Author Topic: Depth of ram rod hole  (Read 3240 times)

Uncle Alvah

Depth of ram rod hole
« on: October 08, 2017, 03:46:42 PM »
I a previous post there was mention of the ram rod hole in my stock, specifically, whether it had been drilled deeply enough or not.

I took some measurements last night.
From where the hole enters the stock, to the bottom, is 10-7/8".
From the bottom of the ramrod hole to the end of the stock is 42-5/8"
From the muzzle of the barrel to the breech plug face is 43-3/8"

That does not leave much of the rod to grab on to yes/no?

Offline c deperro

Re: Depth of ram rod hole
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 03:53:46 PM »
Your ramrod hole ends at the face of the breach plug or a fraction deeper .

Offline c deperro

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 03:58:33 PM »
Fore stock length can very on style of the rifle. iv'e seen them as short as 8 inches and as long as 12.

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 06:07:16 PM »
On all of the stocks I've had the barrels and ramrod holes done by either Dave Keck or David Rase do for me the ramrod hole is 1" deeper than the barrel is with the breech plug installed. Remember, if you are loading, the charge is under the rod, if you are cleaning you install a jag or worm. It works perfect. Bob

Uncle Alvah

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 06:30:24 PM »
Your ramrod hole ends at the face of the breach plug or a fraction deeper

That will require me to deepen the hole by 1 inch. Not sure how I would go about that right now, TOW is out-of-stock on the correct drill bit at the moment. I did not drill the original hole. 

Dave Patterson

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 06:58:43 PM »
Your ramrod hole ends at the face of the breach plug or a fraction deeper

That will require me to deepen the hole by 1 inch. Not sure how I would go about that right now, TOW is out-of-stock on the correct drill bit at the moment. I did not drill the original hole.

Might try Muzzleloaders Builders Supply.  http://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com/mbs3cart/agora.cgi?cart_id=6323280.12445&next=50&product=Tools 

Scroll down the page that opens to the link above.

54ball

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 07:44:06 PM »
 Fix it, don't live with it.

Could you make work? Yep. Personally putting a jag on the rod just to reach the breech....it's just not right...for me. To me the ram rod by itself must be at least the same length as the bore.

I might contact the supplier about this. It may not be worth the cost of shipping back and fourth but the truth is, you are not happy with the product. It's their mistake and for you to make it right it"s going to cost you nearly a C Note when it"s all said and some.....A hundred bucks you were not planning to spend. So I might contact them to see what can be done....

Now if you just want a ramrod drill and don't want to fool with all that....get the drill and fix it.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 07:51:32 PM »
Hi Alvah,

With the barrel in place in the stock, how much of the barrel extends past the end of the stock?

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Uncle Alvah

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 12:58:16 AM »
Hi Alvah,

With the barrel in place in the stock, how much of the barrel extends past the end of the stock?

-Ron

None. I had to move the barrel 3/16" to the rear, so now the stock is slightly longer than the barrel.

Black Hand

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 01:17:15 AM »
I drill the rammer hole to about the front attachment of the trigger-guard. Better a longer rod than short...
For a drill, I have a piece of steel rod from the hardware store to which a bit of the desired size has been attached. I use the existing hole in the forestock as a guide when drilling deeper. Takes longer to set up than it does to deepen the hole.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 01:18:11 AM by Black Hand »

Offline flehto

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 03:07:15 PM »
Usually the RR is even w/ the end of the bbl  but sometimes to make the RR longer, I drill to the front mounting tab of the TG.....if indeed it's worthwhile. 

On a couple builds, the TG's front mounting tab was eliminated by screwing the TG to the trigger plate, but discontinued doing that...wasn't worth it.

If fouling has to be removed in the field, I use a wire brush and the exposed end of the RR has a cross drilled hole for a nail......Fred
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 03:12:13 PM by flehto »