Author Topic: Cheap scrapers  (Read 27552 times)

Offline wmrike

Cheap scrapers
« on: May 01, 2009, 11:07:12 PM »
I don't recall having seen it mentioned here before, but a broken glass bottle or some such makes a lot of cheap, very sharp scrapers in a variety of profiles.  Stick the bottle inside a couple of paper bags, give it one or two good whacks, and you're in business.  Cull out the sizes and shapes you want and run a Dremel grinder over the back end so you only have one cutting edge to worry about.  They work great on most any exterior wood surface, and horns too.  They are amazingly durable.

msblacksmith

Re: Cheap scrapers
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 02:44:23 AM »
i used glass as scrapers many years ago while making some walking sticks. it works great.

Offline Z. Buck

• Fabricati Diem Pvnc
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 06:18:23 PM »
i worked down a raw horn to think enough to see through with broken glass from a candle lantern at my home club rendezvous, of course it wasnt a real hairy nasty horn at the base like some are, you need to file off the really rough stuff or else it will chip off your edge. i would imagine hat any glass other than safety glass sould work, safety glass just breaks into too small of pieces
I Make Inflammatory Statements

Be Prepared

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 04:38:28 AM »
My Dad and Grandpa always used broken glass from old leaded glass window panes.  They claimed it fractured in straighter lines than modern made glass.  Never did anything to make using it safe.  I always get good results but have trouble finding the old glass now. 

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 05:49:43 PM »
I have heard microscope slides are good. Nice size, cheap.

old bandsaw blades, ground to shape for the inside curves.

Acer
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 07:11:06 PM »
I have used glass on wood for bows and gun stocks, as well as horn, and it does a good job. Now, mostly I use old hand saws I find at flea markets and garage sales for next to nothing, good steel that can be ground and filed convex or concave to any shape your needs require. I think they are more durable and won't loose a flake at some critical moment, but I still use glass on occasion.
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 07:27:37 PM »
The black metal strapping used in the shipping industry is also good.  It's of a convenient width and can be cut to size.  Easy to put a good edge on and maintains a degree of springyness allow it to be curved in use.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

erdillonjr

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 08:45:36 PM »
Thanks for the tip. I will try it

Offline whitebear

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 06:43:20 AM »
For glass to use for scraping go to a picture framing shop and ask for some of there rejects.  My wife and I used to own a frame shop and you would be amazed at the amount of scrap glass that there is from custom cutting glass.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

rtc

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 11:54:06 PM »
 ;) As I recall, Hacker Martin, the late Tennessee gunsmith (1895-1970) revealed in interviews printed in the FOXFIRE series [Foxfire 5] that he used broken glass to scrape his rifle stocks. Having learned his skill from Tennessee gunsmiths before him, I take it to be a traditional method & I think I'll try it soon!

Regards,
Rich Colton
Montague, MA

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 03:36:42 AM »
Glass works but I prefer steel. Less likely to chatter since I can hold it better and the glass tends to chip.
I can shape a steel scraper to what I want.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 06:44:02 AM »
Old saw blades, the disposable blades for paint scraping tools(one of my favorites for barrel inletting).   Also stop by an antique clock repair shop sometime  and ask for some of their discarded clock springs.  They usually have a lot of the old stuff being replaced with new and it often comes in a brass container.  The clock spring also works great for making carving chisels after being annealed, shaped and then rehardened and tempered. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 06:47:00 AM by Jerry V Lape »

TinStar

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 03:58:06 PM »
Jerry,

How do you make them into chisels? Could you describe the process?
What other source(other than clock springs) could be used?

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 04:41:03 AM »
"What other source(other than clock springs) could be used?"
Check this out:
  SCROLL CARVING TOOLS FROM HACKSAW BLADES

http://www.scavm.com/gouges.htm

-Joe

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 05:49:58 AM »
What other source(other than clock springs) could be used?
Recoil springs from old lawn mowers.  Hood hinge springs from cars (not the coil type...the flat, wound ones).
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 04:43:54 PM »
It is far easier to buy  annealed 0-1 in the proper thickness and width for chisels and some scrapers.
0-1 makes extremely good chisels and will make scrapers to cut steel if so desired.
Thin springs make excellent scrapers if the material is large enough to make something that can be gripped.
MSC sells blue tempered shim stock that should make great scrapers and its should be shearable to cut to shape.
I have made a couple of large scrapers from sheetrock compound knives but its a PITA and not worth the effort IMO since these invariably have a plastic coating that is really hard and well bonded.
Dan

TinStar

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 03:11:21 PM »
What width and thickness for annealed 0-1 would you suggest? And where is a good source?

TinStar
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 03:31:17 PM by TinStar »

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 08:21:35 PM »
Sorry for the tardy response. Thought I had answered this.
.010 to .015 blued steel shim would be best for burr edge type scrapers with some flex

Hard square edge scrapers are best 3/32" O1.

HEad Redneck

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 06:51:57 AM »
Amazon has O1 online ! HR

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 03:40:51 PM »
When the internet was fairly new there was an old board for discussion of such things as we have here.  They were talking about scrapers for stocks and I worked up the nerve to venture a remark that I used broken glass from old window panes - leaded stuff, didn't chip so often,etc.  I apparently became the laughing stock of the board and was even warned not to advocate dangerous practices or Id be banned.   It took me years before I ever ventured a remark on a gun builders board again, until the ALR that is.  I have always appreciated this board for not making me feel like an idiot.  That experience still stings.

I still use leaded glass, but mostly metal scrapers.  To get around carving I find glass works best for getting into intricate areas.

ShutEyeHunter

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2015, 04:19:49 AM »
For fine work, I use double edged razor blades. Very sharp, very flexible.

Great for scraping off a finish run or where I've had to spot in finish for a repair.

Can break them into smaller chunks as needed for carving etc.

Could put tape on one edge, but I don't bother.  The sharp edge,is,a,reminder that it's a delicate operation

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2015, 06:27:03 PM »
I used to use old scissor blades, but discovered cabinet scraper blades at some store - don't remember where, maybe Home Depot or Home Hardware. They made bow scraping more enjoyable, but the scissors worked very well.  I never tried glass though I see no reason it would not work well.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

kaintuck

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2015, 12:43:05 AM »
kent......just don't run thru the house with broke glass pieces.!!!!!!!!! ;D :D

I'm so bad...I share the shop with a mangy ol tom cat~ and drags in rabbits and squirrels and eats them..........sometimes they stay down...other times it takes a shovel to clean the floor..... ::)

But back to glass......been using that for scrapers for about 30+ yrs

marc n tomtom