Author Topic: Staining Curly Ash  (Read 2353 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Staining Curly Ash
« on: November 05, 2017, 09:20:31 PM »
Hi everyone!
           I have been working on a jaeger style rifle for the last couple of months and still have quite a ways to go before I get to the finishing aspects.

Like most of my projects, I like to look down the road at what will be needed when I get there.

I did some searching here and didn't come up with anything about the types of stains for ash wood or if it takes the stains that we commonly use for maple stocks.

This wood has some very fine curl along with the vibrant grain patterns we see in nice ash along with it's very strong hard density.   

I know that a Germanic rifle using ash may be a bit out there but I have seen a lot of contemporaries with curly maple stocks  and many have caught my eye over the years.
I also admit that this is my first rifle build using ash and my only other experience with it was when I made new handles\frame supports for my grandfathers (inherited) wheelbarrow. :)

I look forward to anyone's help with what they have found to give this fine wood It's best color, showing off the natural grain and curl!    Much appreciated.......Joel
Joel Hall

Offline Pukka Bundook

Re: Staining Curly Ash
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 09:39:41 PM »
Joel,

I'm no expert, Ron Ehlert put me on to Fiebing's leather dye  a long time ago, and I found it will stain most anything and not cover up the grain.
If you use it and are oil finishing, let it dry a few days before oiling, and maybe make it a tad darker than you want as the stain will bleed back a bit with the oil.
Never done it on ash, but aquafortis should work well too. 
Good luck!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 10:36:52 PM »
I’ve got a killer batch of home brew AQF.  It even stains hickory well.  Let me know if you want a couple ounces to try.

It’s got to last me 10 builds though so a couple ounces is all I can spare.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Clear Spring Armory

• Clear Spring Armory FaceBook Page
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 11:20:18 PM »
This rifle is ash with aqua fortis stain, Chambers oil finish. You can see the porous rays (as I've read) in the glare. I've never used a sealer, but I think I will try it next time I do ash. Maybe fill those pores.