Author Topic: Rehabbed Lancaster Squirrel Rifle first range results  (Read 2953 times)

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Rehabbed Lancaster Squirrel Rifle first range results
« on: December 01, 2017, 09:25:37 AM »
I got everything put back together and the ramrod finished today, so I took the gun out for a spin at my range.  I posted a thread on this rifle in the gun building forum: https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=46527.msg457636#msg457636

In light of another topic I read here recently, I would like to confess up front that I used square-ish patches for this session, cut with my patch knife from a strip of cloth.  I tried one store bought round patch but found it too small to easily get the ball positioned properly.  I also cut one at the barrel but I think I am too clumsy to make that enjoyable.

Recovered patch:

First I fired a couple of test shots at 20 yards to see if I would even hit the target, starting with 40 then 45 grains of Goex 3f.  Both shots were close to dead on so I got a fresh target and moved it to 30 yards.  There are 8 shots on this target, shot from a rest - all were 50 grains of Goex 3f, .015 patch and a .395 ball.  Never had to touch the sights!  The low shot was the round patch, not sure if I just shot low or it was because of the patch.  The high shot was the first one I fired.  No wiping between shots.

It was getting late by the time I got the eight shots in.  I took the target down then from a rest and using the same load I shot a gong at 50 yards, then 100 yard, and rang them both.  After that I shot one freehand at the 50 yard gong and rang it as well.  I think it will be a shooter!  That grouping about as good as I can expect with my eyes and open sights.  It should scare a squirrel anyways.   ;D

The strangest thing was I fired 5 of the shots with Lehigh Valley lube, and the last three with Hoppes #9 BP lube, as well as the three gong shots.  I never before had those two lubes put balls in the same grouping as each other - one usually shoots quite different from the other.

Here is my setup at the range:

Thanks for looking!
Curtis
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 07:25:56 AM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
Re: Rehabbed Lancaster Squirrel Rifle first range results
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 02:39:22 PM »
Good shootin...

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 08:47:36 PM »
I think the rifle is shooting very well; you can obviously still shoot well despite eye problems.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 06:16:00 AM »
Thanks guys!   I miss the good old days when I could shoot good groups at 100yds with open sights....  but am glad I can still see as well as I do!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 03:23:48 PM »
She's a keeper Curtiss. Nice shooting. Tree rat's beware....

rdstrain49

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 04:09:19 PM »
Curtis

I'd be more than happy to put a few thousand rounds down range for you at 100 yards and further if you wish.  You supply the rifle ball and powder and I'll supply the labor.

Nice rifle, well done.

Offline Percy

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 05:34:10 PM »
Good shooting! I think you'll do more than "scare" a few squirrels.

Percy