Author Topic: Looking for info on Contemporary Maker, J. Laurie and H.&H. barrels  (Read 9899 times)

Offline George Sutton

I was down to Dixon's a few weeks ago and purchased a very nice left handed, German silver mounted, .45 caliber rifle. The name on the barrel is "J. Laurie."  The gun was probably made in the 1970's.

The barrel is an H&H barrel.

Any information will be appreciated.

Centershot

Offline Don Getz

Jim Laurie lives down in eastern Penna., had a store by the name "Country Gentleman"...I think.   H & H barrel company,
which is no longer in business, made a lot of barrels back in the 1970's and 80's.   Oriinally started by Hoppy Hopkins and
Tom Hobbs, both were good shooters.   They went out of business sometime in the 90's............Don

Offline George Sutton

Thanks for the information Don. He built a nice rifle. The H&H barrel is very accurate. (Of course not as accurate as yours ;D)

Centershot

J.D.

One of the very best shooting rifles I have owned sported an H&H barrel. Unfortunately, I let someone talk me out of it. By that time, H&H had gone out of business.

Mark DeHass, of Ridgeway MO, worked for H&H, back in the day. He still makes excellent barrels, primarily for BPC rifles, but will make straight or tapered ML barrels.

Offline Don Getz

Some of you may remember when Hoppy had the booth at Friendship....he had a large Parrot, not a cannon, a bird, in his
booth.   We used to talk about this being his chief Tool and Die maker.   In addition to Mark DeHaas, he also had Mike
Bell working for him.   These guys were all good shooters, in addition to shooting well, they were quick to tell you how good they were.    I will omit Mark from that group, I have met him, fine guy...ex marine sniper I think.........Don

Offline Clowdis

Don,
I remember, I think, Mike and Hoppy coming to a North Carolina State Championship match sometime in the late 70's or early 80's and winning everything in sight. As far as I know they never sold another barrel to anyone in NC who was there. It's OK to be good (in fact it's great) but if you're there to sell barrels it isn't wise to embarass all your potential customers. I know Mike is still shooting some highpower but don't know where Hoppy went.

Levy

Hoppy Hopkins and Mark DeHaas had a barrel making shop in Ocala, Fla. back in the 80's I believe.  On my trips up and down the State, I stopped by there several times to watch the barrel making in process. The last time I stopped by, they had gone.  I understand that Mark continued to make some barrels.  I have a .32 cal. pistol barrel by them with round bottom rifling.  Back then, I don't thing too many people were offering round bottom rifling.

James Levy

Offline Roger Fisher

First off they got me (H&H) for $100 on a barrel that I never rec'd - Heard that Hoppy Hopkins ended up in South Africa...  I was told he and Mike would practice every day at lunch time shooting inside their building...! Both could shoot the eyes out a fly offhand... for @!*% sure. 

Jim Laurie used to travel the shoot circuit around here and as I recall his long rifles were in fact generally G. Silver mounted.  Haven't seen the guy for many years...Good guy he was!! :)

westbj2

Don, your post about Hoppy Hopkins made me smile.  Last I heard he was selling parrots in Las Vegas.  You forgot to mention that the whole gang at H&H had a penchant for the bottle.  Never could figure out how they did good work and drank like they did.
Who was the guy that ran with them who sold the highly figured maple full of bug holes?
Jim Westberg

Offline Don Getz

Jim....I'm not sure on this but, that wood dealer could have been Ron Griffie.    I know he and Tom Hobbs were good friends, and I know Ronnie liked his beer.   I can recall a shoot that took place down in Dillsburg, Pa., where Hoppy and
Mike were attending.  Granted, these guys were good, but, if I remember correctly they would make sure that every one
knew when they shot a 10.....they would call out to each other whenever they did it.   I don't think they were ever allowed to shoot there again...............Don

billd

Re: Looking for info on Contemporary Maker, J. Laurie and H.&H. barrels
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 06:48:22 PM »
Living in South Africa.........Selling parrots in Vegas........This is getting interesting, sounds like an Elvis sighting thread.

Bill

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 07:03:44 PM »
Living in South Africa.........
I thought we had already covered this here, but it may have been on another board.  Hopkins shot on the US International Long Range team in the last competition, which was actually held in South Africa.

Granted, these guys were good, but, if I remember correctly they would make sure that every one knew when they shot a 10.....they would call out to each other whenever they did it.

What's wrong with that.  I put my gun in the loading rack and turn handsprings whenever I get more than one in a row.  Meanwhile, I have to endure the griping of the guys on either side of me because they only shot 9's.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 09:40:41 PM »
From what I understand H&H's machinery was bought up and is still used today by Riley Smith at Long Hammock Barrels in Oxford, FL.

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 04:11:16 PM »
Jim,
Has Riley been around since the early 70's? I remember Lou Sanchez having a really nice sliding wood patchbox rifle by a maker in Florida and I was wondering if that could have been Riley. Name sounded familiar.
Blair

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 06:51:23 PM »
Nope, his Dad has been around for a while, Richard Smith.  But Riley got into the barrel making business about 6 or 7 years ago. 
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 10:00:24 PM »
Thanks Barbie. I was just curious. At the time I thought it was one of the finest rifles I had ever seen and I just couldn't remember the maker.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 12:51:18 AM »
Blair....the name Riley was also a last name.   If Lou had a gun built, it probably was made by "Fred Riley", a good gun
builder.   As a matter of fact, I think there is a Jager on the Contemporary Blog site by Fred......Don

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 09:19:02 PM »
Yep Don, that is correct! Fred Riley! Geez I hate having these things stuck back in my head somewhere and not being able to pull them out!
Thanks,
Blair

mgcrumster

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 08:34:28 PM »
Greetings all,    If I'm not mistaken I believe Hoppy Hopkins is still shooting Black Powder Cartridge.  Check the Wyoming Schuetzen Web-site,  someone there may be able to help with his location..   As of a 3 years ago,  Mark De Haas, was still making great shooting B/P, and Cartridge barrels :)    Best Wishes,  mgcrumster