Author Topic: Real knapped flint such as english versus machine cut agate type  (Read 6620 times)

jrubin

Ill state my bias leans towards knapped flint that can be optimized in the fields, versus what looks like something that comes off of a cnc machine.  Anyone have more to share with regard to this. Reliability, shots per rock, frizzen wear etc etc

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Real knapped flint such as english versus machine cut agate type
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 07:34:04 AM »
I was gifted some cut flints 40+ or - years ago and had real poor results using them. They seemed to have poor spark and I only got about 1/4 the amount of shots per flint. I have seen them for sale for $12.00 for two so don't plan on using any, any time soon.

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 08:23:07 AM »
Only cut flint I've ever used came with a Lyman GPR Flintlock. It didn't do all that bad, I got maybe 12 or 15 shots off each edge (more then I expected I would), but they are nowhere near in the same class or reliability (IMHO) as good ol' Black English Flints. I would never buy cut flints - but I'm not above using one that comes with a rifle.
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline Frank

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 08:50:20 AM »
Used some cut flints about 30-40 years ago. Didn't work very good and never bought another. Always use black English flints. Thought about trying the French amber flints, but why bother when the English work so well.

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 03:43:23 PM »
All my dad has ever used in his TC hawken since he got it in the late 70's has been the saw cut ones , they do work well for him and has not had a misfire in the woods BUT he maybe only shoots 10 shots a year he's strictly a hunter one flint lasts him 2 or 3 years or more  .if there new and have a sharp edge they do work well enough and are easy to clamp in the jaws and you have two edges exactly the same. But myself being more a shooter than a hunter I prefer knapped flints or chert ,black English or the white grey or tan American varieties all work about the same for me .

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 04:49:57 PM »
I was gifted some cut flints 40+ or - years ago and had real poor results using them. They seemed to have poor spark and I only got about 1/4 the amount of shots per flint. I have seen them for sale for $12.00 for two so don't plan on using any, any time soon.

I prefer the cut flints from Guenter Stifter in Germany.He tells anyone who that is
interested that his cut flints will wreck a poorly hardened frizzen.I like things
with measureable dimensions and these flints are exactly cut or ground to a
specification.
Guenter was the first one I had contact with in Germany and he was looking for
a lock that would hold up with his flints and the ones I sent passed their tests.
The Germans didn't quibble about price and were glad to find someone that didn't
screw them and there is a lot behind that statement that I won't go into.No sense
in scratching off old scabs.
The cut,measureable flint goes back centuries to the flintenschneiderei and reflects
the German propensity for precise,quality work.

Bob Roller

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 10:36:31 PM »
I used some cut flints one time, seems like they came with a Lyman Great Plains like Candle Snuffer said. Little chance of these wrecking a frizzen. I could only get about 5 shots before the edge just crumbled off. I mainly use the black english but I've used the amber french flints to good effect also.
I don't care if it's a new flint or used one, everytime I change one the edge gets knapped. I just like to see those thin slivers of flint and feel that razor edge before a hunting trip. Unless there is a flaw in the flint and it cracks I usually get many shots from a single flint. Give me the real thing and I'm happy.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 01:00:51 AM »

I prefer the cut flints from Guenter Stifter in Germany.He tells anyone who that is
interested that his cut flints will wreck a poorly hardened frizzen.I like things
with measureable dimensions and these flints are exactly cut or ground to a
specification.
Guenter was the first one I had contact with in Germany and he was looking for
a lock that would hold up with his flints and the ones I sent passed their tests.
The Germans didn't quibble about price and were glad to find someone that didn't
screw them and there is a lot behind that statement that I won't go into.No sense
in scratching off old scabs.
The cut,measureable flint goes back centuries to the flintenschneiderei and reflects
the German propensity for precise,quality work.

Bob Roller
Were those green in color?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 01:37:07 AM »
Those few that I've used and the ones I've seen for sale in a Blister pak at a big box sporting goods store were cream or beige colored. Those German flints Bob talks about might have been green. Maybe those German ones were soaked in water or heated before they were cut!   :)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 05:43:01 PM »
Mr Roller reworked a frizzen on one of his locks for me, when I got the lock back it had what I suspect was one of Guenter's cut flints in it, that was one sparking son of a gun. This cut flint held up well for no telling how many shots  and always sent out a shower of sparks.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 09:30:38 PM »
I never used the cut Agate-Flints myself.  Do they work? Sure sounds like it. One I did see was in a lock over in Taylor's shop. It appeared to be sharp, but did not spark well - in that lock. He replaced it with a Tom Fuller napped flint and the lock came alive.
I saw some for sale at the local store, seems to me, they were about $5.00 each. each one, visible in the blister pack, had what appeared to be fault lines.  I bought some caps for the 14 bore and carried on. I use black English Flints sometimes,  I have a few French amber flints that seem to work in both my Verner and Tenn. rifle, but I use Rich's river rocks (chert, it seems) - they are wonderful, love em, while they last. Still have a bunch, thankfully.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 12:36:29 AM »
Daryl,
I've used cut agate, probably from Germany, for years.  My experience is the same as Bob Roller's.   The key here is the material that is sawn.  Here in the states different questionable "stones" are billed as sawn flints.  The German sawn agate is a complex silicate, the same as flint. What we often see would be closer to sharpening stones. 
The stuff from Stifter is high quality and helped me when I had to replace an agate during a test.  Because they are the same thickness, replacing one during a test did not mess with variables like replacing a knapped flint would do.

I would trust the sawn agate from Stifter without question.  In fact I would like to buy more but for the language barrier.  I think you have to know German to order.  I would not trust ANY sawn "stone" from the USA.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 02:28:42 AM »
A mate in South Australia gave me some of his sawn agate flints, they do seem to work fine, I just prefer to us knapped flints. Vlad did a lot of messing around with various local stone to see what might work best. Flint is hard to find down under, not saying there is not plenty of it about, no local knappers that I know of. We do have flint in the limestone cliffs that form the great Australian Bight. I am using a sawn agate flint on an original EIC smooth bore pistol. Sparks really well.

cheers

Gordon
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2017, 02:46:49 AM »
Daryl,
I've used cut agate, probably from Germany, for years.  My experience is the same as Bob Roller's.   The key here is the material that is sawn.  Here in the states different questionable "stones" are billed as sawn flints.  The German sawn agate is a complex silicate, the same as flint. What we often see would be closer to sharpening stones. 
The stuff from Stifter is high quality and helped me when I had to replace an agate during a test.  Because they are the same thickness, replacing one during a test did not mess with variables like replacing a knapped flint would do.

I would trust the sawn agate from Stifter without question.  In fact I would like to buy more but for the language barrier.  I think you have to know German to order.  I would not trust ANY sawn "stone" from the USA.

Regards,
Pletch

Guenter Stifter speaks excellent English so talking to him is no problem at all.
He is also one of the most honest people I have ever dealt with and he got my
locks accepted in Germany when they were rejected by the Americans as being
too expensive.

Bob Roller

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 12:40:07 PM »
I made a flint from synthetic ruby (corundum). It worked very well. But with a hardness of 9 it was a lot of work to cut, and pretty expensive. But most of all it just looked really stupid.

Offline little joe

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2017, 02:16:15 PM »
I have used cut flints from several sources, including Stifer with no good results from any. A friend has a Dangler rifle with a W, Cain assembled Siler lock and the Stifer work great. Try them and see for yourself.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 01:54:41 AM »
I have used cut flints from several sources, including Stifer with no good results from any. A friend has a Dangler rifle with a W, Cain assembled Siler lock and the Stifer work great. Try them and see for yourself.

Your note proves it's the lock,NOT the Stifter cut agates.
Guenter's literature,as translated from German states his
flints will probably wreck a poorly hardened frizzen so
THAT is not the fault of the agate.

Bob Roller

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 02:46:59 AM »
 Used to shoot  lot of flintlock cross stick matches.  Usually 8 to 10 matches a day in the re=entry. Had one set up with an early L&R lock.  It worked best with a Stifter flint set sideways so it had four good sharp edges.. Nary a misfire.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2018, 08:59:50 AM »
Got a TC flinter in ‘73 so old style lock.  Went thru a lot of TC sawn agate as all I could find.  Finally got a rifle w a small Siler and some English flints. WOW!  If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline little joe

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2018, 04:54:39 PM »
Did not say they were  bad Bob, just said they did not work for me, and advised the guy to try them for himself. I have most likely shot as many flinters  as you, as I do not shoot any cap guns. My locks have been Chambers, L and R, Mold and Gun and a BOB ROLLER and some I have assembled myself and I did not have good luck from any of the cut flints from several different sources. As I said try them and see for himself.
Your note proves it's the lock,NOT the Stifter cut agates.
Guenter's literature,as translated from German states his
flints will probably wreck a poorly hardened frizzen so
THAT is not the fault of the agate.

Bob Roller

Offline Daryl

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 02:12:51 AM »
Some time ago, I tried making a 'flint' out of carbaloy. The resulting flint actually worked, but the sparks were dull red and not
 anywhere near as many nor as white-hot as with real flint or Rich's river rocks. It would do in a pinch and can be re-sharpened
on a green stone.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

jrubin

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 05:22:13 AM »
I received a pack as a gift of what looks like machine cut flint bit it is not white but almost a slate color, I will provide a photo shortly, what do you make of this?

jrubin

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 06:11:37 AM »
I have ordered the pack of english knapped flints from track of the wolf along with the small knapping hammer to bring closure to the issue

Black Hand

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 06:43:58 AM »
I have ordered the pack of english knapped flints from track of the wolf along with the small knapping hammer to bring closure to the issue
Send the brass hammer back - completely unnecessary...

Online T*O*F

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 05:35:00 PM »
I've got a small quantity of the cut agate flints if anyone is interested in buying them in bulk.  I'd have to count to see how many are left.  They are from the 70's so I don't know who made them.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson