Author Topic: Which lock?  (Read 1487 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

Which lock?
« on: February 03, 2018, 04:34:56 PM »
Next build based on RCA 85. Which lock? I have an L&R early American classic and a Davis colonial American. Barrel is 44" oct/rd 1 1/16" at breech. 
And man I wish there were better photos of the carving, especially around the tang and wrist and above the patch box.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 05:35:49 AM by Ky-Flinter »
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Which lock?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 04:59:11 PM »
The Davis is pretty husky but the L&R looks very straight. Looking at the pictures in the book, the Davis might fit the architecture better and be easier to center on the wrist. I have done some “delicate-izing” on a Davis Colonial.

1) it’s thick in the bolster so I thinned bolster and inner edge of frizzen
2) cock seems over massive so did some filing there.
3) removed a little of the banana bulge on the lower edge of the lockplate.

That being said if the original builder pulled a different lock from the bucket he would have made it work.
Andover, Vermont

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 05:12:47 PM »
Thanks Rich. I am leaning toward the Davis. As matter of fact I have drawn it out full size with the Davis and I think it will work. I will likely do a little filing on it.
The L&R would be a better fit for a rifle project I have in mind anyway.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 06:11:48 PM »
I also have trimmed the bolster down on the Davis lock. It is quite thick as it comes from them.
It required a bit of careful grinding on the frizzen as well.

If you are going to file down the bolster to make it more narrow, you may find that the mainspring now interferes with the barrel as you inlet the lock, depending on your barrel size.
Several of us working using that lock at WKU onChristians Spring rifles had to modify the mainspring. It was easy to do, and it does not seem to weaken the Spring enough to affect the function of the lock.
I can post pictures if you find that you need to modify the Spring.

Norm.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 06:12:33 PM by Chowmi »
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 06:26:24 PM »
It’s a mighty strong lock.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 06:30:19 PM »
David,

I have to agree with your choice...if I place a straight edge on the photo of #85, it really makes the curve of the lock plate obvious. The cock on the original lock is considerably less pigeon breasted than either of the two choices as well...but it looks like you have enough material to make it work. Keep us posted!

Now down to start the heater in the shop...it was a whopping 7 degrees here this morning...

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson