Author Topic: Braggin Grampa  (Read 10941 times)

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
Braggin Grampa
« on: July 24, 2008, 03:55:33 AM »
Just got back from an hour session at the range with my 13 year old grandson Christian, who's visiting for a couple of weeks  with granpa.  I've only had him shooting once before when he was 11.  Below is 20 rounds of .54 at 25 yards offhand with my 54 flinter.  I put one round in the target, the other 19 are his.  55 grains of powder with a prelubed .20 patch, and .530 round ball.  He's never shot a flintlock before, and had no preconception about flash.  Didn't phase him a bit.

The round touching the dot is mine, the rest including 16 rounds in one hole is Christians

This is what he was shooting, that 42 ins swamped barrel is sweet to hold, and the Siler is instantanious, we had one flash in the pan, and that was because I didn't prick the hole, and we never wiped between shots.
Bill
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 04:02:59 AM by Bill Knapp »
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Michigan Flinter

Re: Braggin Grampa
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 04:34:06 AM »
Bill thats some fancy shooting on your grandsons part doesn't it just make your heart smile! Bring him down to Brokenlock Gun Club this week-end for a woodswalk Saturday and an over -the- log - shoot Sunday. Eric D. Lau Riverdale Mi.

Offline Snakebite

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 05:07:24 AM »
Sign that kid up!!   :)  Great shooting.  So when's Grampa shelling out the $$ for a flinter for him?
Pretty gun too.

BrownBear

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 07:09:13 AM »
I'm probably preaching to the choir, but one grampa to another, SAVE THAT TARGET!

northmn

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 02:10:51 PM »
I have seen these kids that can shoot like that before.  At ML shoots they used to say give him another few years and we won't be able to touch them.  My response was that after they start chasing girls, and developing all those other bad habits some of us still have and are now kind of semi-proud about the ones we gave up when we look back on them they will be as messed up as we are.  Once in a while one would stay dedicated to the shooting.  Enjoy the kids while you can.  Mine have grown up except for one daughter who will be leaving for college soon and still enjoys to hunt.  My grandkids are now about 2 years old and I hope I can be able to enjoy experiences like you just had in another 11 years.  I told my daughter in law that if she leaves the grandson with granddad, sooner or later I am going to start corrupting him by teaching him to build bows, shoot guns and other such things.

DP

JBlk

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 03:10:11 PM »
Thats pretty good shooting for someone with so little experience.Looks to me like its time to consider a present of a new rifle for his next birthday.He will be hooked for sure then.

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 03:27:31 PM »
Way to go Bill.  Lets hope he gets BP into his blood so deeply, he'll make the girls go shooting with him.  I started late with BP, but that's the first 6 dates Tracy and I had.
;  Now, he needs a rifle!

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 04:51:43 PM »
Groom that kid well; but don'e spoil him.  He may be a goodn! ;D

karwelis

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 05:12:31 PM »
good for you! passin the tradition on! some one posted "keep that target" i agree i got my daughters first target from when she was 12.

karwelis
p.s. this is her a week ago

northmn

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 08:16:14 PM »
I had a pretty daughter like that, that was a magnet for boys.  For some reason she and her mother got mad at me on occaision because I would show the boys my guns, I have hair that won't stay combed so can look a little wild sometimes and had archery targets in my yard.  Seemed I scared some of them.  Didn't bother me all that much as some of them needed scaring.  Friend of mine lives on a swampy lake and always mentioned to the boys that you could bury a body in the muskeg and no one would find.  Just casual conversation, he wouldn't think of threatening them.  Mom would get upset but I feel that is what fathers do.  Daugther is married to a pretty squared away young man with a promising future and likes to hunt.  Compared to some she brought home I don't feel bad at all.

DP

BrownBear

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 09:06:27 PM »
Well done!

I'm cemented into family history for an incident at one rodeo where a guy about 10 years older than our daughter (then 15) was showing way too much interest in her.

I finished the bull riding goround, put away all the barrels and such, and came out to him all friendly-like.  Talked about how some of the bulls just weren't up to the job and needed castrating and sent to the sale.  But you had to be real careful how you cut and older bull.  Then I pulled out my nutting knife and leaned forward to use the point and draw pictures in the right place on his pants and demonstrate while I talked.  Mom and daughter were kinda relieved to see him climb in his truck and leave a few minutes later, but surely pizzed when word quickly spread to the younger guys.  "Watch out for her!  Her old man is CRAZY!!!!!!!"
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 09:07:32 PM by BrownBear »

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 11:53:31 PM »
Good story, Bear - I thought all fathers met the new dates at the front door with a stainless bowl and a sharp knife.  A donation before taking out my daughters was the intention.  Didn't get many fellows coming around, I seem to recall.

lew wetzel

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 04:15:43 AM »
i think karwelis,s daughter looks like she could shoot the sack off a nat.dont think to many boys would mess with her....

karwelis

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 05:44:51 PM »
i think karwelis,s daughter looks like she could shoot the sack off a nat.dont think to many boys would mess with her....

no the dont mess with her much. much like northmn, i talk about the mine tunnels and shafts we have here, some of those shaft go down 300-400 feet and ive joked about that if you threw a body down there its sooooo deep even the smell wont get out. lol,,,,,,,seems to have the right affect on "boys" and i guess i'm a little crazy ;D, but thats a dads job right? protect his little girl from somebody just like him? ;D from the guns in the house to the sword and dirk collection(i'm scottish) all displayed thru the house. any boy that gets in just wants to go home! lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
and lew she is a good shot with that thing! i also taught her "self defence" the same art i taught when i was in the Marine Corps.

karwelis
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 05:45:13 PM by karwelis »

Daryl

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 06:15:46 PM »
I think of self defence training as a necessity for your women and girls.  Even if they don't excell at it, it gives a feeling of self-worth and confidence that exudes from them, where-ever they are.  Women who can handle themselves physically, are never statistics.  All three of mine carry turned aluminum colourfully anodized 'kubatons' on their key rings - one in the eye, primary 1st strike point, will penetrate the brain - so Coooooool!

karwelis

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 06:24:45 PM »
i'll tell you daryl, with my daughter its for a lot of reasons, she lives with her mother and her mother does not teach anything to her about "standing tall" so to speak. i have taught her to shoot (she owns 2 rifles) throw knives and hawks, how to ride and survive in the forrest. next she and i work on survival in the dessert. your right about those who dont becoming statistics. my little girl is going to and does allready "stand tall"

karwelis

Daryl

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 12:38:14 AM »
The local Mounties put on a self-defense course for the 'girls' at the local University. Talking with the 'locals' may get such a program installed in everyone's locality.  It is from the 'Mountie' instructor, that the women bought their 'Kubatons'.  Don't let a man carry one, as it will then become an 'offensive' weapon - arguable in court of course as to being a defensive weapon.  I turned a man-size 'kubaton' on the lathe - I'd need a holster for for it -  ;D

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 04:39:34 PM »
Well, last night my grandson tried trap, and using a shotgun for the first time.  He got 10 out of 50.  Not too bad for never having fired a shotgun.  His response, "Let's go back to shooting the flintlock"  I think we got another one hooked.  Now I feel like a drug dealer, but in a good way.  I think the .32 cal southern mountain rifle I'm building might just have his name on it.  This is the second grand child I've had that's got bit by the bug, only 8 more to go.

Bill
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 04:45:18 PM by Bill Knapp »
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

karwelis

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 04:51:41 PM »
good for you! and good for him! i love hearing about kids and how much they enjoy the sport of shooting.

karwelis

northmn

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 05:45:21 PM »
Your doing good Bill.  One problem to consider about building for kids is that they outgrow the rifle pretty quick.  Just a thought that you might not want to put a name on the 32 but keep it for all of them as you have 8 to go and build them a separate rifle when they get more fully grown.   Those less expensive Traditions like Karwelis has his daughter hooked on work pretty good too. 
My son never took the interest in hunting that I have, one daughter would only do so if she could color coordiante the gun to her many outfits she would want for hunting, and the other is hooked on deer hunting with a modern gun.  The son did his stint in Bosnia and Iraq so he can stand pretty tall.  The fashion plate daughter used to enjoy helping me drag out deer and the other could use some of the training you were talking about on self defense.  They are all pretty good kids.  I should really build them each a rifle as kind of a momento from dad, now that I think on it.

DP

karwelis

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 06:34:02 PM »
northmn, build your children a rifle is a great idea the become herlooms. and they can pass them down to thier kids and so on.

karwelis