Author Topic: Powder horns?  (Read 8476 times)

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
Powder horns?
« on: May 15, 2009, 03:22:02 PM »
My wife keeps reminding me that this is her milk cow but all I see are two nice powder horns. This could be a problem...........

Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Ephraim

Re: Powder horns?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 03:26:50 PM »
wow bossy you got a nice set.
Ephraim :o ;D

Offline wmrike

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 03:41:45 PM »
Cow horns, British cars, dark beer, a new lathe, and the list goes on.  Women just don't see the attraction.  Anyhow, nice set.  How old's the cow?

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 03:44:20 PM »
Yeah, nice rack!  ;D  Is it's health good?
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 03:55:25 PM »
I think she is 4 years old so unless she has a "hunting accident" she is likely to be around for a while! She is a Milking Devon which is an old  colonial breed.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 05:19:48 PM »
My wife keeps reminding me that this is her milk cow but all I see are two nice powder horns.
Robert,
In an age where kids think beef comes from McDonald's and don't realize that cows actuallly have horns, it is refreshing to see a cow with them.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 05:54:33 PM »
! She is a Milking Devon which is an old  colonial breed.

Not only were the Devon Red cattle an old colonial breed, they were the most popular breed of cattle in the American colonies during the 18th century.

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 06:52:05 PM »
Like a good friend of mine always says, "All we need is a full moon and a good hacksaw." 

Take care

Coryjoe
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 06:52:25 PM by Coryjoe »

ottawa

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 03:58:07 AM »
I'm working in Honduras and all i see are beauty's for horns but dang there still on the critters munchen grass

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 03:28:19 AM »
I think you've got to exercise patience with la vache.  She won't live forever, and the horns will just get better.
I picked up this pair at our recent gun show - could not resist them, even though I have no idea what I'll do with them.  I've wanted a pair of longhorns forever, and now that I have them, what am I to do?

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 03:49:19 AM »
Hmmmm.  Perhaps a nice pair of Viking drinking cups.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 05:19:21 AM »
They are 23" along the curve and have a base circumference of 10 1/4".  They hold exactly three 355 ml. cans of beer.  If a sac of beer is 24 units, that's a quarter sack fill for a two fisted drinker, like Allen MARTIN.  Can you say, "Yutzelfest!!"
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 04:48:18 PM »
Here you go Taylor. With something like this, you call your mates to meeting and toast them when they arrive.

molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

brokenflint

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 04:54:23 PM »
I'm not a farmer, but I thought cows could be dehorned with problems?  This not the case?  Not trying to case the "Pet" undo strain !!

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 04:26:05 AM »
Robby, those are magnificent.  Did you do the work?  They are likely tougher that the glass bottomed pewter stein that I've been using since 1969...it's covered with scratches and dents from the many times I've used it (hard)  But it still holds 1 1/2 beers  (1/2 litre) and has a lid to keep the wasps out.  Those horn cups are great.
D. Taylor Sapergia

omark

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 04:54:02 AM »
broken, yes they can be dehorned, common practice.   mark

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 03:08:50 PM »
Taylor, I made those about ten years ago. I was making English style long bows and would use the horn tips for bow string nocks, and arrow nocks. There is a lot of horn left over.....so, seemed like a natural progression. I had a pretty nice horn left over from this process and on a whim, made a powder horn, skrimmed it up a bit, took it to someone I thought would know about such things and was invited to a shoot. At the time I didn't own a muzzleloader. I sold the horn for $400.00 at that shoot, went home and started making powder horns. I have made some pretty fancy horns for people all over the country. I don't much anymore and then mostly during good weather. Seems I grew sensitive to the dust, makes me very sick.
Thank you,
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 06:52:32 PM »
I've wanted a pair of longhorns forever, and now that I have them, what am I to do?

Taylor, You need to build a cannon. ;D