Author Topic: Hammer Poll Tomahawk  (Read 7068 times)

S.Willis

Hammer Poll Tomahawk
« on: July 25, 2008, 01:21:36 AM »
I finshed this one up today. Forged from 1 in.square spring off old cultivator. Turned and filed hammer poll. Curly maple handle stained with aqua fortis and tung oil finish. Pour in place pewter end caps.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: Hammer Poll Tomahawk
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 01:44:30 AM »
Beautiful work Stuart!  Very clean looking design.  Thanks for posting.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 02:31:39 AM »
Stuart. it is very nice work!!  How do you turn the poll/bowl?  Is it done separate from the axe head and then threaded or welded to it??  How can you put a tomahawk head in a lathe??  Is there a way to do it without a tailstock??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

S.Willis

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 03:23:12 AM »
Thanks Ken.

Tim, It is one solid piece. I drift the eye,hammer the blade out and the poll part I basically round up leaving it about 3/4 in. longer than needed. I then rough grind the blade and get everything center up as best I can. I use the face plate on the lathe with two pieces of alum. angle bolted to the face plate. I center the hawk head with the blade part in the angle pieces. I center drill the poll part for my tail stock and then rough turn the basic shape I want. I then take files while it is still in the lathe and file to finish it. I do my pipes this way also and drill the bowl after getting to shape. I take it out of the lathe and file any grooves or any other fancy work on the poll or bowl.

lew wetzel

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 04:02:40 AM »
stuart,your hawks are awesome.....

Madcaster

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 06:25:09 AM »
 NICE!