Author Topic: John Derr swivel rifle (possibly rifle/shotgun combination)  (Read 14922 times)

OldHoosier62

Hello everyone, I am a retired FFL and do appraisals for auction houses, collectors, museums, etc. I have a swivel rifle by John Derr inbound from a client who has zero information on it other that the maker. My question is does anyone have any information about the maker other that he was located in Berks County, PA. I know he was a blacksmith, pewtersmith and gunsmith. But I know little else. Any ideas on rarity of his swivel rifles? I'm trying to do the best job possible for my customer but information is sparse so far.

If someone could guide me on posting pictures I would be very happy to post several that could go into your virtual museum to assist others.

Also, in the pictures he provided it appears to me that possibly one barrel is rifled and the other appears to be smoothbore. A very handy item in that era in my opinion.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Jim Hinton aka OldHoosier62

Offline Bill Paton

Re: John Derr swivel rifle (possibly rifle/shotgun combination)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 08:21:21 AM »
Jim,

I sent you a Personal Message. Please email me at wapaton.sr@gmail.com or call me at 907-230-3600 (three hours earlier than Central Time.

Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

OldHoosier62

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 04:14:47 PM »
Will do Bill. Am appraising a knife and sword collection today. will be this evening or tomorrow.

Jim

OldHoosier62

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 04:26:41 PM »
Sorry folks, had a bit of a medical scare and just got back to business.

Customer has decided to auction off the rifle and his estate. Here is the link to the rifle with lots of pictures.

https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/Fine-Percussion-Swivel-Breech-Rifle-by-John-Derr-famous-Berks-County/41999330/LotDetail.asp?lid=41999330&scrollLocationOnCatalog=2686.39990234375

Again, apologies for the delay in responding.

Jim