Author Topic: Information on Scott/Kellsy rifle  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Frod

• Starting Member
Information on Scott/Kellsy rifle
« on: April 22, 2018, 07:33:22 AM »
Hello
Recently picked up a half stock, possibly target rifle, percussion, about 50 cal. Looking to id it. It seems to have german silver buttplate, trigger guard. Pewter nosecap. It has a back action percussion lock. The lockplate and hammer seem to be engraved with a sporting scene. Double set triggers. It has a conventional dovetail sights on the barrel (front is hooded) and a base for a target peep sight on the tang. The base is there but the sight is not. There is a set screw that would tighten and hold a post for the "paddle" style tang rear sight. The barrel is octagon at the breech, then transitions into a multi-faceted barrel the rest of the way to the muzzle. Stock is american black walnut.

There are two names on the stock, bottom, just rear of the trigger guard. One is Scott and the other is Kellsy. There are first name initials but hard to make out. They are stamped into the wood, about 1/8" high in block style.

Does anyone know of these makers and if so, could you provide some info please?  No pictures at this time.

Thanks

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Information on Scott/Kellsy rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 04:31:25 PM »
Interesting, I would love to see some pictures. Could this gun possibly have been made in California? The reason I say that is there was a perported gunsmith in Lake County named Kelsey, who’s family the town of Kelseyville is named for. And target rifles were built by some other local gunsmiths in the early 1870’s. I was raised about ten miles from Kelseyville, in Scott’s Valley. This is a fascinating coincidence. No known example of a Kelsey built gun exists that I know of.

Hungry Horse

Offline Frod

• Starting Member
Re: Information on Scott/Kellsy rifle
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 10:39:10 PM »
Thanks for the response.  Dont know of any connection, california or otherwise.  I was hoping to see if the two names jumped out at someone so I could investigate further.   I will try to get some pictures posted by the weekend.  Going to be on the road off and on this week.  Thanks.