Author Topic: Bedford County flintlock  (Read 5539 times)

Offline cshirsch

Bedford County flintlock
« on: May 23, 2018, 03:57:35 PM »
Hello from Texas.  For the last 6 years I have been working towards opening a business, within my gunsmithing business, of making molds from original flintlock and percussion locks and other parts.   I am specializing in civilian guns and locks used on American made firearms.  I have been very fortunate to have copied some fantastic locks including a wonderful American made 'Germanic' lock from an original Shroyer rifle.  I was lucky enough to have copied two great Bedford County percussion locks, but have yet to find an original Bedford flintlock.  I would like to at least see some photos of one.  Anybody have such a thing or know where one is?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.   thanks, Chris Hirsch

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Bedford County flintlock
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 07:43:48 PM »
Bedford rifles in original flint are rare enough to be almost nonexistent. I do believe there might have been a reference to one in a museum somewhere, but I don’t remember where. A lock from a wrecked rifle might be your only hope.

Hungry Horse

Offline johngross

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 08:12:47 PM »

Offline johngross

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 08:18:07 PM »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 08:55:34 PM »
Bedford longrifle locks are known for their distinctive style. The L&R flint Bedford is nothing but their percussion Bedford lock with the flint parts from one of their other locks adapted to it to make it flint. IMO, the chances of ever finding an antique Bedford lock with this styling are pretty slim. The reconversion is closer I MO.

Hungry Horse

Offline Jay Close

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 09:26:35 PM »
I always felt there was a line of descent from the custom locks John Armstrong was making in Maryland and the locks of Bedford --- perhaps through Peter White???. Away, an Armstrong flintlock would be pretty cool.

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 10:42:52 PM »
johngross, I have seen that one.  I need to see an original flint lock so I can convert one of my Bedford percussion castings to flintlock.  If I can't find an original to see, I won't do it.  I will keep looking.  I have seen numerous converted locks.  I know the original flint Bedfords are very, very rare.  I keep hoping.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 11:57:44 PM »
Jim Whisker's book on Bedford guns has several flintlock Bedford rifles. A few are with the rattail Bedford style lock. Of course I have no idea if they started live that way.
Here's a percussion Bedford on a flintlock plate.

JIM

Offline louieparker

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 02:02:47 AM »
Chris,  For your information,, This is an original John Armstrong lock. Most you see are conversions or never was flint in the first place.. This is original.. Louie

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 03:49:58 PM »
Thanks all.  I'm looking for the typical rat-tail Bedford lock.  I may have located one.  I'm waiting to hear back from the owner.

Offline AsMs

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 09:20:21 AM »
Chris,

Go to the contemporary makers blog, May 1, 2008.  Worth Sutter lock.  This is original flint and may be the closest thing to an original Bedford style flint lock out there.  It is an AWESOME looking lock.

AsMs

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 03:34:58 PM »
Can you please post a link to that post?

Offline AsMs

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2018, 07:00:52 PM »
Thanks but that is not an original antique.  I have the parts for that lock already.  I need an original antique flintlock Bedford lock.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 04:00:01 AM »
I wish you luck on your search for an original Bedford flintlock, but I like what Jay Close said.

An Armstrong flintlock would be pretty cool.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 06:19:05 AM »
I think this one is likely a Track Bedford flint lock. Taylor would know, he built it.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline will payne

• AKA dead eye/ Coder /Ethical Hacker
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 09:30:39 PM »
That's nice flintlock and a great stalk.
🕯
Will

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline will payne

• AKA dead eye/ Coder /Ethical Hacker
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 09:31:51 PM »
I ment to say that's a nice flintlock and stalk.
🕯
Will

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Thomas Jefferson