Author Topic: Copying a Kongsberg 1772 pistol lock. Part1. the lockplate.  (Read 3460 times)

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Yes, I known, I known. I’ve got to many projects going on at the same time, but I was able to borrow this original lock. It’s a flint lock from a 1772 Kongsberg military pistol, gauge 16. It was destroyed in a fire. It’s a bit warped, but useable as a pattern.  I’m going to try to make a pair of locks for a brace of pistols.

I made a tracing of the lock plate on thin cardstock and marked all the holes.  The hole for the tumbler is 9mm. All the screws were non-standard size, so I chose the closest metric size. The frizzen spring screw is M3, all the rest M4.

I glued the pattern to 1/6” brass sheet, drill all the holes (drill tap size) cut it out.  This brass pattern was then glued with locktite superglue to a piece of 7mm thick steel. The blank is then painted blue dykem and pattern scribed around. The glue keeps the pattern from slipping.

All the holes are then drilled with the appropriate drills. The blank is then heated to 170 Celsius, and the brass pattern falls off. Next all the screw holes are taped. It is easier to drill and tap before lock plate is cut out and shaped. Removing the brass pattern before taping avoids enlarging the holes.

Drill 2mm holes all around the plate, outside the outline. One plate takes 154 holes, 2 drill bits and 4 hours.

Saw out the blank and clean up the outline with a file. Remember to keep it square or you’ll change the shape of the lock plate.

Soft solder a chunk of steel to the backside of the plate to clamp it in the vice.

The 1772 lock is a round faced lock. Make a brass pattern for the flat area around the tumbler hole. Use the tumbler hole to line up the pattern, glue, paint with dykem, scribe, heat etc. Remember to scribe line around the plate, 2mm above the lower edge. The face of the lock is rounded down to this line. Start filing at the tail end. Try to stay 1/6” outside the outline. Use a coarse half round file.

Use a pillar file to clean up the outline, then start on the other side with the course half round file.
The vertical line at the nose end marks roughly where the flat part of the plate starts. The horizontal line, the middle of the plate.

Now file away what is left under the tumbler flat. This the most tedious part of the shaping.

The flat area around the frizzen screw is 6mm in diameter. Make a screw with a 6mm head to scribe around. Use a round 5mm chainsaw file to shape this area.  Mark and file a simple flat bevel around the rest of the nose of the lock.

It took me 6 hours to shape the rough blank to the finished lock plate. The total from sheet steel about 11 hours, not counting pattern making.

The brass patterns are reusable and makes it simple to make reasonable indentical parts.

Hope to finish the cocks this weekend.

Best regards
Rolf

« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 03:17:16 PM by Rolf »

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
Very, very nice!!!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Copying a Kongsberg 1772 pistol lock. Part1. the lockplate.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 07:06:15 PM »
That is what I call dedication!Even with a number of short cuts and machines
to work with,lock making is still a very labor intensive thing to do.Being 82
is no help eitherAfter thinking about all the work you have in that plate I will
now take a nap ;D

Bob Roller

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 07:06:56 PM »
Wonderful work, Rolf.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

TP

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 07:21:48 PM »
Excellent work Rolf, thanks for showing us your technique.

Offline davebozell

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 03:35:38 AM »
Amazing work, Rolf!  Keep up the great work and please keep sharing your progress.  Your work will inspire others to take on similar projects.

Offline will payne

• AKA dead eye/ Coder /Ethical Hacker
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 03:53:16 AM »
That's going to be nice lock Rolf.🏆
🕯
Will

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 04:49:08 AM »
Rolf:  the lock filer!  I like it.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 04:50:16 AM »
Great job.
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 06:00:14 AM »
Incredible work Rolf!  It is amazing what can be done with files and patience!  You really did a fine job.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Adrie luke

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 09:54:36 AM »
I know how much time you need. But it is only "your" time

Very great job!

Offline runastav

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 10:36:05 PM »
Rolf, very Nice work as always :)Remember you must also build a D/N 1740 like mine in the front and the 1772 back in photo.
Both build completely from scrach by me years ago ;)
Runar

Online EC121

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 10:56:45 PM »
Great work.  I'm sitting here admiring the spacing on the holes you drilled around the plate.   Amazing what ingenuity and a few basic tools can do.

It's only time!!  Right.

Think about this.

A man's neighbor is complaining about his bumper apple crop rotting before he can pick it.  He says to the neighbor: "Well then feed the apples to the hogs."  Dimwitted neighbor says:  "Great idea."

Two weeks later the man goes by his neighbor's farm, and the neighbor has a 200lb. hog in his arms letting it eat the apples off the tree.  Man says: "Are you crazy?  Do you know how much time that will take?"

Man says:  "Well!!  You said to feed the apples to the hogs.  Besides, what's time to a hog."   

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 07:18:55 AM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 01:53:13 AM »
Wow!  I'd say worth the effort!
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 02:21:57 AM »
When the end product is quality, who cares how long it takes.  Wonderful job of filing.
David

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 06:37:42 AM »
Rolf, outstanding work!

And I totally agree with Bob Roller - after watching all that you have done, time to take a nap!

Actually I've been learning how to cut dovetails on my H. Rupp barrel.  Easier than making a pair of locks from scratch.

Keep up that good work, you are making Treasure!!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline flehto

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2018, 02:27:17 PM »
Once in awhile a discussion arises as to whether someone is a gun stocker or a gun builder.. depending on their starting point and the work accomplished.  You are without a doubt a gun builder in every sense of the word. Beautiful work.....Fred

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2018, 02:48:58 PM »
Great work Rolf!

And wonderful documentation to boot.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline PPatch

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2018, 10:14:04 PM »
There goes Rolf off on another adventure in metal and wood. Admit it Rolf, you are a magician aren't you. I'll tell you something, if it were me filing those lock plates out of nothing on about the second step in the process they would have gone into the scrap bin. I'm that good... :o)

I am going to sit back and watch the magic show, after a nap of course.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Rolf

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 04:42:04 PM »
Rolf, very Nice work as always :)Remember you must also build a D/N 1740 like mine in the front and the 1772 back in photo.
Both build completely from scrach by me years ago ;)
Runar

Tempting idea Runar.  If only I had a nice drawing of both the pistols with detailed measurments like the one I got for that nice Swedish officer pistols. (hint,hint.)

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Rolf

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2018, 04:49:01 PM »
Thank you all for your kind comments. I finished the cocks last sunday and posted that as part two yesterday. It's very picture dense, and seems to cause problems downloading.
The moderators migth have to break it into two parts.  Hope to start on the pans  this weekend and post part three in august.

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2018, 07:01:08 PM »
that is impressive work