Author Topic: I'm building a fowler!  (Read 2868 times)

Longwalker

I'm building a fowler!
« on: July 01, 2018, 03:46:48 AM »
Generally speaking, other than stock configuration, are fowlers constructed the same as rifles? Tang bolt through to trigger plate?  Or tang screw? Pinned trigger guards?  I have really no experience building a fowlers, your help is appreciated!

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: I'm building a fowler!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 03:50:34 AM »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 04:07:34 AM »
The term Fowler covers a broad area and a wide time frame. It would be helpful to state which type of Fowler you are interested in building.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 06:28:59 AM »
A great resource for looking at originals is Flintlock Fowlers by Grinslade.

American fowlers generally fall into one of these categories: Hudson Valley fowlers, New England fowlers, British style fowlers, and “Kentucky” fowlers (almost always made in Pennsylvania).  Each of these main regional types exhibit tremendous variation. 

Guards are almost always pinned not screwed.  A tang bolt typically runs from tang to trigger plate, but on very early ones, runs from bottom up.

The most fun for many of us is not making a generic fowler, but one in the style of an original or several closely related originals.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 01:02:36 AM »
Hi Longwalker,
I also suggest you go to the tutorial section on this site and click on "miscellaneous" tutorials where you will find a multipart tutorial on British fowling guns that provides much, much more detail than Grinslade's book with respect to those style guns.  I suggest that if you want to model your fowler on British lines, forget Grinslade and look at the turtorials.

dave 

Longwalker

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 05:37:38 PM »
Thanks for the reply's. I am building a New England Style Fowler. 24 Ga. 38" barrel, round face English flint-lock and typical Brass English style trigger-guard, thimbles and butt-plate.
Walnut stock with a bit of carving around tang area. Pretty simple actually.  Hoping for a comfortable shooter with shot or ball and plan to hunt squirrels, deer and turkey with it!

The last Flintlock I built was from parts I bought at Friendship from Curly Gostomski,  of North Star many, many years ago! Built a Chiefs Grade Trade Gun, Wish I still had it! 

I will get started on my Fowler soon and will be tapping the collective knowledge from all of you good folks here on this amazing website!

Thanks a lot!
Harry
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 02:13:13 AM by Longwalker »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 06:01:32 PM »
Hi,
Here are some photos of one I built.

dave

Offline Mr. Bubbles

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 11:19:04 PM »
With the toe of the BP angled forward like that, does it have a tendency to want to ride up off your shoulder, or did you weight it in the butt to help keep it down?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 02:24:49 AM »
Hi,
No, it does not ride up at all.  Here is a target shot by me with that fowler.  The scattered shots were with a 0.575 ball and 0.015" patch. Then I used 0.025" patches and the groups tightened up wonderfully.  At 85 yards I had no problem hitting the blackened area off hand.  In fact, I could had to work at getting the gun to miss. Creeping up was no problem.

dave
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 02:35:31 AM by smart dog »