Author Topic: test firing in the white  (Read 968 times)

Offline BillF/TRF

test firing in the white
« on: September 04, 2018, 07:43:19 PM »
I just finished putting together a York County .45 cal rifle from a Chambers Kit.  I am anxious to test fire it although I do not have any finish on the wood.  I am wondering if firing and cleaning it will cause any problems (from powder marks, barrel cleaning, etc.) later when I go to put on a stain and finish on the wood?  It will be  quite awhile before  I can stain it since i want to do some decorative carving and install a brass patch box.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: test firing in the white
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 07:48:20 PM »
Some do, but I don't recommend it.  Now is NOT the time to get in a hurry.
Carving and a patchbox will pretty much take as long to complete as what you've done so far.
What's your hurry? Finish it first.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 07:48:31 PM »
You can go ahead and fire it if you have to.  But you WILL get fouling on the wood which will have to be scraped/sanded off prior to finishing.  That is not a difficult job.
I'd finish the rifle first though.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 10:39:07 PM »
If you can’t wait put masking tape on the areas where you will sweat or stain it with fouling.
Andover, Vermont

Turtle

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 04:09:37 PM »
 I fired a couple of in the white rifles I built myself and had customers do the same. This was when there was a question on fit particularly the Hight of the comb hurting your cheek. I had to reshape a few-hard to do after they are done.
                                                                                        Turtle

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 04:42:50 PM »
Wrap it with Saran Wrap.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson