Author Topic: David Price inspired Sharpening Fixture  (Read 3964 times)

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
David Price inspired Sharpening Fixture
« on: September 05, 2018, 03:55:18 AM »
This year at Dixon's I had the great pleasure to meet Mr. David Price. I wanted to attend his sharpening tutorial on Friday, but did not arrive at Dixon's until Saturday. I stopped by his display on Sunday morning and we started talking about sharpening. He ended up spending over an hour of his time with me and I basically got a personal sharpening tutorial from him!

Once I seen how his sharpening fixture worked I knew I wanted to build one. I decided to add a slight twist to it though. I also wanted to utilize the diamond and ceramic stones for sharpening gravers with my Lindsey sharpening system.

So I did some planning and headed to the big orange store and bought a few pieces of red oak for the project and laminated them together. I already had bought the diamond stones from wood craft earlier in the year. I ordered the fine and ultra fine ceramic stones, and the ceramic file set (not pictured) from knifecenter.com. And a sheet of .375 thick HDPE for the graver sharpening jig to slide on from McMaster Carr. This sheet is set 1/2" below the surface of the stones per the instructions of the Lindsey system.

There are two grooves in the board for different size rods, 5/8", 3/4", and 1" diameter for sharpening gouges. There is an 18" piece of leather loaded with semi chrome polish glued into the fixture as well for a strop. The stones stick up above the board by .030 for honing the back side of chisels.

Mr. Price if you happen to view this post I would like to hear your thoughts on this system. And again I thank You for the time you spent with me at Dixon's!!

20180823_171314" border="0

20180904_170701" border="0
20180904_171103" border="0
20180904_170805" border="0
20180904_171046" border="0
20180904_171449_001" border="0
20180904_171512" border="0
20180904_171623" border="0

« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 06:06:15 PM by Brian Jordan »
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Craig Wilcox

Re: Sharpening Fixture
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 05:24:07 PM »
What a nifty piece of work!  But now I will have to build one for myself...

Does the Lindsey template wear a bit from your ceramic stone?  At least, it looks like ceramic!

Thank you for showing this.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 05:45:06 PM »
What a nifty piece of work!  But now I will have to build one for myself...

Does the Lindsey template wear a bit from your ceramic stone?  At least, it looks like ceramic!

Thank you for showing this.

The template does not ride on the ceramic. it slides on the HDPE (high density polyethylene) sheet. It is the same material that cutting boards are made of.
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 08:23:58 PM »
Brian you did a great job on that fixture. You should have no trouble keeping your tools sharp if you keep it handy ;). This fixture is simple and handy which is what you want during the course of a build if it is too complex to use you will not touch up your tool's edge often enough. Before I start for the day I sharpen all the tools I plan to use then I only need to do a quick touch-up during the rest of the day. ;D ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline PPatch

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 08:58:42 PM »

It sure would, and rapidly ruin the template. The HDPE is the way to go, barely any abrasion.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 09:24:15 PM »
Obviously you have plenty of storage space in your shop.  I'd be hard pressed to find room for one of the stones, let alone the whole fixture.  All this neat stuff adds up over time.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 04:12:48 AM »
Brian, thanks for keeping me from hunting down a piece of honing ceramic that large!  Yeah, HDPE is a great thing to have!

Took me a while, as I made separate blocks for each stone, but now I can have nicely sharpened graver bits!  I think I will do  as you did but gotta get me a nice piece of wood first.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.