Author Topic: Frazier Museum J P Beck pix  (Read 26515 times)

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Re: Frazier Museum J P Beck pix
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 08:49:20 PM »
Although hard to see in the photos, there are several HUGE casting pits in the buttplate, and I think one or two in the sideplate.  They did not seem to concern him.

;)

The lock is totally normal.  Very common to have the frizzen spring mounted with a screw from the inside.  In fact, more often than not.

Just me, but I would put a date of 1780's-1790's on this gun.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 08:50:51 PM by Stophel »
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline b bogart

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 03:50:48 AM »
This has been one of the most informative posts to me. Lots of detail discussions and pictured examples. Thanks gentlemen!
Bruce

cheyenne

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2009, 06:01:10 PM »
Thanks for posting this.

Offline chrisdefrance

• Chris de France
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2014, 04:49:12 PM »
Paul - Thank you for all the photographs and measurements. This is an outstanding wooden John Phillip Beck. You made my day with all the posts. Thank you, again.

Chris
"These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2014, 12:36:26 AM »
Great information and pics.  Thanks!

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2014, 01:32:34 AM »
Can someone provide what's on the engraved inscription on the butt?  Can't make it all out in the pic's.

Thanks

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2014, 02:40:02 AM »
Beck is probably my favorite builder.  I am now working on a gun with a 44" octagon to round barrel in 28 ga. smoothbore.  It
will be a Beck "barn gun", might even do a wood box on it, but that will be the only addition.  These pictures have to be the
best thing going for studying his guns.  Paul, you have done a great service for us guys that like to build Beck guns......Don

oakridge

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2014, 07:58:27 AM »
Thanks for the "revival". I enjoyed it as much as the first time around.

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2014, 04:24:40 AM »
A very informative thread. Thank you for all the pics and information. I have had parts for a Beck gathering patina in my parts box for quite a while. I need to make use of them.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2014, 03:26:09 PM »
How long are the ramrod pipes?

Coryjoe

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2014, 04:07:46 PM »
It is nice to see this thread revived!  As to the unanswered question regarding the butt plate inscription;  "To President George Washington, Mount Vernon, A.D. 1791, Virginia".  This rifle was found in a house in the 1920's near Jonesboro Pennsylvania, and was purchased for one hundred dollars. Research has not documented it to be Washington's, but the engraving is of the period of the rifle.  This rifle is pictured and described in the book "Accouterments"  (first volume) by James R. Johnston.  This was my source for the above information.
Joel Hall

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2014, 08:43:38 PM »
It rather resembles the barrel engraving on the Martin Meylin gun. This gun was old when it was given to Washington; it may be one of Beck's earliest pieces given the resemblance to the Beck in the KRF display at the NRA museum. With so many top makers on hand in Lebanon in the 1790s, why would the citizenry present an old arm to him rather than a new one by Beck, Beyer, Berry or other builder? Just some unsettled thoughts on this.
It is a wonderful gun regardless of its provenience and would be the centerpiece of any museum's collection, regardless of who owned it.
Dick

Offline ptk1126

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2014, 10:37:47 PM »
The ramrod pipes are 1.25" long and .375" inside diameter.

All the best
Paul