Author Topic: Finally Finished - RCA 17  (Read 2684 times)

Offline Sawfiler

Finally Finished - RCA 17
« on: October 23, 2018, 03:09:14 AM »
I finally got this finished up. There were a few nagging loose ends that I hadn't taken care of until this weekend, I hadn't pinned the nose cap on, engraved the barrel inlay, added file work to some of the brass, etc.  I reblued the barrel because I wasn't happy with it and added some file work to the lock tail and reblued that while I was at it. This is an 'in the style of' rather than a bench copy so some of the things I have done might not be totally correct. I welcome criticisms and thoughts on what I may improve on next time. This is my second gun, hence the No II on the barrel inlay. This was started and mostly completed during the Canter's Cave Class last January.

The wood is cherry my dad and I milled from a log off our farm. The secondary strip is walnut as per the original (the walnut was off the farm as well). Wood finish is easy off oven cleaner (get the heavy duty that actually has lye in it) under about eight coats of boiled linseed oil. Lock is a Davis Colonial. Trigger guard is a Ken Gahagan sand casting. Barrel is a Colerain Griffin Fowler 16 bore. All other furniture was made in the class.

I would like to thank the Kentucky Rifle Association for their sponsorship to the class. Ian Pratt and Ken Gahagan for their patience, knowledge, and generous lending of tools and supplies. The Canter's Cave staff for the awesome atmosphere of the facility they have there and all you folks on here that have offered advice and answered questions.  Also, any of y'all who are under 30, there are two scholarships offered this year. Please apply to them, you will be more than glad you did. One through Muzzleloader Magazine and the other through the KRA/KRF. They are sticky posts on the gunbuilding forum. The difference between my first gun and this on is night and day, and that class is the sole reason for it. Where else could you spend an entire week (6 days at 10+ hours per day) improving your gun building. I grew more in that week than I would have after years of going at it alone. I cringe now looking at the first gun because I see so many things wrong. Seriously - I cannot say enough nice things about the class, the instructors, the facility, and the KRA for helping me to afford it. It was great.

Also, I am looking forward to attending the KRA show in Front Royal this weekend. I hope to meet some of you there.
Wish I enjoyed what makes my living
Did what I do with a willin' hand
Some would run, ah, but that ain't like me
So I just dream and keep on bein' the way I am

Offline VP

Re: Finally Finished - RCA 17
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 03:35:59 AM »
Ben,
I think the class paid off for you in lots of ways. A great looking gun. The Kentucky Rifle Foundation was happy to sponsor an enthusiatic builder like yourself. We will look forward to your visit to the Virginia - Kentucky show this weekend at Front Royal.

VP

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 04:01:10 AM »
Boss gun!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 06:08:07 AM »
Hey Ben - your gun looks great, congratulations! Glad to see you have finished it. We enjoyed having you in class and we're really grateful that the KRF made it possible with their scholarship program.   You have another gun project in the works yet ?

Offline alacran

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 01:46:22 PM »
I really like the color. Why not use Red Devil Lye, if that is what turns the Cherry dark?
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 02:42:10 PM »
Really nice job, Ben. Glad to see it all come together.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

n stephenson

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 03:58:46 PM »
Ben, Nice Job!  I have always liked the original. That is a neat gun! I think you did a good job making yours like the original. When I see your gun , I automatically think of the original. The one thing that I notice , is not a big deal, but I would like to see the trigger guard inletted a little deeper. Once again NOT a big deal , they just look better. GREAT JOB!!!  Nate

Offline Richard

• North of 54
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 06:36:03 PM »
Nice work Ben. I especially like the brass barrel inlay. You’re going to need a third level on that gun rack. :)

Offline Sawfiler

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 06:52:22 PM »
I really like the color. Why not use Red Devil Lye, if that is what turns the Cherry dark?

I could have used the Red Devil, but had the Easy Off available. The lye is the active ingredient that makes the cherry turn dark. The more lye you apply the darker it gets. There are threads on here talking about the process. I think I put too much on this stock, it got a little darker than my practice pieces.

Nice work Ben. I especially like the brass barrel inlay. You’re going to need a third level on that gun rack. :)

This is over the front door, and the gun below this is an old CVA kit gun my dad put together in the 80's. I think I'll add a few more of these around the house before its over with.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 10:54:20 PM »
I really like the stock shape on that gun. Should be really comfortable shooting, unlike the hump-backed commercial rifle below it.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Sawfiler

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 12:22:03 AM »
Very comfortable to shoot. I have only fired shot out of it, but the early style of this gun with the 2" wide and very tall butt plate spreads any recoil out over a large area. Feels more like a gentle nudge than a sharp recoil. I am sure a roundball would be different, but it points very naturally and is a good shooter. Very pleased with how it turned out.

Offline Jeff Stewart

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 03:31:34 AM »
Really like it. The class may have helped, but you obviously have talent.  Well done, sir.
Jeff

Offline PPatch

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 05:56:58 PM »
Congratulations on completing your rifle Ben, I think your finish looks great, not "too" dark.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 06:34:03 PM »
Ben, you have done a great job!  Really looks nice, with good workmanship.  Thanks for showing it.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline JW

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 07:42:31 PM »
I'd be proud to carry that'n. I like believable guns and yours has that feel. Well done!

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 07:47:16 PM »
I prefer the darker shades of a Cherry stock with just a hint of the grain showing.  Good job.
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...