Author Topic: Trail Walks  (Read 5843 times)

Daryl

Trail Walks
« on: June 11, 2009, 05:10:39 PM »
Won't be long before this is what we'll be seing on the trail. The foliage is coming in thicker and shooting lanes are tightening up.

What do your trail walks look like?
Here's Taylor

Here's Crispy

Here's Leatherbelly

Here's Hatchet Jack

Here's Clarence - a new BP shooter from :"The Dark Side" - IPSC Champ.

Only one missing is the photographer.

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: Trail Walks
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 05:30:09 PM »
Gotta tell ya, first impression was that "they are shooting in towards a waterfall!" turns out no it was black powder smoke.,   They are actually shooting black powder ;D

Funny how most shooters in garb look similar worldwide, except that boy that is not PC.  You will get him outfitted I suspect.

No then, how did you manage to scrape the black flies off the camera lens w/o schmutzing the lens..... ??? ::)

Nice - and thanks for taking the time to post the photos....

BrownBear

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 05:33:47 PM »
Your post is quite a coincidence.  A group of us spent yesterday morning at a new shooting spot, but with chainsaws and brush whips rather than rifles. 

The photos make yours look prime for the same treatment, though I recognize that the atmosphere changes if you open it up too much.

Great post!

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 05:41:08 PM »
What do your trail walks look like?
Same as yours.........just different kinds of trees, with a few gulches thrown in.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 06:20:34 PM »
The chainsaws and brushcutters were used a couple weeks ago, opening up the firing lanes and with the leaves still not quite in full size(2 weeks ago), it's quite a bit more open than these pictures of last fall.  It will tighten up just about perfectly for the Rendezvous here at the end of June.

The 'bugs' are bad and some sort of protection is needed - badly. Aside from a full suit of bug-proof clothing & netting, a simple spray of bug dope seems to work fairly well, especially on the hat and back.

Only trouble is, the barrels seem to attract mosquitoes, especially the front sight, for some reason. It's difficult to get a good aim with a mosquito talking to the bead or blade while standing on the barrel.  So far the black flies aren't too bad - nasty little beggars - even 95% Deet isn't proof against them & I can't wear anything stiffer than about 28% these days. They seem to like lemons here, so citronella dope, while reasonable for mosquitoes, doesn't work well here on black flies.

There are days, when only a small, electronic, male mosquito 'buzzer' works. Solar powered, and quite small - I can't hear that decibel level, but my wife and kids say it's aggravating. It is for annoying female insects, afterall! ;D

jim m

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 09:19:14 PM »
yep, same senario,different trees and lots of steep hollers thrown in for good measure

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 02:49:28 AM »
Hollers is something I did last Monday when I bashed the skin right off my big knuckle, right hand, on the muzzle's corner.  Talking again!  It was interesting to look under the flap and see the tendons and bone.  Strip of failry clean patch material, split for the final knot & LB had it tied down and OK to carry on shooting. Bush first-aide at it's best.  Not the first time for either of us - by a long shot.

chapmans

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 03:01:00 AM »
Daryl,
  I'm leaving for Friendship tomorrow and God willing and the creek don't rise (that's a real possibility) we'll shoot the woodswalk (probably several times) so I'll try to take some photos and post, it will be 10 days before I get home so you may have to remind me.
   Regards, Steve Chapman

chapmans

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 03:12:48 AM »
 Daryl,
  Here are a few from last spring, these may have been posted before.

Steve C.

doug

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 07:48:46 AM »
      The targets are on my home range in Nanaimo and the shooting pictures are at Port Alberni, both towns in the south of the great white nort.

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 03:22:37 PM »
TKS Steve and Doug - hey Doug - I've got a 14 bore would about kill that elephant target.  I let drive with a hunting load and WW ball on one of our 100 yard targets, a duck - and made a U out of it. Now you can't tell what it is.  For years, it was a duck - .54's, .58's, .62's all have clanged that target - still in good shape - till the B. B--ch came home to roost.  Love that 14 bore for 'soft' targets.

Steve - shorts? - no bugs around there? - THAT would be special - not normal, but certainly special.

doug

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 06:54:12 PM »
      It is a tough choice, how strong/thick to make the targets.  One of my pet peeves is large targets made out of 3/4" thick plate that take a cannon ball to make them move.  We have people shooting everything from .40 cal up to .75 cal and the .40 in particular is difficult to tell if there was a hit.   Currently I am using 3/8" plate as the best compromise.  Anything thinner just does not stand up and anything thicker does not particularly move for small calibers.  Also getting away from cylinders; we had one that people rarely appeared to hit but each year when I went up to paint it, there were lots of hits on the top (old scuba tank).  Similar was a piece of rectangular tubing about 4" x 6" at 75 yards that I seemed to miss an awful lot.  Turned out that it was slightly at an angle and fastened on both sides to that it only moved for and aft.  A hit on the side would move it about 1/2" sideways once then steady; impossible to see.   Also had a batch of steel that must have been high in phosphorous or something because after relatively few shots, chunks would start breaking off.  Similar targets from other steel would just gradually bend with more shooting.

cheers Doug

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 08:22:29 PM »
      It is a tough choice, how strong/thick to make the targets.  One of my pet peeves is large targets made out of 3/4" thick plate that take a cannon ball to make them move.  We have people shooting everything from .40 cal up to .75 cal and the .40 in particular is difficult to tell if there was a hit.   Currently I am using 3/8" plate as the best compromise.  Anything thinner just does not stand up and anything thicker does not particularly move for small calibers.  Also getting away from cylinders; we had one that people rarely appeared to hit but each year when I went up to paint it, there were lots of hits on the top (old scuba tank).  Similar was a piece of rectangular tubing about 4" x 6" at 75 yards that I seemed to miss an awful lot.  Turned out that it was slightly at an angle and fastened on both sides to that it only moved for and aft.  A hit on the side would move it about 1/2" sideways once then steady; impossible to see.   Also had a batch of steel that must have been high in phosphorous or something because after relatively few shots, chunks would start breaking off.  Similar targets from other steel would just gradually bend with more shooting.

cheers Doug
Am curious.... how long a hangi down chain/chains from it's top mount did you have.?  Would longer hangi downs (2 ft or so) have allowed that cyl to swing with a 40 cal??  If they swing too long a dampener chain draw on bottom would cut the swing for the next shot...?

Offline LynnC

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 09:26:38 PM »
Enjoyed the Pics - Looks like Fun.......................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

doug

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 11:31:31 PM »
Am curious.... how long a hangi down chain/chains from it's top mount did you have.?  Would longer hangi downs (2 ft or so) have allowed that cyl to swing with a 40 cal??  If they swing too long a dampener chain draw on bottom would cut the swing for the next shot...?

This particular target was bolted straight onto a tight horizontal chain although others in the past have been hung down 6" to a foot sometimes with a drag chain below.  Over the last 3 or 4 years we have switched to a moveable tripods made out of scrap 1/2" round stock or scrap rebar.  My latest version has been to put a short projection up above the cross bar on one side to keep the swinger from sliding off of the tripod.  We tape an empty shotgun shell on the other side for the same reason.  Reason for the tape is that the back leg is removeable for easy transportation..  The advantage of this system is that we can move or replace targets very easily and quickly compared to the old wooden supports and chains and so forth that we used to use, plus no nails in the trees.  final note is we now put some binder wire over the hooks on the swingers so that they don't jump up and off of the tripod.  I should mention also that the spinning targets seem to stand up very well and we are up to 4 of them out of 24 rifle targets on the trail.  Pistol targets are 1/4" plate because they take much less of a beating.

cheers Doug