Author Topic: Trail Walk Etiquette  (Read 5231 times)

Offline LynnC

Trail Walk Etiquette
« on: June 11, 2009, 08:13:35 PM »
Where can I find the safty rules and regs for your average trail walk?

Though I've been burning BP for more than 20 years I've pretty much been a lone wolf at it.  Never been to one myself - but maybe one day.

I'd appreciate any info......................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

jim m

Re: Trail Walk Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 09:25:55 PM »
Lynn, don't know of any book, but some rendezvous will have printed woods walk rules.  common sense, and safety consciousness are the best bet. if you get a chance to go to one just ask, I'm sure most will be glad to have you and will gladly explain any rules they have. our woods walks are very informal except for the scoring. no set order as to who shoots next just who's ready says so and steps up. it is just common courtesy to keep quiet when someone is shooting unless of course they deserve a little harassment

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 10:09:52 PM »
Where can I find the safty rules and regs for your average trail walk?

Though I've been burning BP for more than 20 years I've pretty much been a lone wolf at it.  Never been to one myself - but maybe one day.

I'd appreciate any info......................Lynn

Good question.  I'll be going to only my second woods walk shoot this weekend.  If they are all that informal I wouldn't think a "rule book" would be needed.  As another lone wolf shooter I do understand why you'd ask.  Judging by the friendliness I've seen so far everyone seems to want to be helpful.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 10:26:58 PM »
Trail walks (not runs) are usually laid back; but made safe.  Good to have the trail in form of a loop shooting to the outside of the loop into a safe background; but you can assume that much.   Stations are marked and often have a toe the stake spot to fire from so its easy to stay behind the hot rifle, and every shooter shoots from the same spot and distance.   I for one have noticed that the tall guys have to shoot thru the tree limbs and bush and the short guys have a clear slot ;D

Of course the idea is to shoot out of the bag (no draggin a shootin box). Some demand that range rods are not allowed but they are few around here at least.

Go out in groups and do not reload til at the next station unless they are close together.  One shooter shoots at a time.  The harassment and amount of it is up to the shooters in the group.  It makes it all part of the fun.   Although harassed at times, I can hear v little of it so it matters not to me.  All normal safety 'rules' are or should be used.   i.e muzzles up, no priming or capping til muzzle down range at the shooting position.   And by God no blowing down the muzzle.   I'll say this and no more about that:: I have seen guys blow down the muzzle after they had a flash in the pan :o :o  Scared living H      out of us and they were told about it. (nicely)))))) ::)

willyr

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 01:16:53 AM »
Lynn: We have done several trailwalks near Renfroe, Ms. Probably not as long a drive for you as it is for me. Renfroe is on Highway 25 about 12 miles toward Louisville from Carthage. If you would like, I'll let you know when the next one is scheduled.
Be Well,
Bill Ridout

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 02:42:47 AM »
Roger's list of etiquette pretty much prevails here as well.  We are trying to ween people off blowing down the tube - some instructors are still teaching that in BC.  At one time, within the BP Association, it was a rule that you had to blow after each shot. Range rods, we don't care, but all loading is out of a bag or pouch, not a 'fishing' or other tackle box.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 04:13:10 AM »
  Trailwalks are pretty much all we do up here in the GreatWhiteNorth. Way more fun then punching paper. I'd like to try a quail walk sometime.

doug

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 07:40:56 AM »
    Generally the order of shooting is set informally on the first station and we more or less stay with it for the rest of the trail unless someone runs into a problem and stops to knap a flint or similar, then they quite often will shift to last in the sequence.  We usually try to keep groups to 5 or less just so that you don't end up with a large bunch taking forever to move to the next station.  I also try to shoot with someone other than my wife, if I am in a group of 2, only so that in the unlikely situation that I do shoot well, there is no question of my score.

cheers Doug

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 03:24:10 PM »
I don't shoot with my wife 'cause I can't stand to be beat! :'(  Throws me off my 'game'. ;D ;D ;D

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 04:59:16 PM »
I don't shoot with my wife 'cause I can't stand to be beat! :'(  Throws me off my 'game'. ;D ;D ;D
Whoa, When Barbara was still shooting (and well) and she was shooting at 25 yds I made sure that I was over shooting at 100!! ;)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
Just read my own post.  I meant to say a rule book WOULD NOT be needed. :-[
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 09:01:40 PM »
Thank You All for the good info!

So basicaly it's Common sense firearms safety, muzzle up, good backstops, load at stationsfrom the pouch, prime at firing line, order of shooting informal & I'm not much into razzing anyone.  Correct me if I'm  missing anything important.

Roger - fear not - I'll not be puttin my noggin over the muzzle for any reason ;)

Bill R - I thank you for the invite.  Being self employed, my Saturdays are major working days like most days and a lot of Sundays.  Feast or famine in my business.  Feast right now and for forseeable future.  Sometimes business slows in the winter but it didn't this year.  Would love to go but I don't see it happening.
Maybe this winter.

Anyway, Thanks again sir for the invite!

I'm thinking about cutting a few trails on my place.
At least I could practice in an acceptible fashion untill I could go to an event.

Thanks Again.........................Lynn

« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 09:07:43 PM by Lynn Cook »
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......