Author Topic: Homespun knives  (Read 1778 times)

Offline jcmcclure

Homespun knives
« on: December 22, 2018, 07:10:51 AM »
My Lieutenant knows that I like to do period blades and wanted to know more about a couple old knives that he had acquired when he was younger.  While I do not know the age they are interesting pieces and most likely homespun pieces made here in Kentucky.

The dagger once held a razor edge, had a copper guard, hickory handle and pewter on pommel and hilt.

The short knife has what appears to be hickory haft that has been scored, there is a forged guard and it feels pretty good in the hand.

Just thought I would share...these homespun knives always interest me.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 09:12:37 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Gun_Nut_73

Re: Homespun knives
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 08:36:17 AM »
IMO, the first knife, with the flat scales, is a dead ringer for a WWI German trench knife.

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 08:40:25 AM »
IMO, the first knife, with the flat scales, is a dead ringer for a WWI German trench knife.

Trench knife hit my mind on that one too!

Offline WH1

• Capall Mara Forge Website
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 03:17:14 PM »
what are the dimensions on the dagger length width etc.  it is a very cool looking piece.  I really like the pewter.
thank you for sharing them.
Todd

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 02:51:54 PM »
Agree the one is a WWI German trench knife style. The other dagger type is anybody’s guess...including another trench knife. The Allies were more eclectic in their knife design with many being one-off designs or small runs. An interesting subject but well out of scope for this forum.
Others mileage may vary