Author Topic: Paneled Horn/Question on Base Plug Pics Added  (Read 4212 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Paneled Horn/Question on Base Plug Pics Added
« on: June 15, 2009, 05:20:49 PM »
 This horn is 14 1/2" around the outside curve including stopper and base plug. It has eight panels on the body and eight on the stepped neck. The base plug is about 2 1/4", of walnut with a staple in it and held in with home made nails. The stopper is turned walnut.

Tim C.

PS: Any constructive criticism is be welcome. As far as that goes any criticism is welcome. Thks,TC  

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 09:36:00 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline b bogart

Re: Paneled Horn
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 06:21:52 PM »
Dog gone it Tim that's another beauty! Thanks for sharing.
Bruce

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 06:27:08 PM »
Tim, nice attention to detail.  I like the way the panelling follows the natural curves of the horn.  Having never made a panelled horn I think I'll get some advanced guidance before I try and ruin a horn.  I would imagine the horn should have moderately 'thick' sides and hopefully the base area should be able to round for a nice base plug, whether turned or inset a flat style.  I do like the coloring.  Keep up the great work and inspiring, at least, this humble horner.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline John Proud

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 04:29:34 AM »
Very nice horn. Really nice flow to the panels, complimenting the natural curve of the horn. John 

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 05:06:33 AM »
Tim,
Yeah it's nice if you like that sort of thing.  Course I love that sort of thing, so it is awesome.  I agree with John you did a great job of flowing with the natural shape of the horn, which only shows it off more.  Anytime that is done well that is that mark of a good horn worker.  Course no one in here questions where you stand in that regard. 

Looks great, keep sharing.  I have been too busy unfun stuff to get much honr work done.  I have a few projects on the bench though, maybe in the next couple of weeks. 

Take care

Coryjoe

Offline trentOH

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 05:33:14 AM »
Not to mention that it gives 16 distinct "canvasses" for writing or artwork !

Offline Longshot

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 03:09:52 PM »
Tim-
Outstanding skill and an eye for style!
I really admire that rolled edge where the base plug meets horn; wondering how you chucked the plug to work that detail.....between centers?

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Paneled Horn/Answer to Question On Base Plug
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 07:24:01 PM »
Tim-
Outstanding skill and an eye for style!
I really admire that rolled edge where the base plug meets horn; wondering how you chucked the plug to work that detail.....between centers?

Here are a couple of pics that may help, This not the base used on this horn. All the bases start out between centers. Turn a spigot on one end so it can be put in a chuck and then rough turn it to shape, while still between centers. Then chucked it up, the base is turned to fit the horn and then hollowed out. Then turn it around and chuck it up using the hollow and finish turn it..  With the base on the chuck like this you have good access and it can be easily turned. Hope this helps.

Tim C.  

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 09:10:22 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Longshot

Re: Paneled Horn/Question on Base Plug Pics Added
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 02:59:49 PM »
An expansion chuck!
I'm guessing that a long enough plug base will allow me the safe clearance to finish turn that rolled lip on the headstock side.  My chuck is kind of bulky.
Thanks for the follow-up detail.

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
Re: Paneled Horn/Question on Base Plug Pics Added
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 05:49:45 PM »
Longshot,

All you have to do is turn the part of the plug closest to the horn when installed before you turn the butt plug around to finish the outside surface of the plug.

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393