Author Topic: Need Help identifying Two Rifles  (Read 5154 times)

Sixgun

Need Help identifying Two Rifles
« on: June 17, 2009, 05:36:21 AM »
Greetings ALR, hoping few good patrons could assist me in figuring out what I've got here...

H Gano Co. ?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Need Help identifying Two Rifles
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 02:15:45 PM »
Left is Ohio, possibly W. Va.  and right is possibly Indiana. Post 1840.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Levy

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 04:03:31 PM »
I think Mike is right on track.

James Levy

Sixgun

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 01:06:14 AM »
Might be more confused now... Can someone please explain to me in laymans what this means? Value, or Replicated? Having a hard time searching for this information. Not familiar with these guns at all..

Has anyone heard of H. Gano Co. ??
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 01:12:41 AM by Sixgun »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 01:19:06 AM »
Original intact plain percussion rifles made by unknown builders can be found from $200 on up depending on who wants them, seldom topping $1000.  The odd things is they are often cheaper to obtain than a contemporary new custom rifle in a similar style. Most collectors find that the lower end guns are harder to move or make money on than high end guns.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 01:30:08 AM »
These are both original rifles, and appear to have shortened barrels. I'd suggest before we do any more guessing at the origins of these rifles, that you provide additional photos, taken directly over the guns, so their stock shape is not distorted by the angled shots. If possible, stand directly over the guns and shoot straight down on them. Good views, taken straight over them, of the front and back sides (from butt plate up to about 10" past lock plate area), will better assist us in identifying possible regions of manufacture, and approximate mfg. dates, which will probably end up being in the late 1840s to 1850s era.

Please check for any maker's marks or signatures on the top flats of the barrels several inches behind the rear sight.  If present, let us know what you can read, or decipher. I'd like to see a picture of the tang, on the rear end of barrel, or each rifle.

The name on the lock plate has nothing to do with who made the rifle or its location. These later guns used commercial locks usually imported from England in large quantities and later stamped with the name of the hardware store wholeselling or retailing them. These guns may well be from the midwest, but could be from a number of states, so we really need to take a closer look at them, if you can provide additinal photos. Hope this helps. Shelby Gallien

msmith

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 04:55:46 AM »
Howell Gano & Company was founded in 1844 in Cincinnati Ohio. 1856-72 A directory listings for the company under the headings of "Guns ,pistols & Fishing Tackle" "Sporting Goods, Hardware ,Cutlery ,and Gunsmith, 138 Walnut Street. A 1902 -03 Directory Still listed the Howell Gano & Co.Was not listed in 1904.

Indiana Gunmakers

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 03:21:48 PM »
I have seen a rifle with with very similar architecture to the half stock on the right. More photos as directed in a previous post might be helpful. The maker of the similar rifle was Eaton Barnes, Metamora, IN circa 1840's. Metamora is in Franklin Co, Southeast Indiana...only about 30 miles northwest of Cincinatti on the Whitewater River.

Good Hunting

Jeff

The other DWS

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 08:19:19 PM »
Metamora was a hub town on the old white water river canal, which if I remember correctly connected Cincinatti area and Indianapolis area..  I'll be down there next month, if I have time I can stop there and see if there is any local info on a gunmaker in the area.  I think there is a fairly active M/L club in that area.

I know this is an old post,  I'm a new member and I am systematically reviewing all of the old threads to learn more and get a feel for the site and members.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 12:20:37 AM »
The H Gano Co was a pretty well known 19th century Cincinnati firm if I recall correctly,  I can't remember if they specialized in firearms and parts, or just hardware in general.  I've seen other rifles with regional association with locks marked Gano.  There is still a "Gano Alley" tucked away in downtown Cincinnati. 

Metamora is just about 30 miles west on the old Whitewater canal.   There were a number of makers that moved down the Ohio to Cincinnati and then spread out to SE Indiana, which was settled just a little later - I believe the Greenville treaty line passed just to the east of Metamora and some of the natives (Tecumseh included) moved just west of the line into the Whitewater valley for a while before the War of 1812.  Anyway, one of the Christian Becks ended up working in Cincinnati for a while and then moved on to SE Indiana.

Guy

jwh1947

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 05:59:25 AM »
Tanselman, I like your approach to things.  I must reserve any comment until I see a lot more details. Pictures never tell the complete story, hence I prefer a lot of them, the crisper the better.  There have been items of the more generic nature, such as these, that I have held in my hands and for which I still had questions.  I am always willing to learn, but I suspend judgment on them due to insufficient information and knowldege.