Author Topic: Hello again to all,long time gone ,question on scriming and horn graving  (Read 2500 times)

Offline shootrj2003

• Starting Member
I 'be gone for awhile but have been working at this and that however I would like to improve my tools over exacto knives , pocket knives and sharp awls ,although I have been successful and pleased with my horns,there is room for improvement for me,I am thinking of going the metal graver rout,these seem like a good tool for our art,what you ? Good idea? I also found some large upholstery needles at Walmart ,four of them range from 6" to 12" at .$ 3.49 I think they could be successfully reworked into scrimshaw and graving tools with added handles,made in "Czech Republic with European quality"by Dritz of long time sewing fame,,I am also not adverse to using my checkering tools .anyway are metal graders worth buying and is the sharpening and angles the same? Source?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 03:48:14 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Marcruger

Some serious folks who scrim tell me they use snapped off X-acto knives among other pieces.  Who am I to argue?

That said, I have done some primitive scrimshaw.  I cannot scrim like Bob Hill, Ron Hess or Wild Willy (each with their own neat style).  I used a carbide tipped mechanic's scribe for steel.  It cuts deep if you go over several times.  Ron told me that real scrimshaw folks don't use those as they can see "chatter" marks in the lines and some chipped edges.  I tried the X-acto but couldn't control it, so I had to go with what I could operate.  Bob uses a knife, but he has many years of carving behind his fine control of a knife. 

I hope this helps.   God Bless,  Marc

Lzymtlsmth

For the exacto knife try this. Where the the cutting part of the Blade comes to a point grind a lift the last 1/8” or so then resharpen. Kinda like the bow of a boat. This will help with control somewhat.
I learned this tip from a H. House video.
Sketch follows.

Lzymtlsmth

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

;) ;)... I don't claim to be a horn-maker by any stretch of the imagination,... have made a few for friends and my own use,... have only scratched on a couple of 'em,... just "tribute" horns for ancestors,... I use an old sail-makers needle that I found in a box of tools from an old harness shop,... is triangular in cross-section and good steel that  sharpens well,... if it worked in the past for old-time sailors scratching on whale-teeth,...should be good enough,.... low-tech kinda tool,... !!! ... regards,... Cades Cove Fiddler,....

« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 03:19:48 PM by Tim Crosby »

Lzymtlsmth

Offline shootrj2003

• Starting Member

This is my favorite one,well that’s my opinion asked on looks ,my favorite one to use is my first one which is the one I hunt with