Author Topic: Ideas for the right bag/horn set  (Read 2137 times)

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Ideas for the right bag/horn set
« on: July 07, 2019, 12:08:59 AM »
I was fortunate enough to end up with this little rifle as my primary deer/predator control gun on the farm:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=41482.0

It’s hands down the most accurate, soft shooting, quick aiming .58 I’ve ever owned.

...and am looking for some expertise from some of our talented bag and horn makers, and general historical experts, as to what might be HC and also practical as a pairing for this rifle. I USE my guns, (no matter what I spend on one they are never safe queens) yea they hang on the wall occasionally, and I let my friends pet them, but they are most likely found on the gun rack of my 4wheeler, leaning against my truck, or across my horses pommel when I feed the animals in the morning and check up on them in the afternoon. I shoot Coyotes, bobcats, coons, armadillos, and the weekly steel silhouette. As such, though I have been known to spend $500 or more on a bag/horn combo it has always been a set distressed to show 10 years or so of hard but meticulously maintained use and used for its intended purpose. I can’t bear to sit, leaning up against a tree, with a perfectly new, beautifully made, mint condition hunting bag even though I regularly do so with my best custom guns. It’s one of my many ticks.

So there we have it, HC, style and class correct for the gun, well made, practical, and a non wall hanger. I carry balls and patches, and if I need more than that  I carry a small haversack for sandwiches so small is perfect. I’m no expert on English guns but I am an accoutrement snob so I beg you all for help.

Ideas?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 03:54:34 PM by Bhmack »

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: Ideas for the right bag/horn set
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 02:12:12 AM »
I think something like my Early Virginia shot pouch and horn would be historically correct.   However, it might be a little small and tight for most people.   I have a few balls, some patch material, and a couple flints in mine.    I wouldn't want to try to put more than that in it. 

Here is a link to my web page with several examples; http://www.markelliottva.com/wordpress/2018/12/early-va-shot-pouch-powder-horn-bag-10-horn-6/

This is my personal outfit.   I currently have the powder horn hung at the bottom of the pouch so that it doesn't get in the way of the flap.

chilehead

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 04:17:57 PM »
That's one beautiful piece, Bob. I've always had a weakness for 'form following function', and equipment that's 'all business'. When it comes to outfitting it, what's your vision? Are you thinking along the lines of 'an Englishmen of moderate means, living in England', or 'an Englishman living in America' or 'an American who ended up with an English-made gun'? Either of those could be a fun concept to play with.

Fred

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 04:45:58 PM »
Fred,
I usually look for what would have been used by the average original owner of the average gun of a particular style.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 05:40:08 PM »
All styles such as these are appropriate.  I find as many or more belt pouches in the period as shoulder bags.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 05:46:43 PM »
I’ve made several different types of bags and I like one with a 1”-1 1/2” gusset.   I like it to taper from that size to about 1/2” smaller around the sides. I’m 6’2” so my hand has a hard time fitting in bags without a gusset.   I also like to be able to look in the bag instead of feeling around for stuff.  It really boils down to room.  I like a small 6” to 7” bag but I like it roomy.  One other thing I like is a small patch knife on the strap.  It’s natural for me to grab it and put it back.  I want to add a sheath to the back of a bag for a utility/hunting knife on my next bag so that I’ll have everything I need for a deer hunting trip on my bag and strap.  Anyhow,  it’s been a learning experience for me and I think I have it narrowed down to what I personally like.  If you have the chance,  the CLA show will give you the opportunity to try every type of bag imaginable and make a decision.   I was going by what looks pleasing to me on my first 3 or 4 bags and now I’ve drifted towards function.   

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 12:55:07 AM »
Ok, so I bought the Sibley just posted on CLA. Im impulsive. Probably not entirely HC for an English park gun but, hey, I’m a Colonist who stole the Governors coachmans rifle. Now I need a bag to go with it. I’ll be building a PA Fowler of some description this winter so worst case the Sibley will go just fine with that gun and I’ll be looking again. I suppose I’ll go to CLA in August as advised, as it’s only a few hours away and pick up a bag there, if I don’t talk myself out of a beautiful James Rogers bag or find one posted on this thread.. James Rogers stuffed clamshell bags are out of this world.

Tim, I’ll be getting with you on another horn for the Fowler or the Brooks gun in the coming weeks. I will own another Crosby horn before fall. Guaranteed.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 01:44:23 AM by Bhmack »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 01:14:00 AM »
 Thanks, wondered if you got the Pix. TC

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 01:15:08 AM »
I think something like my Early Virginia shot pouch and horn would be historically correct.   However, it might be a little small and tight for most people.   I have a few balls, some patch material, and a couple flints in mine.    I wouldn't want to try to put more than that in it. 

Here is a link to my web page with several examples; http://www.markelliottva.com/wordpress/2018/12/early-va-shot-pouch-powder-horn-bag-10-horn-6/

This is my personal outfit.   I currently have the powder horn hung at the bottom of the pouch so that it doesn't get in the way of the flap.

I love your stuff Mark, but yea, I’m a big ole ham fisted knuckledragger too....

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 01:37:09 AM »
Thanks, wondered if you got the Pix. TC

I did. As a matter of fact, the middle horn in the Link is exactly what I’d love for you to make for me. The contrasting coloration and shape is exactly what I would like in my next horn. PM me and we’ll put that horn in your pipeline. I won’t need it until the fall but I’ll take it anytime.

https://ibb.co/8nwCVbG

Regards,
Bobby
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 01:47:26 AM by Bhmack »

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 02:55:29 AM »
There's good leather, bad leather, and exceptional leather.  James Rogers makes exceptional leather. 

Just the opinion of one who also makes leather products (hopefully in the "good" realm).

God Bless,   Marc 

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 05:11:35 AM »
A  James Rogers clamshell bag is as good as it gets in my opinion.