Author Topic: Tack Driver  (Read 4976 times)

fdf

Tack Driver
« on: July 04, 2009, 03:11:47 AM »

To me a tack driver would be capable of winning matches with regularity.  A minute of deer is not a tack driver in my vocabulary, but it will be for some.

Thanks

fdf

Oh $#@*- hit the wrong button- thought I was quoting and ended up modifying - Dang - i am very sorry, FDF. I've lost the first part of your post. Up too early - no coffee yet. Apology sent via fdf's private message.
Daryl
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 03:54:18 PM by Daryl »

Candle Snuffer

Re: Tack Driver
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 04:48:57 AM »
I'm not so sure I would pin a certain range on the word tack driver, as I personally feel a tack driver is the rifle "you" use to hit your mark at any given range the shot must be taken - more times then not.  

Then of course the rifle is only part of the solution of the term "tack driver" as the shooter must be capable of performing tack driving accuracy with his/her shooting ability.

I therefore feel there is no such thing as a rifle by it'self being a tack driver.  It can't do anything unless the shooter makes it perform to extreme accuracy, again through his/her abilities.

Just my two cents worth.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 04:51:01 AM by Candle Snuffer »

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 02:04:03 PM »
IMHO Candle Snuffer is right  on. Most modern barrels have  the ability to produce accuracy, but the bottom line is in the consistant load and firing procedure of the shooter.
Gene

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 02:49:27 PM »
I think a 'tack driver' rifle would be defined by its performance off a rest, rather than offhand, after somebody had methodically worked up a load to determine the best combination of powder, ball diameter, patching and lube.  That done, I'd be looking for a one-hole group   at 25 yds,  and groups that would fit inside a 10 ring at 50 & 100 yds (again, all from a rest).     

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 07:02:43 PM »
Have you all missed this?  A tack driver is a rifle or pistol that will drive tacks at the distance
you want to do this. Come on now!!
The Pistol Shooter

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 07:06:11 PM »
I think a 'tack driver' rifle would be defined by its performance off a rest, rather than offhand, after somebody had methodically worked up a load to determine the best combination of powder, ball diameter, patching and lube.  That done, I'd be looking for a one-hole group   at 25 yds,  and groups that would fit inside a 10 ring at 50 & 100 yds (again, all from a rest).     

I tend to agree.  Shooting skills vary between individuals and with the same individual depending on circumstances; good day, bad day, that sort of thing.  A good barrel, though, is a good barrel.  A good barrel will shoot well with at least some combination.  "Tack driver" is a very subjective concept.  It's a lot like true love; difficult to define but you know it when you see it.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 07:10:31 PM »
Have you all missed this?  A tack driver is a rifle or pistol that will drive tacks at the distance
you want to do this. Come on now!!

Get real!  I can't even SEE a tack at the distance I want to do this!  Okay, okay, really big tack at 25 yards, no, make that 15 yards, blaze orange head & no wind, in the shade.  ;D
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 04:03:12 PM »
We used to shoot tacks on a board at our Rondy, but now shoot shotshells that are held in a  piece of coroplast, case head towards the shooter.  The shell must disappear from the board at the shot, after calling out the number ie: A1 to about H10 - the letters A through about H run across the top and numbers 1 through 10 down the side. It's a fairly easy target, however some have difficulty with it. Depending on the rifle, you normally have to aim at the top  edge of the shell's head to hit it.

When we shot tacks, a small bore hit right on the spot would leave a hold no bigger than the tack's head giving the illusion the tack was still there.  I've seen more than 1 shooter, myself included, shooting at a hole.  When placed at 15 yards, it is not an easy target, similar to string cuts, ball splits on an axe to hit 2 clay birds, one on each side as well as card splits.

Paul Mathews mentions his friend and gun smith, shooting tacks with a breechloading buffalo rifle which was loaded from the muzzle using heavy charges of powder and paper patched bullets - at 100 yards.

Many people use the term "tack driver' merely to embellish the traits of a rifle they are attempting to sell, of course.  Tack-driver describing 'extreme' accuracy.

roundball

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 04:26:14 PM »
I always thought the term was oriented just to the firearm...of the several muzzleloaders I've owned over the years I've referred to only a few of them as being tack drivers, as their accuracy seemed unusually better than most of my others...a T/C .50cal x 1:66" and GM .40cal x 1:48, and .58cal x 1:70".
The accuracy of those three barrels stands out...seems as long as I just get the sights on the paper, the balls find their way into the center :o

Offline Dan

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 04:03:30 PM »

Pardon my irreverence.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 04:04:37 PM by Dan »

northmn

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 04:19:20 PM »
Read Zane Grey or Cooper.  Mark Twain commented on the writers claiming their hero would drive tacks at 100 yards.  Try to see one at that distance. Old term that goes way back.  We had a similar discussion that got a little carried away concerning precision vs accuracy.  Both have to be defined by range.  Precision is the guns ability to group, accuracy is the guns ability to place the group where you want it.  Accuracy is a combo of balance, trigger pull, sights and barrel capabilities.  As roundball and Candle Snuffer stated, some guns seem to have a quality for an individual that puts the ball where you want it.  An open sighted rifle is not likely to be able to take advantage of its precision. 

DP