Author Topic: Rifle Building Vise  (Read 6478 times)

Offline Robert B

• Starting Member
Rifle Building Vise
« on: August 17, 2019, 06:58:01 PM »
My first post and I'm jumping in with both feet.

I have used this vise, or variations of it, for three builds now and it works well for me.  I have used the conventional modified machinist vises with supports also, but prefer the rigidity of the two point clamping this vise provides.  I have used 6 inch trigger clamps that are modified with slide on swivel pads that I made on a mini mill.  Using four swivel pads is a bit of overkill.  The clamps are rated at 300 pounds clamping force and are one hand operation.  You can probably figure out the brand by the color.  The clamps work OK without swivel pads because the uprights holding the clamps swivel and slide to accommodate variations in the stock.  The clamps are adjustable up and down mainly to accommodate holding a barrel for draw filing and finishing.  Not counting the swivel pads there is less than $75.00 spent.  The T-track, which holds 3/8 bolts, and clamps being the bulk of the cost.  I routed coves into the base for part and tool resting places.  The whole vise clamps to my workbench.

I have measured drawings (1:1) if any one would be interested.  They were done in Visio which I can convert to many different file formats, which I cannot guarantee, though .pdf seems quite good and can print actual size on standard printer paper. I do not have drawings of the swivel pads available.

I am currently working on a test of HDPE (high density polyethylene) swivel pads.  Much faster/easier to machine and I suspect strong enough.  I'll see.  I've changed the pad design to beef up critical areas.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Offline deepcreekdale

Re: Rifle Building Vise
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 03:59:12 AM »
That is a neat set up, looks like it would work well. Do you find those clamps have enough strength to hold against pressure? I have never been confident that they will hold all the time. I use the gunstock carver vises available from Woodcraft and Amazon to secure the stock but use those type clamps you have to keep the fore end secure on bench jacks. I always like to see pictures of how others hold their projects under construction. Thanks for posting.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Robert B

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 05:22:39 PM »
I have not experienced any slipping and they have more than enough clamping pressure.  I have even oiled the bar to make them slide easier and still no slippage.  I'm using Model# DWHT83192 300 lbs clamping force.  They do make a similar 6 inch model of clamp with less clamping force which I have not used.  They also make models with 600 lbs clamping force that are much larger and probably not practical without cutting the bar to a reasonable length. There are other makers of good quality trigger clamps that I have used, in general woodworking, that work equally well.  I really like the one hand operation and the rigidity this system provides for inletting and carving.  One thing I have noticed with this stand is the ability to position my light easily in any area that I'm working.  As I age lighting and magnification become more important. Thanks for the reply.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 08:20:43 PM »
Very clever of a clamping system - nicely made. I think this would work for most medium to light duty rifle stock work but for building from a plank and roughing out the shape you need a more secure heavy bench vise and workbench. My 2 cents worth ;) ;D.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline The Stumbler

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 01:44:22 PM »
Robert B.....Excellent work, your attention to detail on this vise speaks to your abilities as a craftsman. I am keeping this vise in mind for a build at a later date (retirement). Thanks for posting.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 04:59:45 AM »
Neat vise set up.
Couldn't help but notice your carving drawn on the stock.  PLEASE don't carve a beaver tail on the front of the lock panels. Rear yes, front no!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Robert B

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 08:36:20 PM »
Per your suggestion.  I assume the front tail is not a traditional carving pattern.  I did like the symmetry though.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 05:15:46 AM »
Robert,
MUCH better.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Kerk

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2022, 04:26:26 PM »
Just came across this post. I would love to have measurements and drawings of this vise would be a blessing to work on gun if u still have them. Thanks