Author Topic: need your advice and assessment for a Jos H Golcher rifle  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Monty59

need your advice and assessment for a Jos H Golcher rifle
« on: September 20, 2019, 10:33:03 AM »
Hello, need your help a friend of mine would like to sell this Jos H Golcher rifle a bit too young for my collection. What would be worth and sorry I having no better pictures.
Maybe someone can tell me how old the rifle could be.

Monty

« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 03:11:00 PM by Monty59 »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: need your advice and assessment for a Jos H Golcher rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 02:18:51 PM »
It’s a Golcher lock but hundreds of makers used Golcher locks. So you have a very nice late percussion rifle, around 1850, maker unknown. Condition looks remarkable. Still, unsigned, unattributed so not appealing to a collector of, say, Ohio rifles. At that point it’s a wall hanger or a shooter more than an addition for a serious collector. Nice condition though. I’d guess $600 unless someone recognized it by its style.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Monty59

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 03:10:29 PM »
Thanks Rich, I will tell it the owner

Monty

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 11:10:30 PM »
The single brass trigger with small rear spur on guard, short forestock grip area, slight "fish belly" in butt's toe line, and somewhat "odd" late patchbox style all strongly suggest this is a New York rifle. Eastern rifles are a "hard sell" to Kentucky rifle collectors, less in demand, and gun should be marketed back in the East closer to where it was made. The most important detail, which may still exist on rifle despite what appears to be a shortened barrel, is the maker's mark, initials or name on the top barrel flat several inches behind the rear sight. The barrel should be checked, and any remnants of the maker's name posted here since we can probably figure it out for you. An identified gun will bring more money than an unsigned piece. Nice condition...but its Eastern origin will hold the price down for most collectors.  Shelby Gallien