Author Topic: Flintlock 10 Gauge SXS  (Read 2040 times)

Jay Oliver

Flintlock 10 Gauge SXS
« on: September 21, 2019, 06:01:56 PM »
I just picked this up from an auction this past week.  It's a 10 Gauge Flintlock sxs.  Made by George Tryon in Philadelphia.  I was guessing that it was made in the 1830s?

The auction house said that this had been reconverted from percussion back to flintlock.  I can't really see signs of that, but I am not an expert and I guess that is what information the consignor provided with the gun. The locks work and everything functions as it should.  There are a few cracks behind the tang and in the forearm section of the stock.  This thing is a beast.  40" twist barrels and it weighs 11 pounds.

I hadn't posted in a while and wanted to share.

Thanks,  Jay

Offline Feltwad

Re: Flintlock 10 Gauge SXS
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 06:58:11 PM »
I may be wrong but it looks English made to me  maybe a export of top quality
Feltwad

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 07:28:55 PM »
Original plates, all the flint stuff on it is from L&R.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 07:52:09 PM »
Imported barrels. It looks like Tryon hardware. Tryon was also a dealer and put there name several different items.  Look up E.K. Tryon and Co.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 08:05:06 PM by jdm »
JIM

Jay Oliver

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 08:17:33 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I'll do some more research on Tyron.  The top proof marks on the barrels do look British to me and although the stamps are well worn.  It did say in the auction description that the original lock plates were used for the conversion.  Everything seems well blended from a finish standpoint.  I am definitely still learning and appreciate the replies!

WESTbury

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 08:25:09 PM »
It is a very nice looking double, recon or not.

The barrels have post 1813 Birmingham proofs. See Joe Puleo article in Man at Arms Vol 33, No.6 2011 for references.

There is some weld visible under the pan and the bottom of the frizzen, where it meets the powder cavity in the pan looks unfinished. Also, the very clean area around the touchhole is telling.

WESTbury

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 05:39:45 PM »
Jay,

Check out LoT#3433A double by Beckwith in Poulin's October auction.

It is a close match to your nice looking double.

Offline Brent English

• Robust Wood Lathes
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 01:22:58 AM »
I think it is 100% British, probably made in Birmingham for the export trade and Tyron was the importer.  Tyron was not alone in this practice by any means.  And that doesn't take a thing away from the gun at all.  Agree with others on the conversion. Check the bores and breeching, it's almost goose season !   
Done right is better than done fast.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 04:15:33 PM »
I think it is 100% British, probably made in Birmingham for the export trade and Tyron was the importer.  Tyron was not alone in this practice by any means.  And that doesn't take a thing away from the gun at all.  Agree with others on the conversion. Check the bores and breeching, it's almost goose season !
Ditto, common practice.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 12:36:55 AM »
As Mike Brooks, Brent English and Feltwad have said, a Birmingham made gun for the export market - I'd guess in the 1820s but obviously after the War of 1816 although trade started up immediately when the war ended. An interesting point regarding the gun trade is that in the treaty that ended the war the United States was accorded the same status re: firearms imports as British colonies. This hadn't been the case prior to the war.

Oh...and the new proof marks went into effect on April 1, 1813.

Jay Oliver

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2019, 04:20:20 PM »
Thanks again for the replies.  The bores are very good(especially given the age of the gun).  I did shoot it last weekend and pattern it.  I was very impressed.  I started with 2 1/2 Drams of 2f and an 1oz of shot.  No problem there and the everything worked well.  I am thinking I might take this on a Tundra Swan hunt, if I get the permit from a lottery draw.  Last year I got to go and took a swan with an 1882 Parker 10 Gauge sxs with black powder loaded brass shells.  That gun had twist barrels and I used ITX BBs, which I should be able to use with this flintlock.

Once I felt confident in this flintlock, I went to 3 Drams and 1 1/4 of shot.  No issues at all and I didn't feel like I was putting too much stress on the gun.  I was shooting from 25 yards and both patterns were very nice.

In the next week or so I take it to my sporting clay place and see how it does.