Author Topic: Wire Inlay Tools  (Read 25245 times)

Offline John Archer

• I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
Wire Inlay Tools
« on: July 13, 2009, 02:10:20 AM »

These are very easy tools to make. Use 5/16" Xacto knife handles. Cut the handles off approx 2" from the front of the knurled portion. Drill 5/16" holes into the shanks of graver handles and epoxy the Xacto handles in approx 1'' deep. Shape the Xacto blades and grind them to width...these are 1/16", 3/32", and 1/8". Sharpen and strop and you're good to go. Very easy to hold and to change blades.

John.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:14:45 AM by rich pierce »
I cannot be left unsupervised.
(Sent from my immobile dial-operated telephone)

jmforge

Re: Wire Inlay Tools
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 11:01:13 AM »
Spot on!  I have a kit that Joe Keeslar made. He started off making ML'ers many years ago, he is strictly a bladesmith now.  He does the handle inlay like Bill Moran used to do.  The chisels have fancier handles, but the concept is identical.  Some folks in the custom knife world turn their nose up as the thought of using an Exacto. I tried making them from hacksaw blades and heat treating them, but the Exacto is easier and works better IMO.  Joe also made a "push stick" which is kinda handy to have.  What are you using for a hammer?

Offline John Archer

• I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 08:14:56 PM »
I use an engravering hammer and flexible steel ruler like David Price demonstrates on his website. I like the push stick idea...I'll have to make one of those.

John.
I cannot be left unsupervised.
(Sent from my immobile dial-operated telephone)

jmforge

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 12:45:18 AM »
I checked out Mr. Price's website.   Cool stuff!  I like the metal ruler trick. Most of the knife guys use fine silver wire because we all either learned from Bill Moran or someone that he taught.  I have seen a couple of guys mix in some copper wire, but nickel/German silver has become a bit of an orphan material in the custom knife world of late.  Most collectors just don't want the stuff and God forbid that you show up at the Blade Show with a knife with brass fittings!!! :o ;D  Copper and phosphor bronze are the "yellow" materials of choice these days.  If you get the chance, you should check out Bill Moran's old handles and guards video that the ABS sells.  He built all of his old inlay tools and had a really cool little chasing hammer that he forged out of tool steel.  I think that Joe Keeslar has built a couple like it, but I don't know if he sells them.

erdillonjr

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 09:09:08 PM »
Good idea. very informative. Ed

msw

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 06:14:36 PM »
nice looking tools!  i, too, tries hacksaw blades, but soon turned to x-acto blades because the hacksaw blades didn't work as well.

Offline B. Hey

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 02:16:55 AM »
Thanks for the info .. Simple and functional ... On my way to the shop to make some .. Take care .. Bill