Author Topic: Percussion Rifle Makers?  (Read 3851 times)

Smokey Plainsman

Percussion Rifle Makers?
« on: November 23, 2019, 12:33:08 AM »
Hello, friends. My Hawken rifle builder thread really got the wheels spinning. Alongside the Hawkens, the half-stocked percussion rifles I’ve often heard referred to as “Ohio style” rifles has always interested me. Guns such as these:

I’d love a lightweight slender halfstock percussion rifle such as this, in .40 caliber, for squirrels and so on. Do any makers make a good representation of the above? As before, lead time and cost are not factors.

Thanks in advance my friends and have a great Thanksgiving,

-Smokey
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 04:27:46 AM by Smokey Plainsman »

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Percussion Rifle Makers?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 05:35:25 AM »
There used to be several outlets for " Vincent " style rifle kits. A nice Vincent has a certain charm of its own.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 05:45:18 AM »
I’m looking for builders, as I don’t build myself. But that kit is ideal for what I’m looking for:

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/616/1/VINCENT-OHIO-PERC-PARTS-LIST

However I’d like a square bottom rifling Barrel in .40. I do not want radiused rifling.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 05:46:04 AM »
I’ll ask around locally.  I know a couple fellas who make a fine Vincent but just for themselves or family. 
Andover, Vermont

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 06:34:57 AM »
The term "Ohio style" rifles covers a lot of ground, but most folks typically think that the Vincent rifle style is the one and only style to have when it comes to Ohio rifles. Below is a small group of rifles that while not a Vincent, would be found in Ohio and surrounding areas and are "Ohio" style in their own right.

Offline snapper

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 04:20:58 PM »
Give some consideration to buying an original on auction.

You might find a jewel that will cost you much less then having one built.

Fleener

My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Hawken2012

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 04:30:05 PM »
You can buy a brand-new/never-fired one from Track of the Wolf.  Just listed last night.  Even uses the correct style drum. 

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/492/1/AAS-569

Offline Clear Spring Armory

• Clear Spring Armory FaceBook Page
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 05:46:02 PM »
Geakle, REALLY like the rifle with the half moon and comet, would like to see more of it.

I built this rifle a few years ago for a raffle. Sorry, this is the only picture of it I can get to pull up when I try to attach one to this thread. It was sold on here recently and there were several pictures though. It's a copy of a gun built near here (Medora, Indiana) by William Martin, probably mid to late 1800s. It is full stock and back action, as are all the guns of his I've handled or had described to me by the old folks, but I did see a halfstock sidelock he made in a book. Building it sparked an interest in late period guns for me, and I hope to build a few in the future. I think they are very under appreciated, both as a hunting gun and for thier artistic appeal.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 09:01:51 PM »
You can buy a brand-new/never-fired one from Track of the Wolf.  Just listed last night.  Even uses the correct style drum. 

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/492/1/AAS-569

Well, my wallet is now $1,699.00 lighter.

To say this would be my “ideal” rifle is an understatement. My length of pull, styling, caliber, weight, finish, wood, my god, everything.

Every detail and specification was perfect, and it was as new unfired. Generous 10 day inspection period and I have full confidence in Track if there’s something wrong or it just doesn’t fit me. From my research, seems like a fair price for a custom. Davis triggers, L&R lock, Douglas roundball barrel... I’m literally shaking from the adrenaline dump of buying a new rifle. I’ve been looking for a rifle of this style for years. Just got done selling my two other muzzleloaders so I had the money and this showed up. Looks like it will be a beauty and just PERFECT for my needs.

THANK YOU for posting this. I asked them to ship it after Thanksgiving. Can’t wait, you’ll all be seeing it soon with me!! :D

-Smokey

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 09:11:35 PM »
Glad you got it and are happy, Smokey. Well done!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2019, 09:11:57 PM »
Here are the pictures from the Track of the Wolf page guys:

I think it a most fetching piece.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 09:59:33 PM by Smokey Plainsman »

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 09:20:46 PM »
Glad you got it and are happy, Smokey. Well done!

Thank you!! :)

Guys, any critiques on the rifle posted? Here is the Track of the Wolf description:

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2019, 10:38:37 PM »
Very nice rifle and congratulations on your acquisition.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Hawken2012

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2019, 10:58:04 PM »
Smokey, you are welcome!  I'm glad you bought it!  You will like that rifle!  Mike Compton is out of Iowa and I met him one day when I was at Track.  He is an all-around great guy and he builds good solid guns.  I have handled several of his rifles over the years while at Track (I only live 20 miles away) and you won't be disappointed.  He builds several guns a year and sells them through Track on a regular basis. 

Track is very generous with their returns.  If you don't like it for any reason, just send it back within the 10 days and they will return your money.  You are only out shipping costs. 

Let us know what you think when you receive the rifle! 

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2019, 05:21:22 AM »
Congrats on a good deal and find. I like these Ohio guns too. Go see them in Marrietta Oh every year. Best regards, Dave F 8) 8)

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2019, 05:29:35 AM »
Lovely gun to my eye.  I am willing to bet that Douglas barrel will shoot beautifully and not cause you trouble as long as you take care of it.  Congratulations.   God Bless,   Marc

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2019, 09:43:15 PM »
That looks like a nice shooting rifle.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2019, 10:29:19 PM »
Congrats Smokey! I am certain you will be pleased!!!

Mike