Author Topic: Building Blind  (Read 11014 times)

Online mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
Re: Building Blind
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2020, 04:05:15 AM »
That looks better than my first five rifles, I think..  Hats off to you and your student.
When my wife and I were youth group sponsors at our church, we took a teenager work’ group to a camp for blind children. The fellow who started the camp was blind.    You’d never have guessed it.   He confidently traversed the whole place ( which was out in the middle of nowhere) without a problem.   He did things that you’d have thought impossible without a second thought.  (As I recall he was an avid turkey hunter.)  It was amazing. Those kids in that group learned something on  that trip.  Never underestimate a man with a mission.   
Mike Mullins

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2020, 11:38:20 PM »
Hi,
Josh was able to get over the mountains yesterday and we had a good long day of work on his rifle.  We went from this:

to this:

in one good hard working day.

I had Josh start off by planing facets on the fore stock as we pare it down evenly and shape it.

Then using my pattern maker's rasps, he filed facets where the plane could not reach.

Next up was thinning and shaping the forearm using pattern maker's rasps.

After that I had him start to shape the wrist after I trimmed off some excess wood with the band saw so were were right down to my outline on the wood. I taught him to do it the way I demonstrate at Dixons using pattern makers rasps.

Notice how Josh holds the upper end of the rasp with his finger extended.  As he moves down the stock, his finger is feeling the wood for the end of the area to be worked in that task.  When he no longer feels a rasped surface but the smooth wood, he knows to stop and go back the other way.

A happy gunsmith's apprentice

I do the drawing of all guidelines on the stock and usually start the task at a certain section, which then allows Josh to feel where the boundaries are for planing and filing for that task.  Then I just let him have at it until the task is done. Sometimes I even up his work but lately, that is not necessary.  He is figuring out how to do clean accurate work. 
Well, here is where we are at the end of the day.  I installed barrel keys for Josh and they came out really nice.

More wood comes off everywhere as we progress but it is starting to look like a rifle!

dave

« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 11:56:11 PM by smart dog »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2020, 02:24:19 AM »
That's a lot of whittling for one day. Looks good.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2020, 02:50:03 AM »
Amazing!
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2020, 06:00:37 PM »
Josh has something that I wish more young people have, and that is a strong work ethic.  He assesses the work to be done, and how to do it, then has at it.

Thanks for teaching him, and the rest of us, good stock making practices.  That will remain with him for the rest of his life, and he may be able to inspires others, also, thus carrying on the traditions.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline guido

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2020, 03:16:08 AM »
wow Dave amazing project and challenge.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2020, 04:26:09 PM »
Hi,
Finally back at it!  Josh and I felt it was safe to get going again in my shop.  His wife works in health care and is tested frequently and virus cases where Josh lives are very few with no new cases in over a month. Same where I am so we figured it was OK to get some work done on his rifle.  I installed his butt plate and inlet his trigger so we could test the fit and adjust things if needed.  So far it seems to fit him well.  Next up was inletting the ramrod pipes.  He had some cast ones so we used those to speed things up rather than make them from sheet. The photos shows a pipe on which I filed a notch in the tab. the notch or notches indicate to him which pipe he is handling and the direction toward the muzzle it should be inserted. I determined their locations on the stock.

Then I marked holes in the stock for the tab and he drilled them out. Next, he cleaned the slots with a little saw and thin flat file. Next, I cut the outlines and Josh cut the mortices with a gouge.  Note how he has to hold the gouge a little oddly so his pinky or ring finger feels forward of the tool so he can tell where to stop the cut.  I also gave him a lighter wooden mallet with a big rectangular head which helps him tap the chisel but also keeps the blows light.

He did a fine job.  When the depth was cut, I took over and using inletting black, checked the fit. The pipes came out very well.

Josh gets nervous when I put black on parts because when he asked me if I would tell him if he accidentally smeared black on his face, I told him "no" .  Then he asked if I really wanted him to go out in public with inletting black smeared on his face and I said "yup".  I have to be careful because he is a skilled martial artist.  Because the pipe portion of the rear pipe is identical to the other pipes, I had Josh inlet one of the other pipes at the position of the rear pipe. Then it was just a matter of me inletting the tang.  It worked pretty well. I did it that way because the job really requires inletting black most of the way through to remove pinch points.

Finally, I had Josh remove more wood from the fore stock.  To help him keep things even, I have him rasp flats using long strokes.  I position the stock in my vise so he can file a flat while holding his rasp horizontally.  He's learned how to do that and adjust for his body's tendency to tilt the rasp from horizontal.  So he places the rasp on the stock, holds it where he thinks it is level and then rocks it toward him a tiny bit, which achieves true horizontal orientation. We increase the number of flats and the stock eventually becomes evenly rounded.

Next time, we shape the butt and cut the cheek piece.

dave

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2020, 05:56:41 PM »
Dang Dave,
Josh does a neater job than I do, and I can see what I’m doing. Must have an incredible sense of feel, and spacial awareness.
Thanks for doing this, Sir!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2020, 06:11:17 PM »
Hi Dane,
Yes, he is doing well.  He goes slow and has taken to heart the idea that you can always remove more wood but it is harder to put it back (except of course with super glue   ;D).  So he shaves a little at a time and if he gets in trouble, the error is not very much and can be corrected. The problem for Josh with super glue is that he keeps gluing his fingers to inappropriate parts of his body.  Then I have to help him get unstuck.  I am not sure which of us is more embarrassed by that.

dave

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2020, 08:26:03 PM »
All the more reason to make sure he keeps his hands out of his pants I guess!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2020, 09:27:10 PM »
This is a great story thanks for sharing Dave, Josh sure looks like he is having a good time! You are creating memories that will have a long life and provide inspiration something you might want to put down in writing many will benefit.

Many years ago I was contacted by a paraplegic who wanted to train her border collie for stock work. She called me because she had call a few others who said they were not equipped to work with someone in a wheelchair on rough ground. When I talked with her she was determined so I arranged her to go to a friend of mines farm in Connecticu where the ground was relatively level.  She was not only in a wheelchair she could only use one arm and had limited ability to talk. Between my friend and I helping her we got her to be able to work her dog verbally close at hand in a round pen. She did that for a few months about every two weeks and made some progress with her dog but she could not whistle and had to use a blow horn to command her dog. A few weeks after I saw her she called me and said she was determined to run in a trial. I told her she was limited by her dog that she needed to find a trained dog to teach her. She knew that and asked me if I would help her to find one and I told her I would. I put the word out and a fellow I knew out in Idaho called me and said he might have a dog that would work for her. Ilsa  spent the winter in Florida and I put her in contact with that friend of mine in Idaho. Low and behold he flew to Florida and found a farm for her to work sheep at to try out her potential new dog. It was a match the dog loved Ilsa and she loved her and the dog worked well with Ilsa's limitations. Don, the guy from Idaho stayed down long enough to get the pair established and find a good trainer for her to work with. When the season started Ilsa called me and told me she entered her first trial and wanted me to be there to see her run and I told her I would be. Not only was I there but so was my friend from Connecticut and she did very well not winning her run but placing in the top ten. When she came off the field she was very emotional and came over to us and the only thing she could say to us was thank you. It was a big moment for her and quite an accomplishment. I was proud of her she overcame a lot but she had a goal and she met it. I was also proud of all the people in the sheepdog community that offered there time and help for her. I am sure it means a lot to Josh and I am impressed with his work and deterination and your willingness to help him.
Rob 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 09:32:16 PM by borderdogs »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2020, 05:52:11 PM »
Hi Folks,
Thanks for the comments and I passed the support on to Josh.  He appreciates the encouragement very much.  We got quite a bit more done.  Josh is able to get over here every Saturday or Sunday so we can make steady progress.  It is slow though because it takes him more time to get tasks done but that really doesn't matter.  I had him clean up the pipes with fine files and they are ready for final polish later.

He did a lot more shaping of the stock using a pattern maker's rasp and coarse file and we roughed out the cheek piece.

Next we made a trigger plate from steel and I had Josh file the trigger slot and clean up the edges of the plate.  Then I drilled the tang bolt and used the hole to position the trigger plate.  I had Josh inlet it.  He did the complete inlet by himself.  He did a good job but you can see a few gaps and one place near the tail where he cut outside the outline of the plate.  No problem, a wood chip and super glue to the rescue.

After inletting the trigger plate and positioning the trigger, I had Josh bring the forestock down to almost finished dimension.  I have him use a method of planing, rasping, and filing flat faces like the flats on an octagon barrel. He then increases the number of flats on each side until the cross section of the stock is round and even. It seems to work well for him.  After paring down the fore stock, it was time to make and install a muzzle cap. I shape the wood where the cap will go first and then use it as a form for bending the brass sheet to make the cap.  To begin, I marked where the rear edge of the cap will meet the wood with masking tape.  Then I had Josh use a very fine Japanese saw to shallowly cut along the edge of the tape.  These saws have no kerf and cut on the pull stroke creating very clean and precise cuts.  I rarely ever have to go back and clean up the edge of the wood for a perfect fit to the cap. After sawing the edge, I had Josh back cut the line with a chisel to create a trench he could feel.  Then he used a coarse file to take down wood from around the muzzle stopping at the back cut.  He used the method of little flats to create an evenly rounded surface.  Using a chisel, he cleaned up the back edge. 

I cut and annealed some sheet brass, which he bent around the muzzle using the shaped wood as a form.  We finished the bending process by attaching 2 hose clamps and tightening them down.  The result was perfect. 

After bending the sheet. I had Josh trace the inside profile of the cap on a thicker piece of brass that will form the front.  I cut and filed the front to that scribed profile and soldered it inside the front of the cap.  To speed things up a bit, I cut and filed the profile of the barrel muzzle into the front of the cap and Josh and I final fitted it to the stock. 

Finally, he pared more wood down on the fore stock so it was near flush with the muzzle cap and we cut the ramrod channel moldings.  I marked lines on the stock and using an old marking gauge, scribed a line in the wood.  I use a coarse checkering tool to deepen that line and then a dog leg chisel to relieve back ground wood along that line creating a raised shoulder. It takes about 20 minutes per side to do. Since Josh could now feel and use that shoulder as a guide or fence, I had him clean up the background with the dog leg chisel, bottoming file, and straight Japanese rasp with safed edges.  He did a good job.  There are a few spots I will clean up but it will look crisp and straight when we are finished.

Well that was it for a couple long days of work. We worked pretty late yesterday and when the sun was brewing up a nice sunset

we figured it was time to drive Josh back to where he meets his wife to go home in Rutland.

dave

Offline Daryl

« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2020, 07:19:49 PM »
Wow - well done, Dave.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2020, 06:55:05 AM »
Amazing stuff!   :)

Curtis

Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2020, 12:41:46 AM »
It truly is. Great job!!!  :)
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2020, 02:46:03 AM »
Hi,
We got more done last Saturday.  It was time to make and install a side plate.  I modeled one from a 1770s vintage Lancaster gun and used an old cast English plate as the raw material.  I cut out and filed the outline and then had Josh clean up the edges and file the bevel.  He did a great job with the task. 

I decided to let Josh outline the mortice for the side plate because the thick brass gave him a nice edge to feel.  So Josh screwed the plate in place and used a razor sharp knife with a pointed tip to trace the plate.

He did OK but he tended to put too much pressure on the knife such that it cut deep and caught wood grain that led the tip astray.  He did not grasp my direction to use a light touch because all he was doing was scribing the outline.  We deepened it by stabbing in after marking it. Anyway, the stock will have a few scratches around the plate after finish but they won't show very much.  I corrected and cut the outline and back cut to create an edge to the mortice that Josh could feel.  He removed the background. 

The inlet came out great.  There are a few tiny gaps but they will disappear when the wood is stained and finished. I want to emphasize how difficult this is.  When using a chisel, he has to have his hand on the tool but low enough near the blade so he can use his pinky to feel where it is going. Then he has to tap the chisel with his other hand. He tends to position the chisel at the right angle but when he gets ready to tap it, he unconsciously lowers the angle of the chisel so it skips over the wood.  He has to consciously raise the end of the tool before every tap.  Acer had an idea that Josh may do better if, rather than a mallet, he hits the chisel with a flat weight in his hand.  It may give him one less thing to think about.

The rest of the day was shaping the stock further.  Josh did well but as we get closer to the finished product it is clear that I have to do more of the work.  There are subtle details that he cannot perceive but we will try to push his capabilities as far as we can.  Here is where we are and you can see minor gaps in the inletting and some imprecision in shaping, but most of that will disappear in the final form and Josh has done a remarkable job.   

I communicate all your responses to Josh and he appreciates the support a great deal.  Thank you all for looking and commenting.

dave

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2020, 02:49:22 AM »
Go Josh!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2020, 03:47:20 PM »
Fantastic job - especially the in-letting. That in itself can be tricky and difficult to do. I think the more the final shape comes around, he will feel his way through the areas that are high, low and "rough". sort of like us using different light angles to see shapes that need adjustments, he feels them.

Wonderful work.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2020, 05:21:36 PM »
That is amazing.  And incredible.  And whatever else great you can think of.  I cannot scratch the surface of what he is doing.  Please pass along my compliments.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2020, 05:28:21 PM »
A great project and by the looks of his smile I would say he is a very happy builder. Very well done Sir.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline msellers

« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2020, 05:39:54 PM »
This is turning into a piece to cherish forever. Remarkable skill and persistence by both Josh and yourself to tackle this. Keep up the good work.
Mike

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2020, 07:03:32 PM »
I agree with these other builders, incredible job. You should both be very proud of your accomplishment.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2020, 07:24:04 PM »
Can you imagine the feeling when he shows this rifle to folks and says, "I built this" ?   

Offline msellers

« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2020, 07:33:11 PM »
Can you imagine the feeling when he shows this rifle to folks and says, "I built this" ?
I think his face may crack from smiling so big when he does.
Mike

Offline rick/pa

« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2020, 07:33:31 PM »
Josh has certainly done an outstanding job. Please convey my congratulations to him. And a thank you to you, Dave, for being a mentor to him. Both of you are to be commended in the building of this rifle which I'm sure Josh will cherish forever.