Author Topic: A Primer  (Read 1497 times)

Offline aaronc

A Primer
« on: December 25, 2019, 03:53:50 AM »
I've been scrimming a larger horn on and off for a while,...fit this little primer in the other day while I had my tools out. I seen this phrase pop up a time or two this year by other makers and liked it. Just wanted to put it on something. I also thought it fit the season. Horn is out of Bill Smiths shop,  I work with him quite a bit. You gents be safe in your travels if you go anywhere and have a great Christmas. -Aaron

« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 05:46:03 AM by aaronc »
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

RoaringBull

Re: A Primer
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2019, 05:37:21 AM »
Very cool! It looks good n that bag too.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 05:31:55 PM »
 Looks right, Nice job.

Tim

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 02:30:41 PM »
The bag looks better....no...wait...the horn looks better.  NO, no, it's the bag.  Definitely the bag.  Well. maybe the horn...

Offline DougS

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 01:24:46 AM »
Very nicely done.

I like this one a lot!

The saying is true.

Regards,

Doug

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 02:23:43 AM »
Nice little flat horn. Good lines and I like the engraving. 

The diamond shaped stitching pattern on the bah flap edging is really neat.  Can you share how you do that?

God bless, Marc

Offline trentOH

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 03:10:40 AM »
That horn looks great as white as it is. I'm wondering if it will still be that white as it is handled frequently and bounces around in a pouch with stray black powder granules as well as lead balls. If you don't want a patina to develop on it, is there a way to keep it white, or to clean it? Thanks.

Offline aaronc

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 04:26:08 AM »
Nice little flat horn. Good lines and I like the engraving. 

The diamond shaped stitching pattern on the bah flap edging is really neat.  Can you share how you do that?

God bless, Marc

Marc,
        I've only done a couple of bags under heavy tutelage. I love the end product but as far as the process goes I am much more of a horner/scrimshander kinda guy. This bag was made by Bill Smith for my daughter, all of his bags are cross stitched in this manor. As far as how he does it,..it would be easier for me to send you pics next time I'm up there via text if you like. Just PM me your cell number and I'll be in touch with you in a week or 2.

Thanks to all for the comments. -Aaron
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline aaronc

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 04:31:18 AM »
That horn looks great as white as it is. I'm wondering if it will still be that white as it is handled frequently and bounces around in a pouch with stray black powder granules as well as lead balls. If you don't want a patina to develop on it, is there a way to keep it white, or to clean it? Thanks.

Trent,...as far as how long will the color last,.....shouldn't be any significant change related to honest wear as far as I know. Patina is something most like in this field,....I have never though about cleaning one that had patina or if it was to develop any. Others mileage may vary. -Aaron
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 02:43:25 AM »
Great horn. Great message. Thanks for posting both.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Mick C

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2019, 10:52:15 PM »
Beautifully done!!  Thanks for sharing.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!