Author Topic: file source  (Read 2109 times)

Offline sa_handforged

• Starting Member
file source
« on: January 07, 2020, 04:57:16 AM »
Hello everyone.

American pattern flat file question:

I wanted to see if anyone had a good recommended re-seller source for Grobet USA American pattern flat files?
I used to regularly purchase these (Chip breaker, second cut & smooth) all from Lie Nielson; however it seems that they do not carry these any longer. My basic interweb search has not really turned up these simple models, and apparently Grobet does not sell direct to consumer.

For the last decade these three basic models have provided all my needs when hand crafting many a pointy things and a miryad of other stuff.

any insight is greatly appreciated.

sa_handforged

Offline Greg Pennell

Re: file source
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 07:38:05 AM »
Try eBay or Amazon.  I always check there first for tools, etc.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline coopersdad

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 05:24:30 PM »
I've gotten some Grobet files from American Rotary Tools in the past:

https://www.artcotools.com/grobet-files-rifflers/
Mike Westcott

Offline winemaker

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 05:45:39 AM »
I think gesswein sells most grobet files.

Offline Goo

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 06:09:46 AM »
Not trying to be a smart aleck here.  How about sending the old dull.ones to be sharpened?
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 07:00:34 AM »
Not trying to be a smart aleck here.  How about sending the old dull.ones to be sharpened?
where do you send them?

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 07:07:26 AM »
https://boggstool.com                 Haven't tried them yet but have heard good things.

Dave
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 03:49:13 PM by Tim Crosby »
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 07:35:49 PM »
I've purchased these from American Rotary Tool Company.  At least I think that's the name of the company.  I wasn't ver impressed with the Grobet USA, though.  Grobet, yes, but not the USA version for me.

Thanks,
Jim

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 07:38:17 PM »
Also, my take on sharpening...  To me they don't cut the same.  Sure they feel sharp, bit and will cut better than when dull, but they also tend to chatter more and not cut as well as a new file.  At least this is my experience.  For specialty shapes, this might make sense, but for more ordinary, relatively inexpensive file, I'm not sure it does.

Jim

Offline wmrike

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 11:27:30 PM »
I have used Boggs and was pleased with the price and turnaround.  They were up front about some files not being salvageable.  The ones that have come back have been sharp and cut well, but I am not certain that their useful life is equal to that of a new file.  Still, for the price, I will probably re-up before I go searching for a new file.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 01:49:33 AM »
Rio Grande sells a 6" long flat file with Swiss cut. Yeah, I too question if that actually means "Swiss made" but Rio Grande have some very good stuff.

https://www.riogrande.com/product/glardon-vallorbe-precision-flat-hand-file-swiss-cut-4/114926?gclid=Cj0KCQiA2NXTBRDoARIsAJRIvLwDPIe_Wjj29sYWh3YDyHxu8lAREtosvSnFR2JiIelsmec0blLNaxcaAsJgEALw_wcB 

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 03:27:27 AM »
I have some Glardon-Vallorbe needle files I've been using over 30 yrs. made in Switzerland. They cut as good now as the first time I used them.

Offline aaronc

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 10:03:32 PM »
I've purchased some files recently for horn work. Otto frei sells 2 brands of the swiss made...I've had good service there and also corradi of Italy makes some good files. I have some wood rasp from corradi that are probably going to be my go to rasps for my various projects. They are Nice!  Both of these sites have live chat that is easy use for any questions. Here is the links,...On the Otto Frei site the larger files start on about page 3. - Aaron

https://www.ottofrei.com/jewelry-tools-equipment/bench-tools/files#

https://www.corradishop.com/

- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline flintlock hunter

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2020, 08:01:45 PM »
Could anyone tell me if a Nicholson aluminium type A file is any good for anything else, like brass or wood? The reason I ask is that I just picked up some older USA made files from a school auction. I  ???Don't do anything with aluminium. Thanks
Barry