Author Topic: gun stock carving , holding for  (Read 4046 times)

Offline sa_handforged

• Starting Member
gun stock carving , holding for
« on: January 21, 2020, 04:13:00 AM »
anyone have any insight on historically accurate gun stock holding fixtures/vises that would hold the gun/stock for carving and working on. Just wanted explore and gather some ideas outside of the basic wooden bench type vise with padded jaws.

Thank you

Offline Dave B

Re: gun stock carving , holding for
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 09:48:06 AM »
This illustration is from the 1718 book Espengara Perfeyta "The Perfect Gun" Shows a work shop and tools of the gunmakers trade. You can see that the vices attached to the work bench are verymuch like our Blacksmith leg vice many of us use today. I cant find the other picture that I am sure is in the book that shows an aprentice being questioned by a master surounded by the work benches with tools and post vices mounted to them. I will post it when I can find it.

The vice I have has play in the jaw that will accomodate a slight taper to the item I am clamping in it. I have lead jaw pads I use in my vices that prevents damage to my projects.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 05:54:16 PM »
Here's what I use, combined with 2 adjustable supports for the other end.

In His grip,

Dane

Buckskinner

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 10:46:11 PM »
Patternmakers Vise as above.  A necessity to the gun builder in my opinion... 

Offline sa_handforged

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 01:06:00 AM »
Thank you !
Good info.

The pattern makers type of vise....where is a good place to source one of these big boys?

Offline Jason C

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 01:09:34 AM »
Thank you !
Good info.

The pattern makers type of vise....where is a good place to source one of these big boys?
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-patternmakers-or-gunstock-carving-vise
They go on sale from time to time so keep a watch on them.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 01:09:53 AM »
Also look at the guitar makers vice. It’s similar, maybe better screws, etc, but red.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 02:30:22 AM »

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Online aaronc

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 05:38:56 AM »

Kevin

Kevin,...like the looks of your shop. I think you posted it before in another thread. There were several shop pics posted in a particular thread not to long ago,.....but it may have been in "over the back fence" and fell off,.....I couldn't find it. I wish they would make a sticky for everyone's shop and work space. It would be a great resource to have.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 05:56:54 AM »
I have one of the pattern makers vise as well.  It's a great vise as well, but much more difficult to manipulate. I don't use mine for stocking, rather filing brass, and other jobs that require smaller, more solid jaws.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 06:19:59 AM »

« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 06:30:43 AM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 06:35:26 AM »

Kevin,...like the looks of your shop. I think you posted it before in another thread. There were several shop pics posted in a particular thread not to long ago,.....but it may have been in "over the back fence" and fell off,.....I couldn't find it. I wish they would make a sticky for everyone's shop and work space. It would be a great resource to have.

[/quote]

Thanks, yes; I had posted pictures of my shop before, the walk around bench in particular. This is my sanctuary. Today it's in the teens outside and I have a fire in the stove so the shop is cozy, I spent six uninterrupted hours, worked on three different guns, swept and put tools away and listened to my music and just sat there for awhile.
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline SouthernStyle

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 07:28:22 AM »
I have a book that shows a 1810 gun shop that was excavated and restored. It shows a old style vice that mounts on a floor level post top that is set in the dirt floor. It is the type that has long jaw arms that go from the floor up to the bench. It mounts to the front of the bench not on it. So the jaw arms are v shaped from the floor up to the bench. It has the usual hand screw handle to clamp. The jaws don't have much curve in them they are pretty flat. The jaws are lined with full thickness cowhide leather like saddle leather they are doubled on the jaws and wrapped around the back side of the jaws and fastened with copper or iron rivets. My dads farm work shop actually has an old vise that is very similar to the picture but it does not go clear to the floor.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 08:14:29 AM »
For carving, I actually hold the stock in my lap!
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline rickw

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2020, 06:34:36 AM »
Also look at the guitar makers vice. It’s similar, maybe better screws, etc, but red.

The patternmaker's vise sold by Woodcraft and the guitar maker's vise sold by Stewart-MacDonald are probably the same vise.They are probably made in the same factory, only with a different paint color. The one from Sterwart-MacDonald is more expensive.
I have one of the patternmaker's vises that I got from Woodworker's Supply, when it was on sale. Actually, I've had two of them.The back jaw on the first one broke under moderate pressure. I sent it back, and they replaced the whole vise. The second vise seems OK.
The vises shown in the Spanish engraving in the original post are sometimes known as "wagon vises". Several of the currently available books on building work benches show examples and have  plans for making them.There is also a lot of information about them on some of the woodworking forums.Hardware is also available for them from several sources.
Rick W

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2020, 03:21:46 PM »
Different, color, screws, different spinner, but yea, made in the same factory and more expensive.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2020, 07:19:44 PM »
Different, color, screws, different spinner, but yea, made in the same factory and more expensive.

There is one more difference that I noticed when I was at your place.  One has peg the other has as wheel (oh, on second reading, you named that "spinners").  Only later did I notice that red paint was so much more expensive.  It's usually green paint that makes things cost extra more.  ;)

I didn't look back at this thread for a while because "traditional" meant I didn't have any much to offer.  But I see we're into practical more than historical.

I just got my patternmaker's vise last year about this time (on sale of course) AND love it.  Will get another eventually. 

I have a traditional woodworking bench with a WW vise on the left end.  I mounted the PM vise on the right end. I use a notched riser board in the WW vise to hold the far end and the PM vise to hold where I'm working. Sometimes it's a little taller than ideal.  I think the best shop would have standing and seated working positions with similar holding fixtures.  More fixtures equals more options.

Hold to the Wind

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2020, 01:11:39 AM »
I have used a checkering cradle, such as Jerry Huddleston illustrated above, is really ideal for a lot of either checkering (!) or carving.  And a bench such as he is sitting at!  You can align the cradle itself at any angle you wish, and turn the stock about it's axis however it is needed.
For checkering across the wrist or fore-end, it is hard to beat.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

jamned

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2020, 01:15:53 AM »
Thought I would show this vise as built by Wm. Buchele. Has a series of springs in the base that allow you to sit or stand to work. Wilton power ram to hold the work in position. Built in 1964 (dated & signed by Buchele). It will stay in any position or height.  I have used it for a couple tasks & it really works well, Jim.