Author Topic: mixed metals for furniture  (Read 2140 times)

Offline curly

• In GOD we trust
mixed metals for furniture
« on: January 21, 2020, 11:07:24 PM »
I'm building a new rifle and would like to mix my metals. The finial and Patch box side plates would be G/S and the lid would be brass. The side plate is brass, and the trigger gard, butt plate. thimbles, nose cap, and barrel pin excutions are G/S. Thoughts and ideas please.  Thanks Curly. 

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: mixed metals for furniture
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 11:16:16 PM »
A man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do. Hobby builders build to please ourselves.

I work in a different era, 1750-1820, so German silver would not work for me as something common then.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 11:26:03 PM »
Find original examples of what your thinking and express it how you like. I like 1800-1840 Southern guns and there are examples of silver pipes, brass PB’s exc, along with iron. Study the architecture of those guns and either emulate or play the gunmaker that never was within those regional characteristics. Make it plausible or make a fantasy rifle. Your choice.

Offline kudu

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 11:43:24 PM »
If its yours and your not building to sell or take to a show for critique. and you can take criticism, then its ok I think? 

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 01:00:53 AM »
Tell us where you want your gun to "fit in" with history both geographically and chronologically and we can comment better as to what was mostly likely and what metals are used by extant examples from that time/geo period.  Or tell us what architecture and other parts you're planning on using, originals may exist just like it.  Some parts "mix and match" well enough.  Others "blends" will make your work stick out and be instantly recognized as "out of character" - no matter how exquisitely executed and finished it might be. 

If you don't care about a "plausible" gun, then do as you wish. Plenty go that route, but it's really not much more difficult to learn how one might build a gun that looks as if it could have been an original. 

I wasn't so torn up about accuracy of representation when I got started, but learned very quickly that I needed to focus my interests if I was going to actually learn much useful information beyond how to make a bang stick and go boomin' around the woods with it. I now know much more about why/who/where the styles I like most are from. 

Enjoy whichever you do, you certainly are at the right place to make such inquiry.  Kudos for that.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 01:34:27 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline redheart

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 01:58:00 AM »

Well said Wade, I think you're starting to attain Guru status. ;)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 02:02:31 AM »
Hi Curly,
Mixing metals is a great idea and there are American long rifles like that but even more frequently European guns. Here is one I made after 17th century French work with copper, brass, bone, and mother of pearl.

Here is a long rifle I made mixing brass, silver, and steel:

upload images

Here is a New England rifle by Mitch Yates that I embellished for the owner with historically correct mix of silver and brass:

avocado eye mask

Mixing metals is fine and was done in the past.  You asked for thoughts about your plan. Let me be honest but remember, this is just my opinion and taste.  I am no fan of German Silver. It stays bright but takes on a yellowish tint (the copper in it) over time. It never acquires a nice patina like brass and silver.  I made one gun with GS hardware back when I was inexperienced. I thought all the bright silvery color would look awesome. It didn't.  I had trouble finding GS sheet thick enough for the patch box so it dimpled easily and was depressed at every screw hole, despite very good inletting.  That gets hidden in brass by the patina over time, not so GS. It shows those ugly dimples forever. Personally, I do not like large metal inlays that are not engraved.  To me, GS looks the worst without engraving.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 02:20:30 AM »
It really depends on the style of rifle. I just did a restoration on a Wiley Higgins Rifle. Mr. Higgins used Brass and Silver on the rifle. Now Mr. Higgins is not your typical builder and his building talents are very evident, and his work shows that he thought outside the box. If your design calls for something outside the box then by all means, it is your rifle, jump on it. I am sure Mr. Higgins had his doubters too!

Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline kudu

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 05:17:15 PM »
never seen anything quite like that Higgins Rifle ,  one of a kind for sure!
 The silver around the lock is really something.
the large rectangular inlays for the barrel pins/wedges .
Its almost like he did see other guns and knew the points of wear and tear wanted to armor plate them.
Almost like a faux wrist repair/wrap  some do on brand new guns

Maybe Mr Higgins didn't look at his fellow gunmakers either.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 06:18:14 PM »
Silver and iron on a TN original:

see Alfred Gross in the "museum" here.
Hold to the Wind

Offline redheart

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 07:19:00 PM »
I'd wager that Wade's hunting rifles are based on that Higgins rifle. ;)

Offline louieparker

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 07:41:09 PM »
Bama that is one cool rifle.. Higgins  danced to his own drum and did outstanding work. I have admired his work since I first a photo of his Southern Bell  rifle. That may have been in the seventies, can't remember for sure. Thanks for posting the photos...  Louie

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 10:16:35 PM »

for all the HC guys [so what?]
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline guido

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 11:28:44 PM »

Just started composite smoothbore with forged but plate brass finial. The gun will have other brass and steel. Fun to think a little different.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2020, 11:53:32 PM »
Thanks Louie, WE and Matt are the proud owners of that Higgins. I just got to play with it a little.

Jerry, that is quite the piece of art that you have pictured there. I am coming out to Vegas for the engraver guild show at the end of February, are you going to be there? If so I sure would like to meet you.

Jim
Jim Parker

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2020, 03:07:53 AM »
Bama I won't be at the engravers guild show in Vegas. A very good friend of mine and a student will his name is Steve Fiddler. He will be going for his masters. Look for him his work is a treasure to behold. I do not have anything to exhibit and my health is not so good. I hope to be there next year if I'm still alive.

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2020, 06:57:53 PM »
 It’s such a pleasure to see another Wiley Higgins rifle. His work was so out of the ordinary, and his metal work is so unusual, that I can’t stop looking at all the little details that set his work apart from other gunsmiths. Thank you.

Hungry Horse

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2020, 07:41:48 PM »
Wiley Higgins was definitely a master craftsman. Wayne Elliott had a Wiley Higgins display at the KRA convention a couple of years ago and I was in total awe. Wiley had such an eye of design that was out of the ordinary but worked so well together that I feel he is in a class all by himself. What a great southern gunsmith and an example for all of us that are striving to obtain the status of gunsmith.   
Jim Parker

Offline DBoone

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2020, 07:28:06 PM »
There are some incredible builders here on ALR.  Many, if not most, specialize in building in the styles and schools of 18th and some 19th century original and very well known gunsmiths.  I consider to do a good/great job of emulating original work a talent almost beyond belief.  Like I said, there are builders of that quality right here on ALR.  These builders are a wonderful resource to learn from.

Me?  I have no such talent or desire.  My many years of doing restoration work on many Southern guns for a KRA collector in Charlotte, NC, inspired me to develop my own style, which came mainly from the influence of the restoration guns.  I am not good enough to copy the work of anyone, so I stay with what I do and pretty much nothing else.

With all this said I, personally, like mixed metals on a gun.  I will occasionally do this on my guns, although not as much as I probably should.  It speaks "utilitarianism" to me....using what you have, which was a way of life on the frontier..... or maybe mixed metals could be considered an attempt to "not copy", if you will, the work of others.  "Farmer guns" and "blacksmith guns" are 2 schools of gun making rarely acknowledged.  Not the high art type for sure but still charming and very real in their own way.

Composite guns have always been interesting to me.....guns fabricated from several damaged guns that were salvaged for parts.  I plan to do more of these in the future.  These are a perfect opportunity for mixed metals and the creation of a "one of a kind" gun..

To me a good gun is all about the lines, the balance and the comfort to hold and shoot.
Plain or fancy matters not to me.  I'm a Southern style maker building my own style.  Somebody once said, "in the South we can get away with just about anything".  There is probably some truth to that but good judgement is always a plus.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 07:41:41 PM by DBoone »

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2020, 06:45:44 AM »
Melchior Fortney was not historically correct when he built guns.