Author Topic: Current build progress  (Read 1226 times)

Offline pjmcdonald

Current build progress
« on: January 23, 2020, 06:47:18 AM »
Gents,
Some progress photos on my current build. I’m looking for course corrections so please feel free to critique. I started this at Jim’s last class. I was using a couple Bear Creek, NC, rifles for inspiration. Specially 11 (Alexander Kennedy) and 17 (Bryant Martindale) from Ivey’s book. I got off track and don’t think I can bring it closer, though it seems to be shaping up well.

I already figured out the comb is a little too high. Not sure how much I can bring it down. Tang isn’t exactly right but i like it, though it begs for a second screw. Still have side plate, toe plate (though I personally don’t like them), and patch box to make and inlet. That big walnut butt definitely demands a patch box.

Anyway, photos:

By the way, I think I’ll name this rifle “patches.” Or “scab.” I’ve chipped out several pieces and had to glue in patches.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline pjmcdonald

Re: Current build progress
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 06:48:51 AM »
Forgot to add, Mike Brooks castings for butt plate and trigger guard. Nice soft brass with plenty to work with. Good stuff! Thanks Mr Brooks!

Paul

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 08:22:07 PM »
Thanks for posting pictures of your rifle build.  I think it's going to be very nice when finished.
I am unfamiliar with the originals of which you speak, so can't comment on architecture too much, but it seems to me that you could cut away 1/3 of the comb at the wrist and gently arc that comb line to mate square with the butt plate return.  Also, the cheek pice is very long.  If it were mine, I'd bring the forward end back about 7/8" and the back end forward about 3/4".  Again, I'll say I may be all wet when it comes to that architecture on NC rifles, so take what I have said with a grain of salt.
In the photo of the bottom of the stock looking toward the muzzle, it appears that the back ends of the lock and counterside panels are not adjacent each other.  When you look straight down on the stock, those two ends should be directly across from each other.  In addition, the ridge formed where the upper and lower edges of the lock panel converge appears to be considerably above the wrist's centre line.  I would take wood from the top so that that ridge line drops to the middle of the wrist, or slightly below it.  Doing that might better line up the panel and counterside ends too.
Pls. keep us in the loop and post more pics as you go along...looking good so far.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 09:12:15 PM »
Looking Great Paul. Are you going to have it ready to shoot in October?
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 11:36:06 PM »
   I agree with Taylor. Atleast on that cheek piece and it maybe a little to tall.   Al
Alan K. Merrill

Offline pjmcdonald

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 03:14:36 AM »
Taylor, thanks for the advice. I see what you are talking about. Lockside panel l will ease down a bit at the tail, center or below. Bad photography - lock side and off side align pretty closely. I’m going to take a shot at dropping the comb. Cheek piece I’ll shorten and lower a little.

It is hard to judge the originals from the photos. Cheek rests are long ish on those.

Jim, yes, that’s my goal!

Thanks gents,

Paul