Author Topic: Help!!!!Trying to remove an old breechplug.  (Read 2186 times)

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Help!!!!Trying to remove an old breechplug.
« on: January 24, 2020, 07:21:47 PM »
I've bougth an old original percussion pistol barrel. I want to remove the old plug and make a New one With a left handed snail. I've soaked the barrel for one week in diesel. It's still stuck. Can't budge it. Any suggestions?

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Metalshaper

Re: Help!!!!Trying to remove an old breechplug.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 07:36:59 PM »
you could try to warm the last couple centimeters of barrel and the breech area and then just stick the Hooked area down in a container of cold tap water.
maybe the sudden cooling would cause enough of a differential? to break the seal/crud?

I'm not talking crazy heat.. just so its uncomfortable to the touch and the plunge would be only as deep as about the nipple on the breech..
might take a couple of tries to work ( if it does? )  I've also broken rusted parts loose by using the oil and a little heat, then tapping the parts with a non marring hammer.
cool it, try to break it and repeat.

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline QuanLoi

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 07:45:35 PM »
I had the same problem a couple of years ago, tried everything and nothing worked. It was suggested I send the barrel to Cabin Creek Muzleloading.  I did, they removed the breech plug and installed a new touch hole liner at a very reasonable cost.  If nothing else works, give them a shot...

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 07:53:43 PM »
In our group of builders that gather weekly here, we hit the barrel with an acetylene torch then turn it out hot. If it resists, dunk it in cold water while hot. I’ll take that breechplug!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 08:15:23 PM »
Make a wrench that fits the breech properly.  That means metal, possibly aluminum with 100% contact.  Possibly maple blocks carved and lined with epoxy steel.  Apply rosin to the blocks.   Secure  the blocks in a real action  wrench.  Hold the barrel in V-blocks in a real barrel vice. 

IT is a shame someone already buggered it.   A machinist  vice and a cresent wrench  can make a mess real fast. 

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 08:18:39 PM »
Make a wrench that fits the breech properly.  That means metal, possibly aluminum with 100% contact.  Possibly maple blocks carved and lined with epoxy steel.  Your main leverage point will be the underside of the snail.   Apply rosin to the blocks.   Secure  the blocks in a real action  wrench.  Hold the barrel in V-blocks in a real barrel vice. 

IT is a shame someone already buggered it.   A machinist  vice and a cresent wrench  can make a mess real fast.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 08:23:12 PM »
A much better solvent than diesel fuel, is Automatic Transmission Fluid/acetone mix - or liquid wrench.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 12:00:32 AM »
Just heat it up it will come out.  What is holding it is fear of heating.  Never have seen one I couldn't get out.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 12:18:33 AM »
Just heat it up it will come out.  What is holding it is fear of heating.  Never have seen one I couldn't get out.

I had this problem 2 or 3 years ago and asked the forum for a solution.  Jerry told me the same thing.  I heated it to cherry red, allowed it to cool on its own and the plug came right out with ease.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 12:41:41 AM »
   Grind the hook off. Use drill press to drill a hole just under sized of bore then use a hack saw and cut a slot across the end of breech. Put breech in a vise squeeze slot together.  Plug will come right out.    Al
Alan K. Merrill

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2020, 03:22:03 AM »
I have removed many  breach plugs from many antiques by heating them as Jerry said.  One thing that is worth saying, be sure to check if they are loaded before you put the heat to them.  I have found many antiques loaded and the owners did not know it.  Kind of scary when you think of it.

David Price

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2020, 06:44:16 AM »
Yes, heat. Hot enough to make spit sizzle will often do the trick.
If not, lay it on an anvil and a piece of flat steel on top and belt it once or twice to jar it loose.  They always come loose, but some take more heats than others.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2020, 01:41:35 AM »
I never understood the resistance to using wrenches that actually fit and a real barrel vice.  Cooking the barrel will ruin the patina and case hardening if present on the plug. It is not big deal to make a properly fitting wrench.  Since I work with both modern and ML guns, I never give it a second thought.  Lots of destructive ideas being recommended here.  IF the gun has any value I'd recommend more thinking and less brute force. 

I re-read the OP.  To back peddle a bit.   I guess it you are going to throw the plug away, do whatever you want.  An excellent way to loosen scrap barrels on 1917 Rifles is to turn the shoulder off the barrel in a lathe.  Turning the shoulder off the plug with a parting tool will make it unscrew with no resistance.  Cut up close to the joint between the barrel and plug.  No shoulder, no tension, depending on how rusted the threads are.   
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 04:28:42 AM by Scota4570 »

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2020, 10:26:28 PM »
Thank you for all Your suggestions. I heated the barrel With an oxy-acetylen torch to dull red and let cool for a few hours and it was suprisinigly easy screw out!!.
Rich, if you want the breech plug, I'll mail to you when I'm finished With it. Going to use it as a pattern for a New left handed plug. I think it's a patent breech. The touchhole is at an angle at the bottom of the plug. I've stuck a match n the hole to show the angle.

Best regards
Rolf

« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 08:45:07 AM by Rolf »