Author Topic: Long rifle  (Read 1572 times)

jhamner

Long rifle
« on: January 28, 2020, 04:46:34 AM »
I recently purchased this old Kentucky style long gun.  I usually don't buy firearms in such poor condition. but the markings on the barrel intrigued me.  (see photo)  In very crudely stamped letters is the word " Rockingham".  I also thought I saw a Va. just before the Rockingham and  re??............maybe Va. regiment???  I'm probably dreaming up the meaning of the stampings, but if it IS indeed Rockingham, Va.  it's only about 40 miles from where we live!
If anyone knows anything about this old gun, PLEASE let me know--I would love to hear from you!
P.S. I would also love to know an approximate value if that is allowed to be discussed on this forum.  Thanks!

WESTbury

Re: Long rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 05:16:04 AM »
It would be very helpful if you posted some photos.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 08:16:05 PM »
Rockingham Va would be where the gun, or at least the barrel was originally made. Look for a makers name on either side of the Rockingham. Or if the Rockingham isn't on the top flat, look for a name stamped or engraved between the rear sight and the breech of the barrel. 
When you get the pics posted, be sure to include ones of the gun as well.
John Robbins

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 10:24:04 PM »
I think JTR is correct in his assessment.  Post a photo to study.  And welcome to ALR.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 11:14:44 PM »
Is this the rifle that was at the Horse Soldier?   If so, you talked to me when you were looking at it.  It was an interesting rifle. 
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.