Author Topic: Here's a set of triggers to recreate  (Read 1934 times)

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Here's a set of triggers to recreate
« on: February 03, 2020, 06:36:12 AM »
Here's a close-up of the triggers on the Franklin County rifle I posted in the Antique section a few weeks ago.  https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=57678.0

And here are the triggers on the John Clinkenbeard (attributed) rifle pictured on the KRF CD Volume XVII.

Pretty similar, huh?  Here's some shots of the triggers out of the gun and disassembled.

So.... who's going to make a set?

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Re: Here's a set of triggers to recreate
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 06:54:09 AM »
Mechanically, they're dang close to the Davis triggers.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 04:26:30 PM »
Mechanically, they're dang close to the Davis triggers.
Mechanically they are similar to mine but in reverse.My front trigger control
spring is  different.This could be an easy job with a milling machine.By hand it's too
labor intensive IMHO.
Bob Roller

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 09:39:04 PM »
The pictures don't show it very well, but the "ears" on the plate appear to be brazed on.  That would cut back a little on the labor.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 02:34:28 AM »
The owner of this rifle asked me to replace all the missing parts of the rifle that I could, ramrod, various screws and pins, etc.  The last piece was the adjustment screw for the set triggers, missing in the photo below

Below are very similar triggers on another Ky made rifle, the John Clinkenbeard (attributed) rifle pictured on the KRF CD Volume XVII.

This screw was a challenge as it is a 5x48, but I found a die on ebay.  My buddy Clockman turned down a steel rod to the right size for threading on his good lathe.  And I shaped the head of the screw with files in my old worn out lathe.  I think it looks ok.

-Ron
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 02:37:59 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 03:45:27 AM »
Looks just like it grew there, Ron.  Good job!  I really like that rifle, and meant to ask if would be possible to get a tracing of it, while you have it in your shop?

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2020, 08:19:57 AM »
Hi Greg,

I can probably arrange that.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 03:51:33 PM »
Thanks Ron, that would be great...I would gladly reimburse you for time and materials, with a few adult beverages next time I’m in the Lex...

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 06:12:35 PM »
The owner of this rifle asked me to replace all the missing parts of the rifle that I could, ramrod, various screws and pins, etc.  The last piece was the adjustment screw for the set triggers, missing in the photo below

Below are very similar triggers on another Ky made rifle, the John Clinkenbeard (attributed) rifle pictured on the KRF CD Volume XVII.

This screw was a challenge as it is a 5x48, but I found a die on ebay.  My buddy Clockman turned down a steel rod to the right size for threading on his good lathe.  And I shaped the head of the screw with files in my old worn out lathe.  I think it looks ok.

-Ron

That was the one I looked up the die for wasn't it?I have started using the 3x56 for adjustment
screws and if one gets stripped or otherwise boogered a 4x40 or 48 can be used after rethreading.
The "ears" on the old triggers is easy with a milling machine and a piece of 1018 key stock. In
past years I've made a few of these but prefer the design I now have.
Bob Roller