Author Topic: Robert Hughes Atrib. for Collector  (Read 2602 times)

Offline jdm

• member 2
Robert Hughes Atrib. for Collector
« on: March 04, 2020, 04:08:07 AM »
Heres one I posted five to ten years ago. For Collector and those that didn't see it

JIM

Offline Hlbly

Re: Robert Hughes Atrib. for Collector
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 06:03:08 AM »
Don’t see any Robert Hughes here. Looks like a Soddy rifle to me.

Offline Collector

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 10:00:02 PM »
jdm,  I do remember this longrifle being from, or found in, the Maryville, TN area. 

The single and most notable feature it shares with the attributed Robert Hughes #197, in Bill Ivey's collection, is the side plate, which is rather unique.  There is also a marked similarity in the design of the trigger guard.  In all other respects, it is, I believe (being no expert) a TN rifle.

I think it stands, in evidence of my previous remark about builders of the mountain schools rifles adopting crossover regional styles and features to their own local and stylistic preferences.

Thanks for offering your your photos, to the discussion.  Simple as these rifle appear, there are some few of these rifles whose architecture and worked iron fittings, can't but appeal to and capture our attentions.

I purchased Bill Ivey's book and was so impressed with the attributed Robert Hughes piece, that I had Chuck Edwards plank build a NC rifle, influenced by Ivey's #197 and evidencing some TN influence, as well.  He's known for his iron work and exceptional engraving and builds a solid longrifle.         

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 10:11:58 PM »
That is a beauty. Thanks for sharing
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 01:02:08 AM »
John Clement, Cleveland, TN?

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 03:57:50 PM »
I have this rifle’s twin, minus the patchbox. Mine came from the Maryville area. I posted photos several years ago. They are on the forum somewhere.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Bill Madden

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 04:47:11 PM »
Here is the link to Jim's post: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=18547.0. Unfortunately the pictures of your rifle, Jim, are now gone and the link to the pictures posted by Sequatchie Rifle can't be opened.
Regards, Bill

**Photos now fixed and display properly. Refresh your browser if they don't show for you. Denns 3/6/19**
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 06:32:47 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Collector

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 08:32:21 PM »
I have this rifle’s twin, minus the patchbox. Mine came from the Maryville area. I posted photos several years ago. They are on the forum somewhere.

THAT's the rifle and details I remember and now it has a near identical twin!  That certainly, is no coincidence.     

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 09:47:46 PM »
Bill, Thanks for posting that link. I forgot Dennis posted that for me . I had looked and couldn't find it. I'm still not sure how you did.

Sequatchie  what maker are you onboard with?
JIM

Offline louieparker

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2020, 10:10:44 PM »
JDM  does the rear ramrod pipe finial come to a sharp point on the rear end....LP

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2020, 04:23:22 PM »
Louie, It's straight across. I'll try to get this picture to post. The toe plate and tang  come to a point.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 04:39:21 PM by jdm »
JIM

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2020, 04:25:58 PM »

Hlbly, I would love to have a John Clement rifle but I don't think this is it. I will admit I'm a little out of my comfort zone on these southern rifles.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 04:58:25 PM by jdm »
JIM

Offline Bill Madden

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2020, 05:16:04 PM »
Here is the link to Jim's post: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=18547.0. Unfortunately the pictures of your rifle, Jim, are now gone and the link to the pictures posted by Sequatchie Rifle can't be opened.
Regards, Bill

**Photos now fixed and display properly. Refresh your browser if they don't show for you. Denns 3/6/19**

Thanks Dennis.
Bill

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2020, 10:10:51 PM »
I’ll take a few more this evening and post them. I think the rifle is out in the smokehouse or barn where I left it......
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320