Author Topic: Composite Fowling Gun  (Read 3464 times)

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
Composite Fowling Gun
« on: March 12, 2020, 12:50:10 AM »
I would appreciate constructive criticism on this one. It is my 9th, though 2cnd from a plank. I started it at the Southern Ohio Artisans Workshop gunmakers class in Jan 2019 with Ian Pratt and Ken Gahagan. Can’t say enough good things about the class and how much help those guys are.

It is based on/inspired by one owned by Colonial Williamsburg that is shown in “Of Sorts for Provincials” but is not a copy. There are also several composite pieces with similar profiles shown in Grinslade’s “Flintlock Fowlers.” It perhaps represents a mid-1700’s fowler stocked up from recycled parts.

It has a 28 gauge Rayl barrel and a Rifle Shoppe Queen Anne dog lock that I put together. That lock is big, and it is a beast. I made the trigger, trigger guard, side plate, and thimbles. There is no entry thimble, trigger plate, or butt plate.  I used ferric nitrate crystals for stain and Chamber's oil finish. Mike Brooks was kind enough to engrave the side plate for me. Dave Rase did the barrel inlet and provided the wood.

It is “aged” which I know is not everyone’s cup of tea. My goal was that from six feet away it would look like an antique while hanging on my wall. Haven’t gotten to shoot it yet but the lock sparks just fine.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 01:04:13 AM by Robert Wolfe »
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Composite Fowling Gun
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 02:07:41 AM »
Nice, my kind of gun, like the color. I like your upper and lower forestock moldings. Your scoop at the comb/wrist area is nice too. I have used that lock before, it's dependable, but a bit slow! That big cock has quite a distance to travel, very similar to shooting a brown bess lock time wise.  I'll have to find another of those locks to  build a gun around, it's interesting to shoot a gun with such an archaic lock.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline guido

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 02:16:05 AM »
Love it Robert! Just love that type of composite fowler. When I saw the wood, new it was beautiful. Also saw all the work it took to make that lock fit. Great Job!!

saw

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 02:23:42 AM »
Hi Robert,
Wow! That is a beauty. I think you got everything just right.  I love the double bead along the barrel channel.  Well done!

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 02:31:14 AM »
Oh yeeaah.  Now that's a gun!   That dog lock is way cool.  I love those finishes.  Second from a plank?  I'd say you are on the right track. It reminds me of some of Mr. Hubbard's and Mr. Pratt's work.  Somebody is going to enjoy owning that one.  God Bless,  Marc

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 02:35:01 AM »
That is fabulous !   Just my type of gun .  I just love everything about it.  What does she weigh ?

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 02:39:04 AM »
Absolutely my kind of gun. Super Duper.

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 02:55:20 AM »
Well Robert your persistence has definitely paid off! Congratulations on another very cool gun. I can tell you enjoy doing this type of finish, lots of extra work there and you have done it well.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 03:02:28 AM »
Thanks all, appreciate the comments. In between all the hair pulling it was a lot of fun. Bob - it weighs about 6 pounds.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 06:46:40 AM »
Nothing not to like on this one.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline rennikselum

• Jeff Rogers
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 12:43:55 PM »
Robert,
Fantastic work! Love everything about it.

Jeff

Offline KC

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2020, 03:13:05 PM »
I like that a lot. Very well done, I really like the color of the stock and your aging of the gun. I'm sure it looks great on your wall but I'd be interested to hear how it shoots when you do take it out.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline Jeff64

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 09:14:56 PM »
Very nice!  Craftsmanship, finish, aging, it's the total package.  Curious about your experience building the lock.  I started a post about a week ago about building a lock from a kit and got some pretty good responses.  I'm looking at building a TRS Dutch export lock, similar to what you've done in that it's big.  Any advice?  What power tools did you use, drill press, metal lathe? Interested in anything you'd be willing to share.
R/Jeff

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 10:03:24 PM »
Jeff64 - I had no experience building a lock. The only power tool I used was a drill press. It was a challenge for sure and I about quit a couple of times. I had to get help hardening and tempering parts. I struggled with the halfcock notch not holding and had to get advice on that. It helped me a lot to have a finished lock in front of me. Looking back, I definitely underestimated the challenge for me. Will I do it again - maybe, probably. My lock is functional but it is certainly not up the the standards of a Chamber's lock, that's for sure.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 11:42:10 PM by Robert Wolfe »
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2020, 10:16:14 PM »
Super cool gun. Nicer than the original ever was!  Looks right.
Andover, Vermont

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2020, 12:48:35 AM »
I like the gun!!  Congrats on a fine build.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2020, 02:00:56 AM »
Nice looking fowling piece and the finish looks great. What gauge barrel did you use on it?

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2020, 03:00:45 AM »
Brian, it's a 28 gauge (56 cal) barrel. Really too small for that lock. That caused me lots of headaches with ramrod interference. The mainspring is a full 9/16 inch wide so a bigger breach would have helped me out. But, it was worth it in the end.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 10:53:44 PM by Robert Wolfe »
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2020, 04:10:03 AM »
Love those French inspired lines. Very nice.
Psalms 144

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2020, 10:54:48 PM »
Clark, it was those French lines that drew me to it. Something sexy about them for sure.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2020, 12:41:50 AM »
   Robert very well done...an I sure like it a lot...BUT  when several of the Top buiders tell you it WELL done...it's well done indeed..that to me is a superb compliment.....Oldtravler

Offline DBoone

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2020, 04:08:24 PM »
I love it, Robert!  Excellent job!  I can see that one traveling across the early frontier......

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2020, 04:41:50 PM »
not hurting for quality.  Have you shot it yet?  Some of the replies showed up blank so I didn't know...

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2020, 04:50:32 PM »
Robert that is really a spectacular piece of work!  I'm the kind of person that loves to pick things apart but I honestly can't find anything to pick at other than my nose.  I think you really nailed it.

I love that big honking lock!  I've used a few of them over the years and have never been disappointed.

The overall stock color and shading is just beautiful, too.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2020, 05:33:56 PM »
Robert, I think it is time for you to do a tutorial on stock and metal aging.  Great finishes.  I can only begin to imagine the time you put into that.  God Bless,   Marc