Author Topic: A harvest of thorns  (Read 1931 times)

Offline far55

A harvest of thorns
« on: March 18, 2020, 03:41:08 AM »
I have a red lace locust tree in my yard that apparently was grafted onto other locust root stock. I found this out when I started getting sprouts coming up with green leaves and thorns. I left several grow in an out of the way spot after I read Art DeCamp's book on Horns of the Trade about the Centre county, Pa. horns and harvested some this spring. Any of you guys use thorns to hold the butt plugs in your horns ? It just seemed sorta like the saying about when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Other than predrilling the holes and gluing them in, is there anything else to know about using them ? P.S. I already found out how sharp they are while cutting them off the tree! Thanks, Roland

RoaringBull

Re: A harvest of thorns
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 05:20:16 AM »
I wonder if mesquite thorns would work for that as well?

I know they are tough. I've pulled them from truck tires.

Offline David G

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 03:43:24 PM »
I have a horn made by Matt Blosser where the plug is attached by locust thorns. I would think the thorns would need to be stabilized first before use.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 07:39:41 PM by David G »

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 04:27:43 PM »
I have used Locust thorns in the past.

I cut mine and let them dry prior too using them.
I’m not sure that’s required, but that’s how I did it
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 06:31:56 PM »
Back when I was a teen and spent a lot of time afield, I gathered some of the large seed pods and extracted the seeds.  Always carried a couple in my hunting jacket to suck on.  They are extremely hard and replace the old Indian trick of putting a smooth pebble in your mouth to keep you from getting thirsty.  They work.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 08:16:19 PM »
Those look like the thorns of Honeylocust, which are hollow-and have uses, but fastening wouldn't be my first choice. I'm unfamiliar with that species, so those may be solid.

I'd use thorns of Black Locust  or Osage instead (if I was doing such) because they're solid, and readily available.
Hold to the Wind

Offline wmrike

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 09:09:21 PM »
I use dried, weathered thorns with a slightly rough, weathered surface.  The spindly part of the tip is cut off, and I drill a fairly deep hole before hammering in the thorn and filing it flat.  I've not had an issue with them backing out.

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 09:49:20 PM »
Mine were Black Locust.
Smo

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 04:12:51 PM »
I have used hawthorn thorns after I dried them out.  Just like green wood - I would consider the drying step to be an important part prior to using them.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 11:24:18 PM by Top Jaw »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 05:26:23 PM »
Honey locust primitive fishhooks with nettle line. Work for catfish but not overnight on a bank line.

image posting
Andover, Vermont

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 03:26:29 AM »
I get a lot of 1" to 2" long thorns on my citrus trees.  I cut them off, dry them, and then use them to mount the base plugs in powder horns.

And they are plenty tough enough to use as an awl for punching through leather !

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 05:59:03 AM »
Dang, those remind me of Panama, jungle survival training, and black palm...

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 07:21:35 AM »
Black Palm thorns are certainly spectacular and they are to be feared. Probably too brittle to use as nails though.  They have a tendency to snap off deep in your muscle. Spent 4 years in US Army element in Panama.  Nothing like black palm,  Fer-De-'Lance vipers and electric caterpillars.  Three hundred inches (that is 25 feet) of rain each year wasn't the nicest thing either.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2020, 09:57:46 AM »
Jerry, my unit was the first to go through Jungle School in I think January’90, right after Operation Just Cause.  We helped police Fort Sherman of all the ordnance that was still laying around all over the place. All these complaining little snowflakes of today need to go live in a place like Panama for a month or so...might give them some perspective on how good they have it here in the good ol’ USA.  Good times...

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Spring Hill Bill

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2020, 04:16:25 PM »
I had a near miss with a honey locust thorn that attacked my tractor tire a couple of weeks ago.

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2020, 05:00:10 PM »
Been there , done that... However mine was a direct hit!

Only flat on one side though.. lol
Them Botas are tough!
Smo