Author Topic: Hammer stall question  (Read 4589 times)

Offline Nordnecker

Hammer stall question
« on: March 25, 2020, 02:34:12 PM »
I have used a hammer stall in the past but since the lock held in the half cock position, it never was needed.
I made a new one the other day and decided to try it out. The gun was unloaded.
With the stall in place, I brought the lock to full cock and pulled the trigger. I expected the flint to just bury into the leather and stop, but that's not what happened.
It hit and cut the leather, but the frizzen opened and the flint scraped down the leather, somehow the stall jumped off of the frizzen and I ended up with an open pan. This is not what I expected.
What are your thoughts on this?

"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Mike_StL

Re: Hammer stall question
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 04:08:29 PM »
I have used thick leather on the frizzen stall.  While the flint will cut into the leather, the stall has retained its function and the flint did not reach the face of the frizzen.  By catching in the stall, the frizzen did not open.  Since I remove the frizzen stall when I prime my firearm, on the range, I then use the half cock to prevent firing.

This would be a different concern when hunting.  I suggest using a thick pice of leather to cover the frizzen face.  Replace the hammer stall if the leather has several cuts that may allow the flint to strike the face of the frizzen with the stall in place.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 04:14:23 PM »
Interesting. I make mine slightly differently, maybe fit plays a factor. Maybe try thick but more pliant leather so the flint doesn't scrape it but cuts in a little and gets stuck.

I use mine while hunting and moving from point A to point B with no game in sight.

Offline Molly

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 04:27:09 PM »
Use them with some regularity and my experience is they can be totally effective IF thick enough, properly made and properly fitted.  The back side need to be notched which allows the front to fit down over the face of the frizzen and actually goes below the face maybe 1/4 inch.  The one pictured looks too thin and does not fir well IMO.

chubby

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 06:03:24 PM »
I make mine to cover the front of the flint, with a tab and hole to fit over the flint screw works great!!  Chubby :D

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 08:06:24 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. It actually fits very well when the pan is closed. The notch on the side allows it to slide all the way down past where the barrel contacts the frizzen pan. It isn't real tight around the frizzen, though. It's 3/4 oz leather. I guess I'll try a thicker piece, maybe put the rough side out.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 08:25:23 PM »
I think if it stops an inadvertent discharge, even if it opens the pan, you’re good. I make mine from 3/4 too, just snug. I make them a bit small, wet the leather and force it over.

Offline Dowrat

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 11:42:14 PM »
Chubby. Do you have a photo of your flint cover? Sounds interesting. Thanks.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 11:49:07 PM »
The stalls I make are also usually tight fitting.  I don't use them at the range as I only load just prior to firing.  In the woods I carry the rifle on half cock with stall in place.  Once I take my stand I keep the stall on and go to full cock.  This means that if I see game all I have to do is remove the stall and set the trigger (if I shoot a set trigger, that is).
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 12:17:45 AM »
What Hanshi says. Saved me lots of typing.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 12:21:30 AM »
I only use them if I have to ie if mandated by an event organizer etc.   My guns are on half cock when hunting, and I can bring to full cock silently easily enough. No "clicks" from double set triggers when hunting because I've seen deer and bears instantly react to the sound. That said, my hammer stall has a brass face to it. I had one made from a scrap of leather from a Dyer moccasin , and that leather was like iron.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 04:57:06 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. It actually fits very well when the pan is closed. The notch on the side allows it to slide all the way down past where the barrel contacts the frizzen pan. It isn't real tight around the frizzen, though. It's 3/4 oz leather. I guess I'll try a thicker piece, maybe put the rough side out.

You might try a double layer of the 3-4 oz. Might thicken it up enough to be as substantial as you need.

Mike

Online Daryl

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 08:02:32 PM »
Interesting. I have never used a hammer stall, nor have I ever observed anyone else using one.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 11:39:40 PM »
Daryl, fortunately or unfortunately (as the case may be) some of us are...well, anal.  I'm one of those who tends to "over engineer" on top of being OCD.  I don't think I'm weird but my squeeze is convinced I am.  8)
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2020, 11:30:36 AM »
The stall in the photo is too thin. Possibly too soft also.

I always keep one tied to my rifles with a stout cord or piece of cord. A good hammer stall is like a safety for flintlocks. Even the best parts from the best locks can fail. And if a stall is used it could save a life.
For hunting, for me, a stall is a must have.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2020, 02:46:51 PM »
The stall in the photo is too thin. Possibly too soft also.

I always keep one tied to my rifles with a stout cord or piece of cord. A good hammer stall is like a safety for flintlocks. Even the best parts from the best locks can fail. And if a stall is used it could save a life.
For hunting, for me, a stall is a must have.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

It’s a must have for hunting for me too. It’s like a knee in that regard. Many of my hunts are misty morning, slipping through wet, clothes snagging brush, leaning against the trunk of a dripping tree, in the dark, moments of glasses fogging heaven......

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2020, 03:31:07 PM »
Bob, you just described a typical morning in the Kentucky Appalachians...seems it’s always damp and misty here. Wonderful weather for slippin’ quietly through the timber...

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2020, 04:40:40 PM »
Same as Daryl, Never used one or seen one used.

Can't see the point if the lock works right.   ;)

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2020, 06:41:11 PM »
I'm with Bob, If I am walking through the firs there will be a hammer stall in place for all the same reasons that have bee mentioned. As to not needing one if your lock works fine, they all work fine until they don't.  It's that "Murphy's Law" kinda of thinking I was taught at an early age by my elders.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 09:10:18 PM by MuskratMike »
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2020, 08:34:21 PM »
Muscrat,

Being brought up in England, we never even Heard of such an animal as a hammer stall.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2020, 08:50:37 PM »
We use them for an extra level of safety when the guns are traveling in the trucks.Sometimes all this historically correct nonsense is just that........

Offline little joe

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2020, 09:33:34 PM »
Joe what are you calling nonsence?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2020, 09:54:46 PM »
Well,I'm kinda saying sometimes some folk go a little to far with the historically correct costume getting in the way with safety or even comfort for that matter. Not a dig here but being safe with ones firearms trumps all that make believe

Online Daryl

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2020, 09:56:18 PM »
Interesting statements. Are hammer stall historically correct?  I've only heard about them here.
I'm with Richard on this. I've never had a lock fire from 1/2 cock, percussion or flint.
With a cap lock, would you guys not cap until you saw something to shoot at or would
you have some sort of block over the capped nipple?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2020, 12:49:58 AM »
Chubby. Do you have a photo of your flint cover? Sounds interesting. Thanks.

Ditto.

Mike