Author Topic: We shooting regular?  (Read 10897 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

We shooting regular?
« on: August 01, 2008, 06:22:08 PM »
I'll be pc and ask are we/you shooting at organized shoots on regular basis.. Do you have your calendars marked each weekend where you will go to shoot?

Simpler way to ask:   How many regular organized shoots have you shot in since say May 1st (08).   

I'm curious (read nosey) to see how many on this board do such regular.. 

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: We shooting regular?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 06:35:56 PM »
I for one have never shot any sort of organized shoot...however I usually shoot a range session every weekend year round except during hunting seasons.
Either just for the enjoyment of it, or for serious practice, experimenting with something, chronographing something, pattern testing a different shot load, etc...for example, I had today off from work went to the range at first light, will go again tomorrow morning...but its just me by myself at a little informal range.

I do believe that we will find a majority that do exactly as you do.  I wonder if you don't miss the competition???  That drives me!  In particular if I get my act together and beat a bunch of young pups!  Actually pretty near all of them are 'younger'! ;D

Otter

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 07:02:05 PM »
Zero . . . for various reasons. Most of the "shoots" in this part of the country are a fair skip from my home and they are primarily "woods walk" type of events, which are hardly worth getting the ML dirty. Before we moved here, I attended and participated in at least 6 "formal" competitive ML shoots per year as well as monthly "informal" club shoots. I don't miss the "competition" per se, but do miss hanging with like-minded folks more often. I am not the best shooter but did hold my own, either winning, placing or showing in 40% to 50% of the "formal" shoots.

I do, however, do as roundball does and get to the range on at least a semi-regular basis (once or twice a month). The gun club I'm in is comprised of mostly either magnum oriented modern CF shooters, older military weapon shooters or modern IL ML shooters. There are a few of us that shoot sidelocks and BP CF guns. It is enjoyable to go to the range and make a lot of smoke by myself and "fine tune" my guns without interruption by the big bang guns. I have the fortune of working for myself from home, so if it is a good day to go shooting, I go. Unfortunately, the hot season has arrived and I am less inclined to go in the heat. Yesterday was about 98* F, though, and I did spend over 4 hours at the range - lost about 10 pounds.

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 07:09:48 PM »
1 only - our local rendezvous.  Hefley Creek is coming up soon and that is the only other BP shoot I attend. I do, however try to shoot every week, at least once, sometimes 3 or 4 times. Some others in town go to the Fort McMurray shoot, but it was on the same weekend as ours this year.  The Ft. McMurray guys are a great bunch and are the centre of attraction at times, at Hefley Creek. Last year they put up a 'Shooter Bar'(the other kind), $1.00 per shot - some of the folks had too many 'shots' ;D. This bar was well received. It is incredible how much refreshment they bring - working in the oil patch, etc, there seems to be no shortage of cash.

BrownBear

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 07:47:37 PM »
I shoot a bare minimum of 100 shots a week and usually top 200.  But none on a public range.  That's an hour away, and the only ML shoots are several days and over $1000 in plane fares away.  There's about half a dozen of us that shoot together regular, but no dues beyond loser buying coffee, no meetings, and no rules beyond stringent safety precautions.  Real peaceful like.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 07:48:25 PM by BrownBear »

ironwolf

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 07:51:03 PM »
  My club, "The Florida Frontiersmen",  holds its monthly meeting and shoot on the first weekend of each month,  year round.  Just got our boxes organized for tommorrow as a matter of fact. 
  We try to shoot each month if possible,  although I'm just gettin' back in the groove.
  Last month I shoot my highest score and I'm ready to try again. 

Kevin

www.floridafrontiersmen.org
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 07:53:12 PM by ironwolf »

SPletcher

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 09:02:00 PM »
I shoot at our club's month shoot, 1st Sunday of every month.  Also do about four other events during the year at other clubs...Standing Stone and Danville

Steve

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 09:27:14 PM »
I will shoot on my own, usually alone, at our local range about every week for 3-4 hrs. Also, 3-4 long range matches a year at 1000yd ranges. Two weeks a year at Friendship on the long range (actually mid-range) line as well as the woods walk. Going to start shooting the rb silhouette as well.
Gene

doug

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 09:54:43 PM »
      I try to support the local clubs and am about to leave on my third rondy this year.  We have them on the long weekends from April to September.  I have minimal hope of winning but enjoy meeting the rest of the crowd for a chin wag.  Fort McMurray was excellent as always this year but is a bit of a drive for me plus conflicts with my local club which gives twinges of conscience in those years I attend.  (19 hours drive plus 2 hours on the ferry)
     Heffley is an absolute; can't miss that one  :>)

cheers Doug

Offline b bogart

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 12:24:13 AM »
I shoot almost every Wednesday evening at 6pm with a friend I've known since grade school. Others in the club (Central Ohio Coonhunters) at times shoot bows, suppository guns, etc even while we shoot, but not often. My friend and I are trying to involve others and are discussing putting on regular monthly shoots, and maybe even a couple of mini-rondys (weekend affairs?) next year. Central Ohio has a couple of highly competitive clubs (are you paying attention here Mr Fisher?), but we are more the shoot the breeze and targets type. Heck I'm even going to try to get TimbukII to join us. He lives very close too! I'm just getting back involved in muzzleloading so I need the practice before I take my lack of shooting skills public. The other shooters need a little comic relief you know!
Bruce

Edd

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 12:40:48 AM »
I shoot at our ML club range almost every month just in practice. I attend about five major shoots per year.

The madam and I shoot/compete with each other, here on the farm, a few times each year.  In addition, I compete against myself quite often.

I look at 'em and tote 'em around rather much too. I've discovered a tremendous amount of pleasure reading/studying 'bout these real guns over the years... 

Edd

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 01:23:04 AM »
I shoot at our club's month shoot, 1st Sunday of every month.  Also do about four other events during the year at other clubs...Standing Stone and Danville

Steve
Danville shot last Sunday (took a day from Dixons Fair) 10 shooters....
If you want a goodn head for Whispering Pines then the next weekend the State shoot at Sheshequin :)

ERH

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 01:29:28 AM »
I shot at maybe 6 or so I know I would do better  if roger would stop showing up (pa chunk gun shoot) ;D ;D ;D just kidding roger

California Kid

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 02:26:38 AM »
I go organized shoots the first, second, and third Sunday Usually every month. I'm originally from Lancaster Pa. I think that's  pretty amazing for Southern CA. I shoot more here than I did in PA. The weather here allows us to shoot year round.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 03:14:20 AM »
Simpler way to ask:   How many regular organized shoots have you shot in since say May 1st (08).   

I'm curious (read nosey) to see how many on this board do such regular.. 

Counting May, four...  By the end of the year, Twelve (9 local, 1 Rendezvous Spring Shoot, 1 Rendezvouse Summer Shoot, 1 State Shoot).

If anyone is wondering about Postal Shoots... NMLRA Monthly -  July, August, September, & October,,, (I missed May & June), and the NMLRA
National Postal Shoot,,, and of course our own ALR Chunk Match right here ran by Daryl...

I also shoot in a year round Archery Target League that is a shoot'em and post'em through a website out of ol' England...  Lots of fun with that. :)

Dave K

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 03:34:29 AM »
I am probably like Roundball and many of the others. I have been to organized shoots and had a good time, but actually shooting by myself is more enjoyable to me. I am never being rushed or held up and can test and shoot to find out what makes my gun happy. As far as competition, I know I a not as good a shooter as some at the local ML'er club, heck, the one shooter is a national champion.....again. I am though my toughest competition. Always finding ways to improve my shooting.

chapmans

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 04:31:50 AM »
 For about 10 years or more I went to a shoot every weekend plus we shot in a league on Wed. nights, all muzzleloading, I ran one of the shoots on the 3rd Sun of every month for 8 years, and attended an annual invitational, plus a 3 day event the1st weekend in August.( this is the first year I didn't attend in about 20 yrs because my father-inlaw passed away last Tues.) plus the twice a year trek to Friendship. Now that my job has switched to the dreaded 12 hr shifts I have to work every other weekend I can only go to 2 shoots a month and can plan some vacation for some of the invitational and 3 day events plus Friendship. Did I mention I like shooting muzleloaders!!
 Steve C.

451whitworth

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 04:36:01 AM »
i also shoot solo. i am lucky to have my own range on my parent's farm. i went to a public range once in my life and didn't realized how good i have it. the amount of shooting and testing i do would be impossible at a public range. i am attending a long range muzzleloader match this fall for the first time though.

Jim Thomas

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 05:00:22 AM »
Other than the local club, I havn't traveled ....yet.   I've wanted to, and plan to in the future.  This year has just been one of those years.   My grandaughter has needed my time.  Planning to build her a rifle and get her involved to eliminate the conflict.    Just a little young yet.     

The Troy NRA youth club holds a BP shoot every year.   The young'ns come to ours and I am planning to attend theirs.  

Had a nice discussion with Wayne Flora last Feb at the Lewisburg show.   He got me all worked up!!  Hopefully next year will dispense more time for travel.    I realize the need to support as many clubs as I can.     We're all in this together.            

Offline Kingsman06

• Starting Member
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 12:21:26 AM »
I shoot regularly, usually about twice a month.  I go solo since I can't find anyone close that does black powder.  I do not have a range or club in the area since I retired.  I am forced to find a hollow or old mine site to use as a range.  Not great but it works.
Dave Zoellers

coutios

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 03:58:10 AM »

Shoot most Saturdays at a local BP range. Not many club shoots anymore. Seen to have lost that competive spirit but not the love of a flint gun....

Regards
Dave