Author Topic: Couple of Snakes Scrimmed  (Read 1511 times)

Offline aaronc

Couple of Snakes Scrimmed
« on: March 26, 2020, 09:20:47 PM »
Here's a Join or Die and BFranklin snake on a flatty,.......snake only on a matching primer. Horns by Bill Smith and myself.

- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Couple of Snakes Scrimmed
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 09:27:50 PM »
 Nice and sharp, well done.

Tim

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 10:21:43 PM »
Yes, yes, and *#+^ yes. Really fine attention to detail. Thank you so much for posting them.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 11:56:25 PM »
Nice ones Aaron!  I like ‘em a lot!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline old george

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 01:36:55 AM »
I really like the "flatties." Those are really sharp!

george
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 02:09:32 PM »
I really like that little flat primer. I had the notion of making something similar but it didn't work out for me. That horn is super.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 04:36:48 PM »
At first I thought the historical context of your 1754 date and the join or die snake was too early. But it turns out I was incorrect. That is the year Franklin first used it as a political cartoon to prod colonial unity.  Even though we were fighting with the Brits against the French at the time.  It was obviously more universally adopted during the Rev War, which is what we normally associate it with.  Although it had been around 20+ years by then.   Nice job on the scrim.

Wow, I guess “older people” can learn new things sometimes!  😄

Offline aaronc

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 09:10:18 PM »
At first I thought the historical context of your 1754 date and the join or die snake was too early. But it turns out I was incorrect. That is the year Franklin first used it as a political cartoon to prod colonial unity.  Even though we were fighting with the Brits against the French at the time.  It was obviously more universally adopted during the Rev War, which is what we normally associate it with.  Although it had been around 20+ years by then.   Nice job on the scrim.

Wow, I guess “older people” can learn new things sometimes!  😄

Yes you are correct,....first seen in the Penn. Gazette in 1754. I have used the 1776 date on these as well...I simply chose to do the original on this one. At some point in time I plan to do one of Paul Revere's snakes with the dragon representing England,....just haven't got to it yet. I'm sure it's less will known but I like the image. It was a 1774 cartoon published in the Massachusetts Spy. Thanks -Aaron

- Aaron C
At the work bench.