Author Topic: Nice piece just hit the shop  (Read 2000 times)

Offline WKevinD

Nice piece just hit the shop
« on: March 27, 2020, 08:15:44 PM »
This was just brought in (last week) from a guy that picked it up at auction. Needed a little love but overall in pretty nice shape. No makers marks inside or out but I really like the simplicity of it's adornments.
.45 caliber, 37" barrel.

Kevin

PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline 120RIR

Re: Nice piece just hit the shop
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 08:29:40 PM »
Nice "folksy" motifs.  Some appear reminiscent of the classic Pennsylvania German designs - tulips and the like.  I'd be interested to hear what others have to say about the rifle's origins.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 11:13:13 PM »
Nice rifle! Thank you for bringing it here for us to see. Can't see all the details, but it has a 'Huntingdon County' look to it. The PB design and the butt plate finial suggest that origin. Don't recall seeing many from there that had carving, so I may be a bit off on my conjecture,
Again, thank you
Dick 

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 02:05:38 AM »
Dick,

I agree - the forward trigger along with the patch box made me think the same thing. I had a rifle similar to this made by J.H. Hoffman who dabbled in rifle building.

Nice rifle - thanks for posting.

Buck

Offline hornturner

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 06:21:15 PM »
This rilfle looks like an S.M. Shillito to me.  See similar rifle is the Bill Bowers book.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 07:35:06 PM »
I'm not familiar with the Bill Bowers book , Title, publisher???
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 08:31:34 PM »
I just googled SM Shillito This rifle is definately by either father SM Shillito or son, no signature but style and form are a match.

Thanks,
Kevin

Offline Kevin

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 08:12:40 PM »
Kevin

Book title is Gunsmiths of Pen-Mar-Va 1790-1840 authored by William S. Bowers.  Published in 1979 by Irwinton Publishers, Mercersburg, PA

Kevin

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 04:35:00 AM »
Kevin

Book title is Gunsmiths of Pen-Mar-Va 1790-1840 authored by William S. Bowers.  Published in 1979 by Irwinton Publishers, Mercersburg, PA

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin