Author Topic: Mowrey .36 shot  (Read 1725 times)

Offline AZshot

Mowrey .36 shot
« on: March 29, 2020, 05:10:35 AM »
In preparation for my Gillespie rifle that's coming soon, I thought I would dust off the Old Mowrey rifle.  I've had it about 25 years, last time I shot it probably 10 years ago.  Like riding a bike. The only missing items were my old powder measure with the gradulations.  I measured how much a flask spout would pour, 20 grains, and doubled it each load.  Then was missing my old patch lube bottle.  Tried Hoppes no. 9.  I don't like it, won't do that again.  Then I found the only percussion caps were no. 10s for my Colt, so found an old 1950-60ss tin of Remington no. 11s.  But it fired fine, as always. 

Jim Evans

Re: Mowrey .36 shot
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 01:03:30 PM »
Just wondering if you used the Black Powder Hoppes, or the boar cleaner?
There is a difference.

Offline AZshot

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 03:35:47 PM »
Ah-so, I didn't know they made a BP version.  That must be why there is a brown residue coming out of my bore now when cleaning it. I'll use something better. My choices at the house (I'm not going out shopping during this virus) are some bees wax/olive oil mix, and some neatsfoot oil.  It's very dry desert here. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 06:49:34 PM by AZshot »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 12:15:30 AM »
The regular #9 Hoppes for smokeless is worse than useless for black powder.  The Black Powder #9 Patch Lube or the BP bore cleaner is great stuff and I use it a lot for patch lube.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 12:22:20 AM »
As with Hanshi, I found Hoppe's BP patch lube (used to be called #9 Plus) to be quite excellent as a patch lube.
I found it second only to LehighValley lube and equal in most guns. I also found these slippery lubes require a bit
more powder to shoot the same as with a water based lube.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline AZshot

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 11:54:03 PM »
Thanks all.  After the Great 22 Shortage, and now the Great TP Shortage, I'm hoping to become more self sufficient in my materials.  I think I'll try the beeswax and olive oil first.  My son works with bees. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 05:33:36 AM »
Beeswax makes good bullet lube, if mixed with an oil. By itself, it is not a lubricant.

Many non-petroleum oils do well as patch lubes.  Mink Oil sold by Trackofthewolf does especially well as a patch lube but is actually a paste,
 as does Neetsfoot oil.
I have not heard of anyone using straight olive oil as a patch lube, but coconut oil also has a fan club.

I would not mix olive oil with beeswax for a patch lube.  As a bullet lube, olive oil and beeswax was sub-par in my RIFLES both of them.
On the other hand, Beeswax/Vaseline did work amazingly well, as well as SPG and Lyman's BP Gold.
Daryl

Offline AZshot

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 07:19:10 PM »
Thanks, but it's what I have on hand, besides neatsfoot oil.  I've researched both for several hours and found a good sampling of users.  And both give 50% saying it's great, and 50% saying it's terrible.  I know things like cleaning methods and patch lube are very subjective and personal.  So I'll have to just see what works for me.  I know I don't want to be beholden to some store bought product, that can run out, or stores can close, and so on. 

I do use SPG for my BP Cartridge rifle loads.  I guess that's a 3rd thing I have on hand, til it runs out.  From it's smell, I guess SPG has beeswax in it too.  Not sure of the oil.  But I also have olive oil on hand... 

May try coconut oil at some point...when the stores are safe to return to. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 09:29:25 PM »
I would use the Neetsfoot oil and be done. The others might be useful as an experiment, but we all know Neetsfoot oil works
as it is. No wax needed.
Daryl