Author Topic: Mike Brooks Tutorial?  (Read 1514 times)

Offline Bigmon

Mike Brooks Tutorial?
« on: March 29, 2020, 10:51:18 PM »
Ready to start shaping my first from a plank.  I recall there being some good info on Mike's tutorial, but I can't fine it.  How do I access it?
Thanks

Offline jrb

Offline Bigmon

Re: Mike Brooks Tutorial?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 01:10:39 AM »
Thanks for that.  This is gonna be a big challenge for me.  I done quite a few from pre-forms from one stage of another, but never a butt stock.  AGGGH!!

Offline heinz

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 01:27:04 AM »
Just relax.   The Brooks tutorial is excellent. If you get confused just ask.  All that extra wood is your friend.  I am assuming you have had the barrel inlet?
kind regards, heinz

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 03:12:06 AM »
Building from a blank is easier than from a pre-carve. It only seems harder.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 04:34:08 PM »
If anybody would like to take a class and build from a blank  just like in  my tutorial I'd be glad to teach it. I think we could get a gun together in five days starting with the barrel and RR hole already in. I can teach it at friendship educational center.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 05:05:57 PM »
Mike,  I would do that class in a heartbeat, but we are just so far away from each other.  I really wish I could

Here is where I'm at.  Sprnt the afternoon yesterday sharpening up planes and chisels, etc.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 05:41:06 PM »
Follow my tutorial and you'll be fine.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 09:18:07 AM »
Mikes tutorial helped me a great deal when I started building - an a good deal of years after that!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing